Songs that Make You Think of Sports

rmackman

Are there songs that you, for whatever reason, associate a sport with it? It can go either way: The sport makes you think of the song or vice versa. The songs might be on the radio, in a movie, on TV, in a video game, whatever.

When I think of specific sports, here's what I think of with basketball:

BASKETBALL:

OR

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Clarification - are you asking about sports theme songs from television and radio? Or are you meaning music that references sports?

For example, Bruce Springsteen's "Glory Days" talks extensively about baseball and always reminds me of playing ball when I was a kid.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Lots of songs for me, but I'll try my best to keep it short:

Pro theme songs:

-NFL on CBS (1986-1989 Pots and Pans, 1998 and 2001-2002 Vinci versions, and the present E.S. Posthumus theme)

-NFL on NBC (1989-1991, 1992, 1995-1998 songs)

-NBA on NBC (Roundball Rock)

-NBA on CBS (1989 guitar version)

-NBA on TNT (present Trevor Rabin remix since 2010)

-MLB on NBC (1986-1989)

-MLB on CBS (1990-1993)

-MLB on FOX (1996-2006, 2007-2010 versions [i hate that they have the NFL theme for baseball now])

-NHL on ABC (2000-2004)

-NHL on NBC (present)

College theme songs:

-NCAA Basketball on CBS (2005-present)

-NCAA March Madness (this song is exclusive to the tourney and has been since Turner entered the picture in 2011; CBS currently uses their theme for regular season games, then switches to this song for the tourney)

-BCS on ABC/Rose Bowl Game (1998-2010; I hated it when they remixed it since, especially when I heard it in the Bama-ND game)

Actual songs played for sporting events:

-The Outfield: Winning It All

-Randy Newman: I Love LA

-Ya Boy: We Run LA (my unofficial rememberance song for the 2009 Lakers season)

-The Briggs: This Is LA (heavily played by the Galaxy and Kings)

-Queen: We Are The Champions

-Tina Turner: Simply The Best

-Pat Benatar: All Fired Up

-Lenny Kravitz: Dig In

-Jaime Fox and Justin Timberlake: Winner

-Allan Parsons Project: Sirius (Chicago Bulls theme)

-Europe: Final Countdown (Detroit Pistons theme)

-This combination:

---Rob Dougan: Furious Angels [instrumental]

---Corner Stone Cues: Ten Years Kashmir MVT II

---The Who: Baba O'Reilly/Teenage Wasteland (Lakers theme)

I got frustrated that your version of Roundball Rock was the only one that could be found on the internet. Then this one came up recently, and it's pure bliss!!!

Reminds me of the NBC announcers breaking down critical 4th quarter plays leading to timeouts. This was especially prudent during the Bulls-Pacers and Bulls-Jazz wars of the late 1990s, and the Lakers-Kings battles of the early 2000s.

Since NBC has done so much to increase its sports footprint in the past few years with the NHL, I would love to see them take a shot at snagging the NBA back when ESPN's contract is up. The return of Roundball Rock would be glorious.

I'm not holding my breath, though.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I used to hate "Holiday" by Greenday as the Canucks goal song just because I hate Greenday. But during that 2011 SCF run I couldn't get enough of it. Everytime I hear it now, it brings me back to the time when the Canucks had a decent reputation, had people actually pulling for us in the playoffs, seeing my favorite team doing well and making it to the finals for the first time in my lifetime, attending my first ever finals game and the amazing vibe and atmosphere around the city. Such a shame that it all went to waste because of a bunch of drunken, riot thirsty scrubs downtown.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

It's hard to believe round ball rock has been gone for a decade now.

John Tesh composed that if I not mistaken. I think the NBA moved to using some schlock from Justin Timberlake or the Black Eyed Peas for a season or two.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

John Tesh composed that if I not mistaken. I think the NBA moved to using some schlock from Justin Timberlake or the Black Eyed Peas for a season or two.

He did. I remember when the license moved from NBC to ABC, and the inaugural game debuted some dumb new rap theme (and had no Bill Walton). I was so disappointed. TNT's presentation is really good, but no one did NBA like NBC.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Song that makes me think of basketball: the theme song to a memorable basketball telecast. Good job! Good effort!

I mean, like if you were to lead off with "hearing 'Roundball Rock' makes me think of this one time I did two girls at once," I mean, now that's a thread.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

He did. I remember when the license moved from NBC to ABC, and the inaugural game debuted some dumb new rap theme (and had no Bill Walton). I was so disappointed. TNT's presentation is really good, but no one did NBA like NBC.

When the change first happened, Conan ran with it. He "bought" the theme for his show so it wouldn't die. He is also good friends with Tesh. He ran with it for a good couple of months.

Archived