2013 NBA Playoffs

JMurr

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terrific defense there. Why the hell was Hibbert not on the floor?

Time for a sweep.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

My theory on the NBA playoffs has been there are must win games in a series that you don't know are must wins until the game starts.

I think that could have very well been the case tonight with Indiana. You get in a close game with Miami on the road, you have to find a way of closing that out, because you may only get one more game like that in the entire series and you need to win four to move on.

What Indiana should be embarrassed about with this game is the effort Chris Anderson put up. How do you hold Bosh and Wade both to under 20 points and still lose? And its because the guy averaging five points put up 16 on you and had three blocks as well. And this is a team that prides themselves on being a strong half court team.

But that's also what makes the Heat so dominant. One of the differences between good teams and great teams in the playoffs is great teams can steal a game or two in a series simply by having a role player step up. I don't care how good your star players are, they are not going to be there for you every night in the way you expect them to be, so there's going to be at least a game or two where you need to find another way of winning it and the Heat did just that tonight.

Dan Gilbert's 30-year old son is creepy as hell!

I personally guarantee that my creepy 30-year old son will win an NBA championship before the self-titled former 'king' wins one.

That kid is 30? Holy jeeze

No he isn't. He does remind me a little of The Man From Another Place, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Being a Heat fan must be a really numb experience. The greatest basketball player of this century took a pay cut to join your franchise because he coordinated it with his Team USA pals, then made a spectacle of the rig by rubbing it in everyone's faces.

Now they're poised to win another title (or at least go to their 3rd title game) and in all respects probably should be crowned again. I hope Heat fans are happy but also have perspective that they really don't deserve any of this. Circumstances proved fortuitous and plop - here's your basketball god. It didn't take some cunning legwork from Mickey Arison or tactful wizardy from Pat Riley to build a franchise powerhouse: it took a few phone calls after the olympics.

Does that make it fair to hate LeBron? Not really. He's a great player, arguably the greatest ever, and he wanted to play in a bigger market run by better people surrounded by better players. But it goes against everything that makes up a great sports story.

That's why I don't like LeBron. His victories and titles were orchestrated via the Game Genie methodology in a sport where effort never overcomes ability.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I agree with much of that, but much of my contempt really doesn't stem from Lebron, it just stems from the fact that Miami is probably the worst sports market in North America.

And that's not to be disrespectful to the legit Heat fans who pre-date the Alonzo Mourning or, at least, the Shaq days. The problem is is that there aren't enough of those. And the fact that the Heat had problems with selling out games even after the Triple Alliance joined forces is a serious indictment on the fanbase.

As much as it irritated me when the Boston Three Party joined forces, and the subsequent championship, at least it's common knowledge that Boston sports fans are among the most committed and passionate in North America. I would say the same if this kind of thing happened for the 76ers. There are about 25 markets in the NBA today, plus Seattle, who are so much more deserving of such a gift from the heavens.

--

Isn't it strangely hilarious how South Florida is such a desirable market for basketball players, but such a dreadful market for hockey players? The differences between hockey and basketball players are so vast.

spacer.png

I agree with much of that, but much of my contempt really doesn't stem from Lebron, it just stems from the fact that Miami is probably the worst sports market in North America.

And that's not to be disrespectful to the legit Heat fans who pre-date the Alonzo Mourning or, at least, the Shaq days. The problem is is that there aren't enough of those. And the fact that the Heat had problems with selling out games even after the Triple Alliance joined forces is a serious indictment on the fanbase.

As much as it irritated me when the Boston Three Party joined forces, and the subsequent championship, at least it's common knowledge that Boston sports fans are among the most committed and passionate in North America. I would say the same if this kind of thing happened for the 76ers. There are about 25 markets in the NBA today, plus Seattle, who are so much more deserving of such a gift from the heavens.

The Heat formation is drastically different from anything that's preceded it.

Allen and Garnett went to the Celtics at the ripe ages of 31 and 33 to join a 31-year old Paul Pierce in Boston, but Boston had to basically dump innumerable draft picks and players to acquire them. It resulted in two title appearances and one championship.

Payton and Malone went to the Lakers for one final hurrah with Kobe and Shaq but got denied by Detroit. The following year Shaq and Payton boogied down to Miami to join Alonzo and Wade to win a title.

This Heat team was put together via a free agency freak show circus and other free agents are drawn to that franchise like moths to a flame, willing to take less money to play with better talent. What does that get you (besides titles)?

It's empty. All of it. It's like they're the Yankees only they have LeBron instead of infinite money.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

LeBron is incredible. Can we collectively put the "LeChoke" myth to rest now?

My only concern is who we get to replace him. Van Gundy said no and ol' 11 rings is engaged to the rivals daughter. I like Byron Scott if only because of the history he has with Paul.

Mike Budenholzer is my first choice and is reportedly high on the Clippers' list if they can't coax SVG out of his hiatus. Respected veteran coach with experience, Pop's right hand man since 1997, and he comes from a winning organization.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Being a Heat fan must be a really numb experience. The greatest basketball player of this century took a pay cut to join your franchise because he coordinated it with his Team USA pals, then made a spectacle of the rig by rubbing it in everyone's faces.

It's almost a frustrating experience. The Heat are despised and held to ridiculous standards, and it's as if the fans aren't allowed to enjoy their own team.

As far as the alliance the big three made, it's obvious that they decided before free agency that they would play together somewhere. You're right in saying that it wasn't entirely due to Riley's foresight, but he did take an incredible risk. If Wade left, the only player that the Heat would have had was Mario Chalmers and we would have been subjected to a Nate Robinson-like experience until the front office could pick up the pieces.

I'm fairly certain that they've sold out every game since the Big 3 have been there. They ranked well in attendance even prior to that, including being 8th during the year they won 15 games. I hate that the real fans that truly care about the games are basically priced out of the arena (at least the visible-on-TV 100 level). 2-, 3-, and 400 are packed and loud early. The socialites near the court are truly an embarrassment, but I will say they started to resemble an actual fan base last year during the ECF and Finals. They even looked pretty good tonight. Maybe all they need is that 8:30 tipoff.

PJU85JF.png

It's almost a frustrating experience. The Heat are despised and held to ridiculous standards, and it's as if the fans aren't allowed to enjoy their own team.

I wouldn't go that far. I don't personally feel like Heat fans should be barred from enjoying this success, all I ask is that they have perspective as to how it occurred. The fan base wasn't rooting for some long-suffering title-barren franchise that their headstrong GM/team brass worked themselves out of.

They just got lucky.

Obviously they're not just gonna be handed titles, but in the NBA it doesn't matter. You know LeBron will bring at least 4 rings to Miami.

--------

The NBA is so goddamned frustrating. There needs to be so many changes to it and the NCAA rules to make it a much more enjoyable sport instead of the ham-fisted turd factory that it is.

twitter

Yesterday's Heat Pacers game was just an example of how this is the year of LeBron, any ordinary year and that Heat would lose that game, but not this team not this year. When its all said and done this team will be one of the best of all time.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I wouldn't go that far. I don't personally feel like Heat fans should be barred from enjoying this success, all I ask is that they have perspective as to how it occurred. The fan base wasn't rooting for some long-suffering title-barren franchise that their headstrong GM/team brass worked themselves out of.

They just got lucky.

Obviously they're not just gonna be handed titles, but in the NBA it doesn't matter. You know LeBron will bring at least 4 rings to Miami.

--------

The NBA is so goddamned frustrating. There needs to be so many changes to it and the NCAA rules to make it a much more enjoyable sport instead of the ham-fisted turd factory that it is.

As a Miami Heat fan who grew up watching Rony Seikaly, Glen Rice, Grant Long, Steve Smith...heck...even Rory Sparrow, I can honestly say I'm stoked to watch the Heat.

Most Heat fans have their flaws... Miami fans frequently show up late to games (much of that is because there is no public transportation, and traffic is horrible), they dress for the game like they're going to a night club, and are fair weather. Sports in South Florida isn't about loving the game for most (which gets frustrating); it's about being part of a big event and having the biggest stars so we can say LOOK AT ME! That much is true.

But it's not like the Heat are the first team to bring in All-Stars. The Celtics won a championship after bringing in Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett. Nobody gave them crap. The Lakers won championships after bringing in Shaquille O'Neal. Nobody gave them crap. They later added Karl Malone and Gary Payton. Again...nothing (granted they were no longer in their prime, but weren't useless yet). Hell, even the 96 Chicago Bulls brought in Hall of Famer Dennis Rodman, and then acquired a very serviceable Ron Harper to add to their star-studded rotation.

People act like Miami's first title came with LeBron. It didn't. It came with D-Wade and Shaq. I don't know why everyone seems to forget that. Also, the Heat were around for 18 years before they won a championship. The team has existed for 25 years now! It's not like they came into the league with the Toronto Raptors. I feel like if the Orlando Magic won a title, nobody would complain...except they've been around one year less.

Most Heat fans agree that "The Decision" on TV was a stupid idea. It's been a few years, though. He's far less arrogant now than he was then. I mean, hell, the Heat had Alonzo Mourning. With all his screaming and muscle flexing, nobody gave him crap about it. LBJ is less demonstrative on the court than that. You want arrogance? How about Kobe Bryant!?

People complain that the Heat threw a huge party. Well...they did that when they acquired Shaq as well back in 2004. That's just Miami's style, but nobody complained back then. Everything is a party, everything is a show. I don't always agree with it, but that's the personality of the city.

I find it ironic when Bulls and Knicks fans try to slight the Heat with how they came together, when its a fact the Bulls organization had the EXACT same plan in 2010. They tried to sign LeBron AND Wade or Bosh to join Rose and Noah. How many Bulls fans would be mad about "The Decision" had LeBron and Bosh joined Rose and Noah? Can we agree, not many? 6-7 other franchises had the same plan as Miami did, and failed. Everyone was trying to clear cap room to get LeBron. In fact, as recently as last year the Lakers have admitted to trying to figure out how to sign LeBron in 2014 to pair him with Kobe. So it's likely to happen again (although I don't see how he'd leave if he's winning in Miami).

So LBJ left, and people say, "Well Jordan and Magic never left their teams." Jordan, just like Magic and Bird, didn't have to leave their respective teams because their teams were loaded with talent. Not to mention, unrestricted free agency didn't even exist in the NBA until 1989, and it was in its infancy. People seem to forget, Jordan was looked at as a selfish player who would never beat a real "team" such as the Pistons. The Bulls almost traded Jordan in the summer of 1990. Seriously, look it up. If Jordan played today, all his early failures would have been magnified just as bad as LeBron's. In the seven years LeBron spent in Cleveland, they never got him a Scottie Pippen or even a Horace Grant. He had to go find one.

No one ever pretends Miami is a sports town like Chicago, Boston, or New York City. However, I find it comical how the same people that live there now are a big reason the fan base is watered down. Walk into any room, and if there are 10 people there, it's possible that eight are from somewhere else...and are still fans of the teams of where they came from. On top of that other then a few select cities, most cities do NOT support a loser. Miami gets way more crap, lately. In reality, it's because of jealousy and it's the easy thing for people to hate the Heat. If the Heat fans suck so bad, why is it that the year prior to the Cavs getting LeBron, they were DEAD last in attendance? Year two with LeBron they were top five. After LeBron left these "great fans," within two years, were already dead last in attendance again. Same thing with the Pistons. During their title runs in 2004, top 2-5 in attendance for about 5-6 years. The last few years, bottom five. Here's a surprise...when Miami won 15 games in 2007-08 they were still top 15 in attendance. That being said, Miami will never be like some sports towns (Might I point out that I now live in Chicago, a great sports town, and they NEVER went to Blackhawks games until this recent run of success).

So the point is, Miami isn't the first team to have a "Big Three," they're not the first team to use free agency to win, they're not the best sports town in America, and the Heat have been around long enough to have a fan base that was starving for a championship prior to 2006. By the way, just for parallel sake, let's take a look at the key members of the 1996 Chicago Bulls vs. the 2013 Miami Heat.

BULLS

Michael Jordan (drafted)

Scottie Pippen (drafted)

Dennis Rodman (acquired in trade)

Tony Kukoc (drafted)

Ron Harper (FA acquired in 1994)

Luc Longley (acquired in trade)

Steve Kerr (FA acquired in 1993)

Jud Buechler (acquired in trade)

Bill Wennington (FA acquired in 1993)

HEAT

LeBron James (FA acquired in 2010)

Dwyane Wade (drafted)

Chris Bosh (FA acquired in 2010)

Mario Chalmers (Drafted)

Udonis Haslem (went undrafted, but signed with Miami)

Ray Allen (FA acquired in 2012)

Shane Battier (FA acquired in 2011)

Mike Miller (FA acquired in 2010)

Chris Andersen (FA acquired in 2012)

So, what we learn here, is both teams only had 3 drafted/homegrown legit players. Everyone else was brought in from the outside. I think if you go back, and look through the points I made above, combine that with the roster breakdown, and take a step back from your emotions, you'll see, from a logical perspective, that a lot the hate thrown onto Miami is unjust.

Unfortunately, this day and age, true or not, for better or for worse, the Heat are perceived as villains. As we all know, perception is reality.

I hope this provided some insight from the perspective of a Heat fan. I'll get off of my soap box now.

ProudHeatFan_zps63898dc2.png

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Being a Heat fan must be a really numb experience.

Can't be any more numb than rooting for the stacked Jordan-era Bulls.

He's not a Bulls fan ;)

Anyway I think you're missing CS' point. The Jordan-era Bulls were built via the draft, smart trades, and good coaching. The Big Three-era Heat came together because Wade, Bash, and James thought it would be cool to play together somewhere and win a bunch of titles. The Bulls built that team, the Heat just sort of had three great players decide that they wanted to play together, and hey isn't Miami nice this time of year?

Of course Heat fans should be super stoked about their team. Good on them. It's not like the Heat organization really put their nose to grindstone and did what had to be done to build a great team though.

Full disclosure...I like LeBron James. He's an amazing talent, and I wouldn't mind it if he won a bunch of titles with the Heat. It's just, you know, it's not exactly the feel good underdog story of the century.

He's not a Bulls fan ;)

Anyway I think you're missing CS' point. The Jordan-era Bulls were built via the draft, smart trades, and good coaching. The Big Three-era Heat came together because Wade, Bash, and James thought it would be cool to play together somewhere and win a bunch of titles. The Bulls built that team, the Heat just sort of had three great players decide that they wanted to play together, and hey isn't Miami nice this time of year?

Of course Heat fans should be super stoked about their team. Good on them. It's not like the Heat organization really put their nose to grindstone and did what had to be done to build a great team though.

Yeah, but who really cares? If a team I like is contending for championships, I don't care if their guys were acquired through free agency, the draft, or trade.

He's not a Bulls fan ;)

Yeah, but who really cares? If a team I like is contending for championships, I don't care if their guys were acquired through free agency, the draft, or trade.

I agree.

He's not a Bulls fan ;)

Full disclosure...I like LeBron James. He's an amazing talent, and I wouldn't mind it if he won a bunch of titles with the Heat. It's just, you know, it's not exactly the feel good underdog story of the century.

They drafted Wade, drafted Chalmers, found diamonds in the rough with Haslem and Andersen (considering nobody wanted him) that fit perfectly, unloaded bad contracts, got rid of draft busts (Beasley), and then signed the free agents needed to make the team a contender. No different than what anyone else does.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

See, I don't get how free agency is any less valid than drafting or trades. All three are tools at a GM's disposal, and all three require a smart front office to use them properly.

The Lakers owe a lot of their success to some of the most lopsided trades in the history of the sport, whether it's Gail Goodrich for the pick that became Magic Johnson or Kwame Brown and Javaris Crittenton for Pau Gasol. Yet according to Miami's critics' logic, this is apparently a more valid way of building a team than through the free agent market.

Also, the idea that the Heat "weren't built through good coaching" is unfair. Spoelstra has become a very solid head coach in his own right, coming up with an offensive system that maximizes his players' talent with smart ball movement and efficient shots and getting them to buy in. The Del Negros and Woodsons of the league would have never progressed past spamming LeBron and Wade isos like Spo did in the first year of the Big Three.

xLmjWVv.png

See, I don't get how free agency is any less valid than drafting or trades. All three are tools at a GM's disposal, and all three require a smart front office to use them properly.

The Lakers owe a lot of their success to some of the most lopsided trades in the history of the sport, whether it's Gail Goodrich for the pick that became Magic Johnson or Kwame Brown and Javaris Crittenton for Pau Gasol. Yet according to Miami's critics' logic, this is apparently a more valid way of building a team than through the free agent market.

Don't forget Memphis also got Marc Gasol and two first-round picks, although mentioning these points takes away from your ability to say "Memphis got fleeced!!!!!".

The blame doesn't go towards the fans or the teams. The blame goes to the players (and to a degree, the league itself) getting together years in advance to form these superteams. Fans of the game got turned off to the idea that these superstars are so buddy-buddy with each other off the court and would rather take the easier way out to winning a championship, instead of being the fierce competitors they grew up with in the NBA and wanting to beat the other superstars along the way to a title. I completely get where Kramerica and others are coming from. The drama just isn't there. No one's asking "Can the Heat get back to the Finals?". It's "Can Indiana even win more than two games in the series?". For folks like me that would like to be a bigger fan of the game, these formation of super teams just aren't that appealing.

For traditional sports fans, the best part of winning a championship is seeing your team have a steady rise over the years, while adding a piece or two along the way. For those sports fans with short-attention spans, they like the formation of these superteams and the quick-fix and want instant success. No one can legitimately say the Heat were built in the traditional sense.

Don't forget Memphis also got Marc Gasol and two first-round picks, although mentioning these points takes away from your ability to say "Memphis got fleeced!!!!!".

Let's also not forget that nobody had any clue at the time that Marc Gasol would turn into one of the best centers in the league. Not to mention, the picks they got in return from the Lakers were two 28th overall picks. Neither of the players they picked are still on the Grizzlies.

The only thing making that trade look semi-decent for Memphis now is that they lucked out with their second-round center turning into a budding star. At the time, it was outrageous.

I completely get where Kramerica and others are coming from. The drama just isn't there. No one's asking "Can the Heat get back to the Finals?". It's "Can Indiana even win more than two games in the series?".

The NBA's always been like that, though, whether it was the '80s Lakers and Celtics, the Jordan Bulls, or the early 2000's Lakers dominating. There's a reason why only a small group of franchises has ever won a title.

xLmjWVv.png

Archived