How do I decide which EPL team to root for?

Barnitosupreme9

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't just pick a team. The team picks you. Watch enough games and one day something will happen, you'll find yourself inexplicably cheering for someone... and then you'll know.

liverpool-1.png

I've never really picked an EPL team to root for. In the Beckham era I rooted for United several years. The next years I rooted for Arsenal, after that for Liverpool and than for Chelsea and between that, Tottenham.

Nowadays I don't really have a team in the PL. Perhaps West Ham a bit. But I've at least chose an English team to root for, but have to wait till they come back. Leeds United!!!

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

You don't just pick a team. The team picks you. Watch enough games and one day something will happen, you'll find yourself inexplicably cheering for someone... and then you'll know.

That's the best advice yet. Especially since English football is fraught with history.

I didn't choose Arsenal. I had decided that I would support Chelsea since I lived in the neighborhood's namesake in Manhattan. But I went to a match between the two and by the end of the 90 minutes I had become a Gooner.

Funny how people are usually "picked" by teams such as Tottenham, Liverpool, Man U, City, etc.

No one is ever picked by West Brom, QPR, Southampton, Norwich City, etc.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Funny how people are usually "picked" by teams such as Tottenham, Liverpool, Man U, City, etc.

Mr. Mockba would like a word with you.

And it's obvious how it works that way, just because the best teams tend to be shown the most. It's kind of a perpetuating process. I've seen plenty of City, Chelsea, and Man U games alone this season, and I already have developed a pretty strong dislike towards the first two. I think the only times I've watched QPR are when they've played the Manchester clubs, and ditto with So'ton.

spacer.png

Mr. Mockba would like a word with you.

And it's obvious how it works that way, just because the best teams tend to be shown the most. It's kind of a perpetuating process. I've seen plenty of City, Chelsea, and Man U games alone this season, and I already have developed a pretty strong dislike towards the first two. I think the only times I've watched QPR are when they've played the Manchester clubs, and ditto with So'ton.

But in now you could see any match in the EPL at ease.

I watched a Norwich vs. Sunderland game on TV on one of the ESPN networks while surfing channels.

I just suspect it's hard for a not-top-tier team to gain any kind of following outside of their native country, because, as sports fans, we generally like to watch games that have relevance. And while I don't doubt that the Norwich/Sunderland game you watch was fun to see, it involved two teams that were

1) Not challenging in any way for the title

2) Not challenging in any way for Champions' League qualification

3) Not challenging relegation (though Sunderland is increasingly losing its spot in the safety zone)

I mean, to put this in familiar 'Murican terms - United, Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Liverpool are like the Patriots, Cowboys, Giants, 49ers, and Steelers (or any other marquee team). Sunderland, Norwich City, QPR are like the Bucs, Browns, and Lions. If given the choice on a Sunday, which game are you more inclined to watch - Giants/49ers, or Bucs/Lions? One game (most years) will have huge playoff implications, and the other one will be between two doddering teams at the bottom of the NFL ladder. Now, if this were an Englishman interested in learning more about the game, he certainly would take the Giants/49ers game, if for no other reason than that it's likely to be a better played football game than the second one.

I'm guilty of this. I've watched a ton of United games this season, and a fair share of Chelsea and City. The only times I've seen teams like West Brom, Sunderland, QPR, Norwich, etc. have been when they've played one of the giants of the EPL. That said, I've refrained from hitching my wagon to any team because the last thing I want to do is become one of those drones who allies himself before having given multiple teams a fair chance. And, given that I've watched the NBA for years and never had a favorite team, I'm sure I could manage the same with European soccer if need be.

spacer.png

I just suspect it's hard for a not-top-tier team to gain any kind of following outside of their native country, because, as sports fans, we generally like to watch games that have relevance. And while I don't doubt that the Norwich/Sunderland game you watch was fun to see, it involved two teams that were

3) Not challenging relegation (though Sunderland is increasingly losing its spot in the safety zone)

I mean, to put this in familiar 'Murican terms - United, Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Liverpool are like the Patriots, Cowboys, Giants, 49ers, and Steelers (or any other marquee team). Sunderland, Norwich City, QPR are like the Bucs, Browns, and Lions. If given the choice on a Sunday, which game are you more inclined to watch - Giants/49ers, or Bucs/Lions? One game (most years) will have huge playoff implications, and the other one will be between two doddering teams at the bottom of the NFL ladder. Now, if this were an Englishman interested in learning more about the game, he certainly would take the Giants/49ers game, if for no other reason than that it's likely to be a better played football game than the second one.

I'm guilty of this. I've watched a ton of United games this season, and a fair share of Chelsea and City. The only times I've seen teams like West Brom, Sunderland, QPR, Norwich, etc. have been when they've played one of the giants of the EPL. That said, I've refrained from hitching my wagon to any team because the last thing I want to do is become one of those drones who allies himself before having given multiple teams a fair chance. And, given that I've watched the NBA for years and never had a favorite team, I'm sure I could manage the same with European soccer if need be.

I am familiar enough with the EPL to know how strong each team is.

I just wish the majority of US EPL fans that claim that "United picked me" or whatever just admit to their bandwagoning (same should be said for most US Real Madrid and Barca fans) or give an argument of more substance. I just have a pet peeve about BS poeticism.

I am familiar enough with the EPL to know how strong each team is.

I just wish the majority of US EPL fans that claim that "United picked me" or whatever just admit to their bandwagoning (same should be said for most US Real Madrid and Barca fans) or give an argument of more substance. I just have a pet peeve about BS poeticism.

Wasn't trying to antagonize you there. It just felt like a convenient way to make my point.

I'll subscribe to your theory about disregarding fake poeticism, but rooting for teams foreign from North America will always have some different circumstances. Generally, it's expected to root for teams that are native to us, if possible. That's where the Bucs and Lightning and UF come from with me (the Rays didn't exist when I became a baseball fan). But since there's obviously no EPL team native to the Tampa Bay area (or, well, any North American city), it's quite different in terms of choosing sides. If I wanted to be a douche, I could easily pride myself on United just because they are under the same ownership as the Bucs.

spacer.png

Generally, it's expected to root for teams that are native to us, if possible.

As a Spurs fan from Liverpool I beg to differ :P.

I was born near Liverpool but lived in various places when I was growing up - eventually ending back up here. My dad was a big Everton fan in the 70s and 80s, following them around Europe, as well as my whole extended family supporting them.

I chose Spurs because my best friend at the time (age 6) was a spurs fan and his dad was my team's coach. So whenever I went to his house or to football practise all I heard was Football = Tottenham. One day I got cocky and came home to my dad and said I was a Spurs fan. He laughed it off thinking I was joking. I got stubborn and stuck with it. Now, 16 years later I have definitely gone too far to turn back.

The point I am trying to get to is... I think that as long as you stick with a team through good and bad times then it does not matter if you chose the team for the colour shirt they wear, a player you like, how good they are, your family supports them or you live 20 metres from the stadium.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

You want to go for a traditional club, with strong history and fan base. The ones that fall best into that category are Newcastle United, Aston Villa, Everton, Tottenham and West Ham.

It really depends how long you have been following football, but some of the clubs with the richest history, tradition and fan base are no longer in the Premier League, to name but a few that have fallen from grace:

Leeds United, Nottingham Forest, Blackburn, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby County, Coventry City, Birmingham City, Wolves, Sheffield United, Leicester City and Ipswich Town.

And just picking one of those, Leeds were a constant top 6 finisher in the late 90's and early 00's, they fell out of the league in 2004 and have not been back since.

I hope for the days where each one of the clubs mentioned are back in the 'big time', but that time could be a long way away.

Yours sincerely a passionate Owl.

As a Spurs fan from Liverpool I beg to differ :P.

I was born near Liverpool but lived in various places when I was growing up - eventually ending back up here. My dad was a big Everton fan in the 70s and 80s, following them around Europe, as well as my whole extended family supporting them.

I chose Spurs because my best friend at the time (age 6) was a spurs fan and his dad was my team's coach. So whenever I went to his house or to football practise all I heard was Football = Tottenham. One day I got cocky and came home to my dad and said I was a Spurs fan. He laughed it off thinking I was joking. I got stubborn and stuck with it. Now, 16 years later I have definitely gone too far to turn back.

The point I am trying to get to is... I think that as long as you stick with a team through good and bad times then it does not matter if you chose the team for the colour shirt they wear, a player you like, how good they are, your family supports them or you live 20 metres from the stadium.

I am sorry but I am rather picky with my sports teams. I even refuse to support the Giants, Jets, or Red Bulls because they play in New Jersey and not NY. (I also do not support RBNY because I do not like teams named after corporations. Sponsors on kits I can live with but that is crossing the line).

my point.

I am sorry but I am rather picky with my sports teams. I even refuse to support the Giants, Jets, or Red Bulls because they play in New Jersey and not NY. (I also do not support RBNY because I do not like teams named after corporations. Sponsors on kits I can live with but that is crossing the line).

That is kind of the complete opposite of the subject of the point I was making.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

my point.

That is kind of the complete opposite of the subject of the point I was making.

Exactly...

I was giving a counter-point in a way

richest history...

...Birmingham City

hahahahahahahaha :P

This has kind of already been alluded to here in this thread but on this board we've got QPR (fumbler), Saints (saintsfan), and Norwich (Mockba) supporters, not to mention guys that support clubs like Leeds and Wednesday that have posted here in this thread.

I do believe that there are some people that the top clubs "choose." Some people are attracted to winning sides, large fan bases, and other qualities that only a big club can offer.

/Also, Spurs haven't really won jack :censored: recently so I wouldn't necessarily call any of their fans frontrunners—a few years back when I started following the sport both Spurs and Villa were relatively in the same spot.

And our resident Citizen, TFoA, became a City fan because of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJF71ufqZqc

...that's a good enough reason to me! :P

/Also, if you'll check my signature, you'll see that I'm a PSG supporter. While I'm definitely not the front-runner type, I support the club because I love the city of Paris and started supporting the club before the Qatari ownership came in—and sometimes once you fall in love, you can't get out of it.

6fQjS3M.png

What he said. My story:

December 2004, I was laid off from my job. I had a few months of joblessness with a lot of time on my hands. I had Fox Sports World (the predecessor to Fox Soccer Channel) on my cable, mostly so I could watch Aussie Rules. But, as they do now, they showed a lot of the Premier League.

Now, I wasn't a complete stranger to the game at this point. Watching the 1994 World Cup was an introduction, so I woke up at strange times to watch the US play in 1998 and 2002. I had been to one MLS game in Chicago, and it was fun, but I hadn't yet been to a Minnesota Thunder (RIP) game.

I was blown away by the level of play of the Prem, and doubly-so the level of the crowd. I got hooked, and started to teach myself about the game and its history. I also watched a lot of games.

Now, I knew what ABMU meant, but aside from that, I didn't know a lot about the teams. So I kept watching, waiting to latch on to a team.

Then this happened (my apologies for the crappy video and dumb audio):

When Ashton's goal hit the back of the net, I realized I was cheering in my living room; my team had chosen me. I liked their open style of play, even if it didn't get the necessary results. (I also liked their uniforms.) Despite their relegation that season, I've stuck with them; I've even been to Norwich twice for games.

This also led me to seek out a Thunder fan message board, which has led to eight years of amazingness as a Minnesota and USMNT supporter. Supporting a Premier League team is fun, but it always pales in comparison to being there live.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

From the point of view of a Brit imagining from watching US sports, I would imagine it would be best if you support a relatively big club, at least from the point of view of seeing them play most often. Picking a team whose kit you like is a decent way, from afar, as it gives you an 'emotional root'. The difficulty wi pulling for a team with a player you like, is that they will leave in a couple of years, more than likely.

Or just pick the best and go for Southampton.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived