90s identities that (partially) prevailed

Wilt

Another topic on my favourite subject, the 90s. NBA teams experimented with the team colours back then by introducing the cool ones, namely (thanks to Buc) black and teal/purple. Most of the franchises gave it up and either returned to the roots (e.g. Pistons, 76ers, Wizards), others keep looking for their colour palette (Hawks, Jazz). However, I counted 2 that stayed with those identities:

1. Probably less convincing example as Timberwolves introduced the black only 7 years after the expansion. However, it stayed as their uniform colour and green was marginalized. The logo update didn't involve drastic recolouring (if you extend the time criteria by 2 years, the Mavs did something similar).

2. Sacramento, the logo stayed untouched and the uniforms are still black and purple.

I would like leave uniforms esthetics aside as this part of 90s was the fastest to outdate. I do not consider logo recolouring as keeping it. It is stupid money-saving NBA trend and the secondary logos are becoming more important in those cases.

Can you name more examples from other leagues?

The Sharks are still wearing teal and the Mariners are essentially still wearing their 90s look.

Also the Ottawa Senators' Roman theme was a 90s creation that's survived, though the logos have been tweaked a few times.

If you are including the Sharks - and I'm Not sure if you are including teams that started out with mid-90's colors - but if so the #1 example has to be the Hornets.. who are finally changing color schemes (and names) after originating and having a 20 year-run of teal and purple. The only reason they are changing color schemes is to match their name/location overhaul. If that decision wasn't made I'm sure they would have been teal/purple for a long time. The Rockies started purple/black and stayed. Same with Jaguars and teal/black. Ravens and Purple/Black

As far as team switching and staying... I would think the Mariners are the biggest ones. They even brought teal more to the forefront the past season or two after making it a background color for several years,

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

If you are including the Sharks - and I'm Not sure if you are including teams that started out with mid-90's colors

Yes, I am talking about the hockey team.

Yeah - I'm saying, IF you're including the Sharks on this list then you have to also include the Hornets (until next year), Rockies, Ravens, Jaguars too...as teams that started out with 90's colors. The original question was teams that switched and then switched back vs. Teams that switched and then stayed with he 90's color scheme ala Kings, Mariners, Timberwolves.

If you are including the Sharks - and I'm Not sure if you are including teams that started out with mid-90's colors - but if so the #1 example has to be the Hornets.. who are finally changing color schemes (and names) after originating and having a 20 year-run of teal and purple.

Common misconception. Hornets dropped teal in 2008 for Creole Blue.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

If you are including the Sharks - and I'm Not sure if you are including teams that started out with mid-90's colors - but if so the #1 example has to be the Hornets.. who are finally changing color schemes (and names) after originating and having a 20 year-run of teal and purple.

Common misconception. Hornets dropped teal in 2008 for Creole Blue.

Well, for the purposes of this conversation I think you have to consider the team-designated title of Creole Blue as a variation of teal. When you are talking about team's that chose those colors because they were hot in the 90's (or the hornets that established them) then I think you have to say that the current hornets color as well as the timberwolves's shade of blue all fall into that "Teal" category, if you consider "Teal" as a range of bright blue and blueish-green colors including aqua and creole blue.

I'm sure Colrowerx will have me hunted down for thinking that way.

Besides, the Hornets still use Purple.

Hornets don't count, they began in 1988.

NFL has plenty that still is around, especially the 90s trend of darkening colors.

Baltimore Ravens as mentioned

Carolina Panthers - just modified their logo, but still same colors and uniforms.

Denver Broncos - Still have the side panels that started it all trend wise.

Jacksonville Jaguars - new logo is like the panthers is in thats a more evolved version, still using black, teal and gold.

New England Patriots - Flying Elvis logo is the only remnant as in 2000 they darkened the blue to navy and went with new uniforms.

New York Jets - Would start something that would sweep later on trendwise - uniforms based on an older version. Also darkened their green.

Philadelphia Eagles - Midnight Green still goin strong along with logo and all. They only added a drop shadow to their numbers since (in 2004 I wanna say)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Red and Pewter still their colors, I know they are on the list for uniform changes this year, but I'm sure it won't be anything substantial.

Let's do some sports uni analogies:

Powder blue is to the '80s, as teal is to the '90s, as black is to the '00s.

Black was a 90s trend as well. I'd say double blue (powder with either royal or navy) was the 00s equivalent of the 90s' teal and purple.

Let's do some sports uni analogies:

Powder blue is to the '80s, as teal is to the '90s, as black is to the '00s.

Black was a 90s trend as well. I'd say double blue (powder with either royal or navy) was the 00s equivalent of the 90s' teal and purple.

Double blue, fauxbacks and roundels to the 2010s

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Double blue was last decade's trend du jour and just continued on into this one—see the Denver Nuggets, Utah Jazz, Memphis Grizzlies, Pittsburgh Penguins (even if they had precedent), the GD Florida Panthers (who most certainly did NOT have precedent) hell even Sporting Kansas City and now the Winnipeg Jets.

This decade, it's been matte and chrome. :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Double blue was last decade's trend du jour and just continued on into this one—see the Denver Nuggets, Utah Jazz, Memphis Grizzlies, Pittsburgh Penguins (even if they had precedent), the GD Florida Panthers (who most certainly did NOT have precedent) hell even Sporting Kansas City and now the Winnipeg Jets.

This decade, it's been matte and chrome. :P

Let's not forget the Tampa Bay Rays, Charlotte bobcats, Columbus Bluejackets, San Diego Chargers, and Dallas Mavericks. Hell, there are probably a ton more I'm missing too.

maehl.png

The Raptors identity has "matured" over time and they lost the purple, but the dino logo is still technically their primary, their unis have many of the same features as the look introduced in the 1999-2000 season.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

As neon is to the '10s.

I think it's gonna be a showdown between neon and pointless sublimated patterns that can only be seen by the player wearing them, or the guy hitting him. . (See the Seahawks, who have given us both.)

Seriously, I know I'm thought of by some around here as a hopeless uniform stick-in-the-mud, but somebody please tell me what I'm missing about these semi-invisible patterns that (mostly from Nike) seem to be the new hotness in uniform design. All modern sports are basically TV shows... especially football. You cannot see these things on TV... even Hi Def TV. I don't see the point, but if someone can explain it to me, I'd appreciate it.

I don't think the 10's will be as defined as easily as the 90's. The decade so far I think will be remembered more for it's total eccentricity, not just one in particular.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived