Chicago uniforms: Excellent, and consistent

BJ Sands

Nice. I read Chicago Side from time to time. Good stuff!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I've thought about it for some time and New York City is the only other American city that comes to mind in also keeping consistent uniforms. I could be wrong and there could be many more cases that I haven't thought of

Midway.png

Can't argue with that. And that's coming from a Detroit sports fan. Sox, Cubs and Bears and definitely among my personal tops in their respective sports, with Bulls and Hawks my favorites among NBA and NHL.

To above poster, I think New York is right up there, but the Isles have had their share of changes.

I think Detroit has to be right up there too. Except for the Pistons 90s teal nightmare, all 4 teams have maintained the same look for decades and decades.

Boston- Celtics, Red Sox and Bruins have looked the same forever. Pats have had the same uni for decades and probably wont be changing much again.

sig.png

I've thought about it for some time and New York City is the only other American city that comes to mind in also keeping consistent uniforms. I could be wrong and there could be many more cases that I haven't thought of

And even New York hasn't been as consistent as Chicago. In the past 15 or so years, the Jets and Giants have done complete overhauls and reverted to throwback looks, the Mets and Knicks shoehorned black into their schemes and then removed it, and the Islanders made multiple changes. The only Chicago tweaks during that time were the Bulls adding the logo on the back (bad) and adding then tweaking a black alternate several times (the current one is best), the Cubs changing road sets (an improvement, but still a bad jersey) and adding a blue alt (terrible), the Bears moving the TV numbers to the shoulders and adding a few alts (bad), and the White Sox dropping the diamond sock from the roads (terrible) and switching to piping on the road pants (unfathomably dumb).

Good article. Of the Chicago teams, the only changes needed are for the Cubs to get a better road jersey and alt, and for the White Sox to go back to their 1992-2010 road look. The Bears can go without alternate jerseys and the Bulls should drop the logo from the back, but those are smaller things. Other than that, everything is the way it should always be.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Really good read. As a Royals fan it pains me to say how much I like how the White Sox look.

I'm proud to live in a city where our uniforms have stayed consistent over the years, except for the Royals' black/vest phase.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

To everybody who read this, many thanks. I really had a blast writing this and I hope that, and my familiarity with this place, showed through.

Detroit (the Pistons), Boston (the Patriots) and New York (Islanders, Nets) were the only places that I really considered as possibly being as stable. In the end, all of those big changes have come since Chicago's last.

Nicely done. I enjoyed it. Good get on Lukas, but would have liked to see someone else quoted (Creamer?) :) . That's just a nitpick, though. I enjoyed your analysis. Your uni knowledge certainly came through.

I've stopped by chicagoside once or twice before. I'll have to make it a point to stop by more often. Didn't realize I "knew" a senior editor there, although there are certainly some other familiar names in that author list.

4/5 isn't bad, but I guess expecting an MLS team to maintain a consistent identity is asking too much.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Being a born and bred Detroit sports fan, I'm genetically obligated to loathe anything coming from Chicago, but I will agree with the article that the Chicago teams all have great traditional and consistent looks.

The Sox got a bit squirrely there in the 70's/80's with different looks, but for the last twenty some odd years have had a nice consistent, classic look. Also, the Bears never, ever need to wear orange jerseys.

Archived