Cleveland Browns Logo

hd550

Created this logo for www.Cleveland.com and UniWatch for ESPN posts a few weeks ago. You can see the articles here.

http://www.cleveland...w_uniforms.html

http://espn.go.com/b...sign-the-browns

Being a diehard Browns fan and graphic artist along with the fact the Browns are talking uniform (and hopefully branding) changes for 2014, I figured I should put in an effort.

Who or what is a Brown? What does a Brown look like? Who or what does a Brown represent? The Browns logo should answer those questions. The current and past logos don’t.

The "B" logo is okay, but boring and generic. The "Dawg head" has no emotion and plain, too. The "helmet" logo is overused, outdated, tacky, and hardly lends itself well to promotional items. It’s a helmet, not a Brown. However, I love the old "Brownie elf" but, that's just it. He's old.

So, trying to answer those questions, I created a new "Elf" logo that modernizes our Brownie and leans him towards mass marketing capabilities. I kept many of his original features like the brown and white striped sleeves and tuft of hair in front, which I used like our helmet stripes on his cap. He could also garner a name, like the Indians, Chief Wahoo.

8435862022_82038a0aef_b.jpg

Created this logo for www.Cleveland.com and UniWatch for ESPN posts a few weeks ago. You can see the articles here.

http://www.cleveland...w_uniforms.html

http://espn.go.com/b...sign-the-browns

Being a diehard Browns fan and graphic artist along with the fact the Browns are talking uniform (and hopefully branding) changes for 2014, I figured I should put in an effort.

Who or what is a Brown? What does a Brown look like? Who or what does a Brown represent? The Browns logo should answer those questions. The current and past logos don’t.

The "B" logo is okay, but boring and generic. The "Dawg head" has no emotion and plain, too. The "helmet" logo is overused, outdated, tacky, and hardly lends itself well to promotional items. It’s a helmet, not a Brown. However, I love the old "Brownie elf" but, that's just it. He's old.

So, trying to answer those questions, I created a new "Elf" logo that modernizes our Brownie and leans him towards mass marketing capabilities. I kept many of his original features like the brown and white striped sleeves and tuft of hair in front, which I used like our helmet stripes on his cap. He could also garner a name, like the Indians, Chief Wahoo.

8435862022_82038a0aef_b.jpg

It looks kind of like a rhino.

Guest darkpiranha

Nice work. Instead of the Brownie being encased in an oval, fit it into the shape of a helmet from mostly side-view. That way, you'll be able to satisfy the legion of people who feel that a bland orange helmet in some way counts as 'branding'.

Seriously, though, this is fantastic. I'd maybe be able to root for a team that had this logo.

Of all the Browns logo concepts I've seen over the years here this is easily my favorite logo. I think the white near the nose needs to be re-evaluated. I also see it as a rhino horn, especially before you zoom in on it.

mainescarf.png

It's a very nice rendering and it all fits nicely into the oval. It could use a nice thick brown outline around the whole oval, though, to act as a border.

As far as being a realistic NFL logo, this type of design just doesn't work as a primary logo in my opinion, especially for a team with such history as the Browns. Sure, the Browns have had a cartoony elf logo in the past, but in the link you provided, the dog face set or the B-oval set would fit the Browns identity better. I like the uniform with excessive striping because it looks so "old-school".

Your logo could work as as a logo for a Browns' fan club or something, like that.

• 1 month later...

I think the best option for the Browns is to keep their heritage, but make it more marketable. In that regard, I think you're right on with your approach, trying to update the brownie. The mark, however, is falling short. I tend to think of a brownie being youthful, sprightly and mischievous. I think the one you've got here is very old and rough looking. In addition, the quality and voice of line just isn't there. You're lacking boldness and clarity, and the style itself is a bit dated. My personal view is that an oval logo done in this way is more prep or collegiate than professional. It doesn't feel like an NFL logo to me. Keep refining it. Maybe you can push it to the next level.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• 3 weeks later...

Archived