2013 NFL Off-Season Thread

Island_Style

I dunno.

I don't think Gabbert's had enough talent around him to unequivocally prove that he's a no-talent hack just yet.

Then again, I DO think he's proven that he's NOT the kind of all-world QB that can raise a team's performance just by his presence, a la Peyton Manning or even Andrew Luck.

Sigs are for sissies.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno.

I don't think Gabbert's had enough talent around him to unequivocally prove that he's a no-talent hack just yet.

Then again, I DO think he's proven that he's NOT the kind of all-world QB that can raise a team's performance just by his presence, a la Peyton Manning or even Andrew Luck.

Agreed. However, talent or not this will be the last year to prove something. New owner, GM and coach since he was drafted. People like that have shorter patience with guys they didnt draft.

Next year's QB class is gonna be so much better than this one. Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Football, Tajh Boyd, Aaron Murray, Logan Thomas, A.J. McCarron, Zach Mettenberger and Derek Carr could all go in the first 2-3 rounds.

Got a feeling the Eagles are gonna burn their 2nd on EJ Manuel though

National Football Scouting president Jeff Foster, who runs the NFL scouting combine, confirmed that a hotel room was left trashed during the February 2013 event in Indianapolis. However, Foster refused to identify the two players who shared the room for three nights, though sources have indicated that one of the two prospects is a potential first-round pick in next week's NFL draft.

The behavior included urine and feces scattered about the bathroom, toothpaste on the mirror and garbage strewn about the room. Among the garbage was partially eaten food left on one of the beds. The players to whom the room was registered have denied their involvement to NFL team representatives who have questioned them at their respective pro days

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--combine-organizer--players--trashed-hotel-room-included-partially-eaten-food-left-on-bed-215753040.html

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Next year's QB class is gonna be so much better than this one. Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Football, Tajh Boyd, Aaron Murray, Logan Thomas, A.J. McCarron, Zach Mettenberger and Derek Carr could all go in the first 2-3 rounds.

I am a FSU guy. You dont want him.

National Football Scouting president Jeff Foster, who runs the NFL scouting combine, confirmed that a hotel room was left trashed during the February 2013 event in Indianapolis. However, Foster refused to identify the two players who shared the room for three nights, though sources have indicated that one of the two prospects is a potential first-round pick in next week's NFL draft.

The behavior included urine and feces scattered about the bathroom, toothpaste on the mirror and garbage strewn about the room. Among the garbage was partially eaten food left on one of the beds. The players to whom the room was registered have denied their involvement to NFL team representatives who have questioned them at their respective pro days

http://sports.yahoo....-215753040.html

Jeez, this is the NFL combine, not a fraternity formal. You'd think these guys would be smarter than that when millions of dollars are on the line.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Jacksonville's GM says they've narrowed the #2 pick down to two guys. I'm assuming it's Dion Jordan and either Geno Smith or Sharrif Floyd

My guess was Dion Jordan or Ansah. Still maybe Geno but Caldwell also said that he thinks the QB draft class is deep. Perhaps a clue that he will go QB in the later rounds.

That's my guess too. My hope is still that we can finagle a couple picks from the Dolphins to move down to 12. And I honestly feel the Jags will be staring at a top 3 pick again next season so I am in no rush to get a QB this draft at all.

I think our second rounder will be traded.

I am looking forward to drafting a QB. I like some of these QBs. We got to get someone in there. Henne and Gabs can't stand alone. I would like to see Gabs fight it out with an unproven rookie rather than Henne who will always be a nobody. If the youth fails, then we try again in '14. The battle will be 2013 draft pick vs the 2014 pick. (wouldn't mind Bridgewater.) With Gabbert holding a clipboard somewhere else.

I dunno.

Agreed. However, talent or not this will be the last year to prove something. New owner, GM and coach since he was drafted. People like that have shorter patience with guys they didnt draft.

The problem I see is that the talent coming out next year at QB right now looks MUCH better than this years. And if the Jags take a QB in the top two rounds this year, I just can't see them spending another pick there next year.I personally would load the team everywhere else .. let Henne and Gabbert fight it out for who will have the backup duties behind Bridgewater next season.

I'd much rather see Jordan at #2 (if we can't find a trading partner), a trade back at #33 to accumulate some picks and maybe find another weapon for the offense .... Lacy? Reed? Jones-Drew will be gone after this season ... and Lewis has come crashing back to earth after he signed that contract a couple seasons ago.

After round 2 ... just start filling the roster with solid guys during the late rounds. With so many holes, you can really just take the best player on the board for the rest of the draft after that and not go wrong.

fP8H4Wf.jpg

This may be of passing interest to Saints fans and others who are interested in jersey numbers for whatever reason...Mark Ingram has switched from #28 to #22. I'm sure everyone who bought an Ingram jersey will be thrilled about that (although it's probably not a huge number of people). New CB Keenan Lewis takes over #28, LB Victor Butler has #90, QB Seneca Wallace will wear #10, and TE Ben "Champ Bailey Ain't So Fast" Watson will be #82.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The 2013 NFL regular season sked will be announced Thursday at 7pm EDT.

I hope the Jags' one and only primetime game will be home. Night games are so much more fun. Even if your team sucks. It will make up for losing the 49ers. The Jags past play on the field will curry them no favors.

Well, Mike Lombardi may have a little more freedom the next few weeks.

FBI raids Haslam's Pilot Flying J HQ on Monday.

A company spokeswoman told The Plain Dealer that the FBI arrived "sometime after lunch" but that no one knew why.

Knoxville television station WBIR reported that FBI agents refused to allow traffic to enter the headquarters grounds, wouldn't answer questions and told their reporters to leave.

Marshall Stone, spokesman for the FBI's Knoxville office, said the investigation involves the FBI and the IRS, and they cannot comment on the nature of the probe, WBIR said. Stone said the facility is continuing to operate and to his knowledge, nothing the FBI has done will prevent the company from continuing to operate.

Most Eagles fans don't want him either, but apparently Chip loves the kid

Maybe he is teachable with the right people. His mind is my greatest concern. He had trouble reading defenses. NC State worked him in the second half when they played around more.

Maybe he is teachable with the right people. His mind is my greatest concern. He had trouble reading defenses. NC State worked him in the second half when they played around more.

The "QB Mind" is the biggest issue for every guy coming out in today's collegiate offenses. There are few "pro-style" QBs. Most of the current crop, both this year and next, never have to call audibles. They quickly go to the line with one play called and if the defense is lined up differently or is able to substitute, the entire offense looks toward the sideline for the audible to run that play. The QB then only has to check down at worst.

The sideline audible issue has been discussed by GMs during the last two combines and drafts, so it will still become and issue when the HS kid runs an offense with the same concept and goes through 7-on7s throughout their career.

However, one Hall of Fame head coach did say the following about drafting a QB.

1. He must be a senior, because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback.
  2. He must be a graduate, because you want someone who takes his responsibilities seriously.
  3. He must be a three-year starter, because you need to make sure his success wasn’t ephemeral and that he has lived as “the guy” for some period of time.
  4. He must have at least 23 wins, because the big passing numbers must come in the context of winning games.

In terms of Super Bowl winning QBs, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning and Trent Dilfer — met all four requirements when drafted.

That HOF coach who made the list was Bill Parcells, who elected to draft Jake Long over Matt Ryan who met all of his criteria. But he elected to take Pat White in the 2nd who met the same criteria.

Look at the Class of 2011 to also talk about his thoughts

Eagles players came back in from practice at today's minicamp and found.....personalized smoothies :therock:

Vick added 8 pounds of muscle already, and Celek claims the playcalling is "going to change the league" and is "something that they never even thought possible in the NFL". I guess we're gonna see the big goofy cards?

Archived