Ohio State Announces "Rivalry" Uniform for Michigan Game

ESTONES6

The undershirt makes sense when you know the story. And don't be mistaken, there was a huge discussion about having or not having the stripes there, and how much should show. Ultimately it was decided to keep them to help tell the story of that stripe, which is a major component of the uniform. I wish I could explain the whole thing but I can't I don't think.

Don't try and be coy, because you know something we don't.

Educate.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I frankly am not sure if the story makes it past the athletic department to be honest. It's something that we don't like that doesn't get out to the public because it would give a lot more insight into the uniform design, but that's not really up to us, it's up to the marketing folks.

And ESTONES6 i'm not trying to be coy - I'm limited by the Non-Disclosure Agreement I signed as to what I can and cannot discuss.

OD_Signature.jpg

I frankly am not sure if the story makes it past the athletic department to be honest. It's something that we don't like that doesn't get out to the public because it would give a lot more insight into the uniform design, but that's not really up to us, it's up to the marketing folks.

And ESTONES6 i'm not trying to be coy - I'm limited by the Non-Disclosure Agreement I signed as to what I can and cannot discuss.

So Nike and Ohio State want to intentionally be vague when it comes to special edition uniforms that are supposed to have historical significance/relevance?

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I don't think it's intentional, there's just so much going on for each party that it tends to get lost in the shuffle.

So then they aren't trying to be vague, so then what are you being coy about?

What I said in my original post is that I'm not sure I can go into the specifics of the story behind the uniform. I believe that would violate the terms of my NDA. I'd love to explain the concept but I don't believe I can.

Saying what year/generation they represent or were inspired by is a violation of the NDA?

The undershirt makes sense when you know the story. And don't be mistaken, there was a huge discussion about having or not having the stripes there, and how much should show. Ultimately it was decided to keep them to help tell the story of that stripe, which is a major component of the uniform. I wish I could explain the whole thing but I can't I don't think.

Honestly, to me, the undershirt looks like a mistake. I can understand what's being done elsewhere with the oversized helmet, sleeve and pant stripes to go along with the oversized numerals that the Buckeyes of the Champion era were known for, but the pattern on the sleeve of the jersey terminates the idea properly, in my opinion. To add another half set of stripes on the baselayer seems redundant. If the stripe were begun with a half set of stripes on the jersey sleeve and then was completed by the half set of stripes on the baselayer, I think it's gold.

Of course you say it's tied to the story, but I'm pretty well versed in Buckeye history, and I'm lost on it. It may just be too esoteric of an idea, or maybe it's just a case of taking the story too far; taking it to a level that's a little bit too deep that even fans of the team aren't picking it up as intended.

Overall, though. I think the oversized theme is good. I still think there is a little too much design in the execution of these, but I definitely appreciate the concept.

What I said in my original post is that I'm not sure I can go into the specifics of the story behind the uniform. I believe that would violate the terms of my NDA. I'd love to explain the concept but I don't believe I can.

Saying what year/generation they represent or were inspired by is a violation of the NDA?

If he were to discuss details of the specific school, be it about design, inspiration, process, dealings, whatever, he'd be speaking on behalf of the school or company or both. In general, only the PR/Marketing team does this for a company, so he would be in danger of breaking the NDA. Meaningless as the violation may be, it not something you would want to make a habit of.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I always appreciate the designers understanding the history in the uniforms. Ohio State is tough to rebrand because of their iconic traditions in uniform. However, Nike has knocked each one out of the park the last 4seasons. Each uniform has harkened back to a national championship year and special elements from those uniforms were used.

If I had to guess, the sleeve stripe on the under shirt would be representative of the long sleeve and "low" stripe detail from the 68 uniforms which would fall near low upper ar near the elbow.

The names on the back of the 68 jerseys were black font, but there were also black numbers nnthe sleeve above the stripe. These were left off the release for this season.

As for the helmet I would have loved to see Nike reference the large buckeye leaves that we're used in 68. That would have made this helmet pop, touch on history and be modern at the same time.

Overall, great job!!!! I love them!

Outside of the odd sleeve stripe thing, I really like it. Ohio State's "rivalry/pro combat" looks have been pretty good overall. The only one I thought they missed on was the solid red helmet look a few years back.

EDIT:

Found a few more pics...

osu1.jpg

osufullfrontal.jpg

osuhelmet.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

I really can't stand that huge-ass helmet stripe.

lol, you know on the helmet alone i dont think i like it either, but when seeing everything together it really looks good to me. all the oversized elements work well with each other and makes for one bad ass, tough uniform. cant wait to see it on the field

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Outside of the odd sleeve stripe thing, I really like it. Ohio State's "rivalry/pro combat" looks have been pretty good overall. The only one I thought they missed on was the solid red helmet look a few years back.

EDIT:

Found a few more pics...

osu1.jpg

osufullfrontal.jpg

osuhelmet.jpg

To me this is a great, modern, update to a classic look. Well done.

You know, after getting more looks at these, I've got a few more observations. So, with all this focus on the oversized theme, I think it's extremely important that the proportions of all the elements match, otherwise the effect of all the stripes looking 'the same' is lost, even if they are only a tiny bit off. Ohio State's normal uniform suffers from this with the pant stripe, in which the ratio of black to white is off a bit when compared to the helmet and the sleeve. On this one, the black area of the sleeve stripe on the jersey is much greater than that of the helmet and pant, and on the photos I've seen thus far, it seems the helmet stripe is noticeably larger than the pant stripe, though I'll reserve final judgment on that until I can see more photos.

I like how the sheen of the numerals matches that of the helmet. I've often wondered about silver numerals on Ohio State, and I think the experiment is successful, based on the photos. The flatness of the pants, however, is the big miss because of how well the numerals and helmet seem to look together.

The chrome stripe on the helmet feels like an isolated element. I think using a foil on the jersey sleeve and on the pant would have tied this whole thing together perfectly.

Lastly, these NEED oversize buckeyes on the helmet, like the old days. I'm holding out hope.

Overall, I'm still really impressed with these. I think it's those ideas that we really love and are so close to perfect but fall just shy in the execution that we tend to critique the hardest.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Going back to the white, red, and silver with red pro combat helmets from the last 3 years... none of those had Buckeye leaves. That being said, I believe those are from eras BEFORE the Buckeye leaves were added to helmets. I agree it would be a great addition to the uniform and probably be the highlight of it.

I HATE when Nike puts the school name on the back of the uniform. Its so cheesy and again, is an over saturation, cheapening the impact of it.

Archived