You're saying that he automatically loses his ability? MLS is like kryptonite?

No but isn't it a bit like Kinsi's "We'd rather play Belgium 10 times than El Salvador 100" comment? MLS isn't like kryptonite but I can't help but think that he won't be better prepared for the World Cup playing the likes of United, Chelsea, Liverpool, etc. rather than MLS teams. Playing higher-level competition can only be a good thing, no?

I also think it could harm American players' attempts to move to Europe in the future. If the stigma of "America's best player couldn't make it at Spurs and had to go back to the MLS" hangs around, that can't be a good thing for US players.

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're saying that he automatically loses his ability? MLS is like kryptonite?

No but isn't it a bit like Kinsi's "We'd rather play Belgium 10 times than El Salvador 100" comment? MLS isn't like kryptonite but I can't help but think that he won't be better prepared for the World Cup playing the likes of United, Chelsea, Liverpool, etc. rather than MLS teams. Playing higher-level competition can only be a good thing, no?

I also think it could harm American players' attempts to move to Europe in the future. If the stigma of "America's best player couldn't make it at Spurs and had to go back to the MLS" hangs around, that can't be a good thing for US players.

That's exactly what I was saying with that comment. When I said "Bad for US Soccer" I meant it in the broader sense.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

MLS at 24 teams would likely be 4 divisions (or groups) of 6 teams. Play each team in your division 4 times and everyone else once. That is a 38 game season.

Yep, that's basically what I was thinking. More teams, a schedule that doesn't feature too many matches (it's the number same as the English Premier League, for example), owners don't have to fret about relegation, and the set up is a familiar one to fans of American sport. Hopefully it would keep everyone reasonably happy.

Sorry, there is/was a multi-million dollar player who is as the age of Dempsey and "marketable" which MLS misses out on (for now)...

Kaka

He is still a fine player, and his English is great. This Real Madrid series in California, illustrated that ones ability to speak English is a big time asset.

I have mixed feelings. At first I was against it thinking it was bad for USMNT. But he wasn't going to get as much time with the Spurs this upcoming season. To play is much better than to not.

But then I was thinking, this is another step along the way to soccer becoming more legitimate in this country.

Look at the last few months:

- an American team pays $40+ million for 1 player (an American to boot!)

- an expansion team is charged $100 million to join

- team sells for $68 million

- 4 new top level teams are coming

- 2 new 2nd level teams are coming (plus 3 to start next year)

- the MLS wants all teams to be affiliated with a 3rd level team by 2015 (something that is done in Germany, the best run leagues in the world)

- 39k at a friendly in Phenoix

- 42k at a friendly in Indianapolis

- 9k supporters section for US/Mexico in September

- just won the Gold Cup (yes against B teams, but with our B team...)

- USMNT has won 11 straight

- A-list music acts for MLS All-star week (could be where that NYCFC expansion money went but still, 10 years ago it was state fair style line ups...)

- NBC (!) is going to be showing premier league games

- The most famous team in American history kicks back off tonight. Love them or hate them, having the Cosmos around is a good thing.

- sports shows are dedicating time to the sport. It was for horrible reasons but would Real Sports have ever done a MLS piece 5-10 years ago?

- probably missed a few things too

Yes there are issues. Is this too much growth? 1/3 of the MLS teams aren't making money. (I'm sure the single entity thing helps some here) the 2nd division league is 3 years old and doubled in size, is that too fast? Is there enough talent? Etc.

But with all those things I listed, if I told you in 2008 that all that was gonna happen in 2013, well even the most hardened soccer hater would admit that it would be impressive.

I thought it was 2/3 of teams not making money?

Obviously, the Sounders being able to fill 40,000 seats per game is why they're able to pull off a move like this. It's great for the health of the league and I've come around a bit on the move (though I hate him being in Seattle...) but I still feel like he could've ended up somewhere else in the Premier League. I mean, Villa were after him at the deadline in 2012 so you'd have to think he could've found work somewhere...

6fQjS3M.png

Yup you are right, misread that. That was 2 years ago and as you can see, a lot can happen in 2 years.

Like I said, that is a concern for sure, but 2013 has been a great year for soccer growth in America no doubt.

MLS at 24 teams would likely be 4 divisions (or groups) of 6 teams. Play each team in your division 4 times and everyone else once. That is a 38 game season.

That's certainly a possible structure, but I don't see them "regionalizing" to that extent. I believe we'll see two conferences/divisions comprised of 12 franchises each. Every franchise would play the other eleven teams in its conference/division twice (home and away), while playing the 12 teams from the other conference/division once apiece (6 teams at home and 6 on the road, alternating each year). That would result in a schedule of 34 matches.

Think about it. The league will want to do something to placate the traditionalists who already bemoan the fact that anything but a single-table playing a home-and-away schedule taints the process of equitably determining a league champion. Further sub-dividing the league into four divisions and having the league's teams play a regular-season schedule weighted even more heavily towards divisional play will strike said traditionalists as a further step back for the league. This being the case, I think the league leadership will err on the side of "less is more" insofar as the number of conferences/divisions is concerned.

The MLS and NASL are growing to strong cities. It's happening, folks.

NASL kicked off their fall season tonight.

Carolina beat Edmonton 1-0 after long rain delays.

San Antonio went up 3-0 18 minutes in, then proceeded to go down 4-3 by the 41st. Rowdies win 7-4.

Cosmos beat the Strikers 2-1 with a goal in stoppage time.

And Atlanta held on and beat Minnesota 1-0.

I cannot wait to go to Rowdies-Cosmos next Saturday.

Given the lack of MLS clubs in the Southeast, it would be smart of the NASL to claim the region.

They pretty much have so far with teams currently in Atlanta, Cary (NC), Tampa Bay, & Fort Lauderdale, with expansion coming soon in Virginia in 2014 and Jacksonville in 2015.

I cannot wait to go to Rowdies-Cosmos next Saturday.

Same here man, sounds like a great time.

The Cosmos/Strikers game was amazing. More fun than the last several Arsenal matches I've been to. Sold out at just under 12,000.

The football was, frankly, much better than I expected from a pair of second-division clubs. But in the second half, you could really see that Ft. Lauderdale had been playing together for half a season and the Cosmos were playing their first competitive game.

Watching DCU win, and score 3 actual real goals and look really good was awesome last night. Montreal is in trouble folks.

543799_580352898682631_1085517327_n.jpg

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

The Cosmos/Strikers game was amazing. More fun than the last several Arsenal matches I've been to. Sold out at just under 12,000.

The football was, frankly, much better than I expected from a pair of second-division clubs. But in the second half, you could really see that Ft. Lauderdale had been playing together for half a season and the Cosmos were playing their first competitive game.

Just coming to post this to add to the 2013 achievements in American soccer. That's more than some English championship division teams. Of course their top in the second division is 30k plus but still, impressive. Keep it up Cosmos fans!

That's a good start. It even surpassed the attendance of the Red Bulls - Impact match at RBA.

However the real test is going to be whether or not they can maintain that attendance a season or two from now.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Absolutely. As much as I want the Cosmos experience to be a success, and as pleased as I am about last night's game (result and attendance), it's the sustained results that will matter.

Two years from now is going to be very important for the Cosmos & Red Bulls when NYCFC comes in and turns the NYC area into the most competitive market for professional soccer in the country.

If I was the Cosmos I would not only try to have success (winning the US Open Cup should be a huge priority as well as the NASL) but they need to build an image that fans can cling on to. If I was them I would start to build up the image of the being the counter culture alternative to the big money clubs of the MLS. I know it will run counter-intuitive to the big money image they used to portray in the 70's & 80's but NYCFC is going to become the real big money team in NY and I am pretty sure the Red Bulls are still going to splashing cash (maybe more than they are now).

Does anyone really think of MLS clubs as "big money"?

I think the Cosmos's best bet is to establish themselves as a people's club, a club interested in fostering and supporting the city's soccer culture. A club that looks within the five boroughs for talent, a club that has a stake in the adult amateur local scene as well as youth soccer. A club that seeks out and builds relationships with soccer pubs.

In other words, pretty much what they've done since 2010. Hasn't been perfect in the execution, and there have been missteps, but on the whole the strategy has been very, very good.

Does anyone really think of MLS clubs as "big money"?

I think the Cosmos's best bet is to establish themselves as a people's club, a club interested in fostering and supporting the city's soccer culture. A club that looks within the five boroughs for talent, a club that has a stake in the adult amateur local scene as well as youth soccer. A club that seeks out and builds relationships with soccer pubs.

In other words, pretty much what they've done since 2010. Hasn't been perfect in the execution, and there have been missteps, but on the whole the strategy has been very, very good.

What I mean by big money I usually mean in comparison to the other clubs in the country. In that case I would consider teams like the Galaxy & Red Bulls to be big money and I am pretty sure others see those two clubs in the same light.

I don't know, I think every professional soccer club in the United States is to a certain extent "counter-cultural". Not sure there's a lot of room to either side.

Still, they seem halfway to what I think you're suggesting, with their tryouts in all five boroughs and the local academies. If Red Bull and NYCFC buy players and the Cosmos groom theirs, isn't that a good separation?

Archived