90s identities that (partially) prevailed

Wilt

As neon is to the '10s.

I think it's gonna be a showdown between neon and pointless sublimated patterns that can only be seen by the player wearing them, or the guy hitting him. . (See the Seahawks, who have given us both.)

Seriously, I know I'm thought of by some around here as a hopeless uniform stick-in-the-mud, but somebody please tell me what I'm missing about these semi-invisible patterns that (mostly from Nike) seem to be the new hotness in uniform design. All modern sports are basically TV shows... especially football. You cannot see these things on TV... even Hi Def TV. I don't see the point, but if someone can explain it to me, I'd appreciate it.

I agree with this so much it is just so pointless if you are doing for money that is great but I doubt anybody is buying the Seahawks helmet for the pattern that you can't see except up really close.

I don't think the 10's will be as defined as easily as the 90's. The decade so far I think will be remembered more for it's total eccentricity, not just one in particular.

I think the 10's will be defined as the decade of either to simple or the decade when most teams tried to go 'retro'.

I was only making a halfhearted joke. I don't think two years is enough of a sample to properly stereotype a decade.

However, I agree with my original assessment of neon so far. Matte and chrome only affect sports with helmets. Neon has permeated them all.

Sigs are for sissies.

Here's a few from the NHL

New Jersey Devils

32tfs723a3bes0p0hb4hgcy1u.gif

Virtually untouched since the Devils changed from a green to black circle in 1992.

Vancouver Canucks

208.gif(1997) 2xd2efir5fdew26px6kx.gif(Present)

The colours have changed to the 1970's look, but the 1990's logo remains.

Los Angeles Kings

105.gif(1998) 4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gif(Present)

The crown first appeared as an alternate logo in 1998, was promoted to the primary logo in 2002 before being relegated back to being an alternate logo. Furthermore, it has been an element in the shield logos that they had in the same time period.

106.gif71jepx81eqzz1l6q9g1g5j1lh.gif

As neon is to the '10s.

I think it's gonna be a showdown between neon and pointless sublimated patterns that can only be seen by the player wearing them, or the guy hitting him. . (See the Seahawks, who have given us both.)

Seriously, I know I'm thought of by some around here as a hopeless uniform stick-in-the-mud, but somebody please tell me what I'm missing about these semi-invisible patterns that (mostly from Nike) seem to be the new hotness in uniform design. All modern sports are basically TV shows... especially football. You cannot see these things on TV... even Hi Def TV. I don't see the point, but if someone can explain it to me, I'd appreciate it.

I love it. Not everything on a uniform has to be for the fans watching it on tv at home. Uniforms are about being a team. And college teams are about representing their universities. IMO it is a great way to remind players who/what they are playing for. That being said, it can be overdone or forced. I think TCU (Nike-frog skin), Oregon (Nike-iridescent), Wisky (adidas-rose petals), and BC (UA-stained glass) are all examples of it working. I think Minnesota (Nike-bricks) and Utah (UA-topography lines) are examples of it being forced.

I don't know but has anybody mentioned the Denver Nuggets?

They're not using maroon-copper-navy combination anymore, are they?

Well the logo has stayed the same sans the colors if that counts.

• 2 weeks later...

New Jersey Devils

32tfs723a3bes0p0hb4hgcy1u.gif

Virtually untouched since the Devils changed from a green to black circle in 1992.

All it is is a recolour of the logo they've had since 1982. Just swapping green out for black doesn't suddenly make this a 90's identity.

Well, thats simply just the logo you're talking about. The overall look of the franchise/uniforms however changed drastically and is still untouched. I would definitely count the Devils in this category.

Archived