The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

The Blackhawks would probably wait on adding an expensive goaltender that would necessitate sending money back the other way. Probably wait until they're not allowing fewer than two goals a game.

Flames still don't know how to run an AHL team. Looks they're heading to Utica in 2014.

http://flamesnation....sford-for-utica

Calgary Steamed Hams

no wait that's an Albany expression.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People of Utica: Grab your pitchforks and station yourselves at the borders. Also, dig a moat around your arena.

Ideally, this would kill Abbotsford, but the rumors keep circling about the Canucks wanting to move there. Which would leave Chicago as the odd team out. Which would make me call for air strikes on the entire province of Alberta.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

God, Utica (the city) is dying already. I can only imagine that shackling them with the Flames for a couple of years would turn the place into East Detroit or New Cairo (the Illinois one).

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm going out on a limb here, but somehow an NHL team based in Calgary wouldn't seem like the best parent club for an AHL team based in Utica.

They wouldn't be the best parent club for an AHL team based in Calgary.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Reading HFBoards about possible minor-league relocations (the only reason I read HFBoards, by the way), and apparently there's talk of the Wild pulling out of Houston for no damn good reason. So, Flames to Utica, Canucks to Abbotsford, Wild to Chicago? Ugh, I don't want to lose the Wolves or the Aeros, and if they both die so Abby can keep Glendaling itself and all those dead factory towns in the Northeast can shave a few bucks off bus fare, I'll just hate everything.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Wolves aren't going anywhere. They do too well, and the Horizon needs an anchor tenant. NO, DEPAUL BASKETBALL, THAT ISN'T YOU. As long as Don Levin isn't swapping out Wolves ownership for a Seattle expansion team, they'll be there.

Again, the AHL needs to decide what it is and what they aspire to be. Do they want to be the old IHL and have a footprint of all the markets that don't have the hockey base to sustain the NHL? Or are they a charming northeastern bus league? If the Flames leave Abbotsford, as they should, then it should suffer the fate of every previous place the Flames have put a team and never be in the AHL again. They can't keep trying this quarter-assed coast-to-coast model. It isn't working.

My solution is a 16-team smallish-town AHL and a 16-team mid-major IHL (or 18 and 14; I'd have to check a map). That leaves you with two more farm teams than there are parent teams, to which I say just make the Wolves independent so they can't ruin an organization's developmental system (unless that organization is the Canucks, in which case don't stop the music).

Abbotsford really needs to become the Canucks affiliate. Abbotsford is too far from the lower mainland for people to bothered to drive out there to watch a bunch of Flames prospects. A lot of people in the lower mainland are Canucks fan rather than hockey fans. The only times I considered going to a game was when the Wolves or Moose came to town. I would anticipate a large spike in attendance if the Canucks farm team played there and I would cherish to opportunity to watch some of the Canucks prospects first hand.

Abbotsford can become the Canucks' affiliate in the ECHL, then, and make runs up and down the West Coast.

Abbotsford_zps7f75bd0c.png

1 goal in 2 games so far for the Sabres' Ron Rolston era. Anybody want Thomas Vanek at the trade deadline?

Do you think the Sabres would consider trading Miller?

He's been on the decline and is entering his contract. He also seems to be growing increasingly frustrated with the Sabres. I could see the Blackhawks or Leafs having interest. I know Crawford and Reimer have been playing well this year but I'm not sure either team is really confident that those guys could lead their teams to a cup.

The situation is completely screwed up right now. Should they consider it? Absolutely... Miller, Myers, Vanek... they should listen to any offer. The problem is that our GM should have been fired either with Lindy Ruff or in place of him, yet he's still the one making the decisions. Darcy Regier is married to his players. The boldest trade he's made in 15+ years as GM was Derek Roy for Steve Ott last summer. Regier has been here long enough that every single player was drafted, traded for, or signed by him and it's been that way since Martin Biron was traded in 06-07. Even though it's completely "his" roster, do we have the talent to contend for the Cup? No.

I'm watching the Devils' feed of the Jets game. Chico Resch bubbles over with childlike wonder at everything. It's rather nice. He's like the Red Kerr of hockey. The pbp guy with the thick Joizey accent is fitting, but grating. Kris Bawch. David Clawkson. Adam Lawson. Ugh. It's like someone said "well, if you want to be a broadcaster, you can either fix your Rs, or you can call New Jersey Devils games," and he said "awl take the latta, it'd be too hawd to stawp now."

So, hey, Panthers, this is what a -24 differential team is supposed to look like.

That would be Steve Cangelosi, one of the "reporters who hung around MSG forever interviewing Valeri Zelepukin between periods for so many years that when Doc Emrick left to do NBCSN full time he was the only guy we could find to move into the booth" type guys from MSG.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived