I personally have never made my complaints about the Lightning based on the fact that they use simple striping patterns akin to that of the Red Wings.

Rather, my biggest point (and I think Capper's, too) has always been the fact that they use the exact same shade of blue, as the base colour, as the Maple Leafs do. The way I see it, if the Lightning had kept black duds instead of blue, would they still, in principle, be considered to be playing O6DU, in theory? Yes, but at they would look like the Lightning in doing so, and not like an actual O6 team. There's something to be said about infringing on a look of a team that has been around for 80 more years, has won 13 Stanley Cups, is an original co-founder of the NHL, and to this day remains the most powerful hockey franchise in the world.

spacer.png

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still think the current crest is better than anything the Lightning have ever worn.

Key word: better. I haven't not hated a single lightning logo in my life. And now they had to get rid of the silver and black which where the only to parts I liked to simplify.

Because simplifying is in and apparently Tampa is the hip city of the future...

Using a color as common as blue is in the NHL is really stretching the case for infringment. The colors set was diminished much earlier, when the Hawaiian blue was replaced by the darker shade. Looking at Colorwerx's NHL team color page, the blue is unchanged from the past look. (Although my eyes are surely not the best) It appears the blue did not change with the most recent uniform change. Why would anyone expect it to necessarily change when the uniforms did?

Using a color as common as blue is in the NHL is really stretching the case for infringment. The colors set was diminished much earlier, when the Hawaiian blue was replaced by the darker shade. Looking at Colorwerx's NHL team color page, the blue is unchanged from the past look. (Although my eyes are surely not the best) It appears the blue did not change with the most recent uniform change. Why would anyone expect it to necessarily change when the uniforms did?

The team said that everything was open to being redesigned, and that they narrowed down the blue they wanted to use to the shade used by the Leafs and the shade used by the Yankees. They said they specifically chose the Leafs' shade of blue. That's where the issue comes in. Sure, it's probably a better look then the team's ever had....in a vacuum. Uniforms don't exist in a vacuum though, they have to be able to work alongside the other twenty-nine teams in the league. And that's where the Lightning's new look fails. Of course it's nice. Toronto's been using it for decades!

That's great, but in no way excludes a color from being a primary for multiple teams.

To be honest I think it's a way over blown problem. Following anecdote reaffirms this thought: I work at a large hockey store here in Tampa, obviously stocking primarily Lightning themed things on the souvenir/gift side. Also stocked is a huge amount of Toronto stuff, as the travel teams out of our rink wear the Maple Leafs gear. Never, never, never, have the two been confused by anyone. Mind you these are blank jerseys, socks with no indication of what NHL style they are, nothing. I'm not stretching the truth even an iota when I say even the most airheaded hockey mom doesn't even confuse the two.

That's great, but in no way excludes a color from being a primary for multiple teams.

I never said it does. If they lightning used more black, maybe some silver, they'd look great. Leafs' shade of blue and all.

To be honest I think it's a way over blown problem. Following anecdote reaffirms this thought: I work at a large hockey store here in Tampa, obviously stocking primarily Lightning themed things on the souvenir/gift side. Also stocked is a huge amount of Toronto stuff, as the travel teams out of our rink wear the Maple Leafs gear. Never, never, never, have the two been confused by anyone. Mind you these are blank jerseys, socks with no indication of what NHL style they are, nothing. I'm not stretching the truth even an iota when I say even the most airheaded hockey mom doesn't even confuse the two.

And yet everyone here, a site full of uniform nerds who obsess over small details, still claim that games between the two look like inter-squad scrimmages.

That's because even the most "airheaded hockey moms" can read the big "Toronto Maple Leafs" wordmark on the logo. The difference between your argument and the other arguments is that we don't watch hockey from 2 feet away from the players. Most people watch on tv, which is at a distance. I'd be willing to bet that a vast majority of regular fans, if put in front of a tv, and were told to watch a game Leafs-Lightning game without knowing who was home or away, and no player closeups, would have some trouble figuring out which team was which.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I never said it does. If they lightning used more black, maybe some silver, they'd look great. Leafs' shade of blue and all.

That's what your point is based on, that they are too similar. I would love more black and silver. I also think it's a big enough league for teams to have a common color.

And yet everyone here, a site full of uniform nerds who obsess over small details, still claim that games between the two look like inter-squad scrimmages.

Those are the same people who say every new college football helmet "ruins their day". Almost as if almost everything gets exaggerated around here...

I gotta be honest, if there's problems telling teams apart during a game that's squarely on the viewer.

Still think the current crest is better than anything the Lightning have ever worn.

Agreed.

Like I said in another thread, the simple striping isn't what connects the Lightning to the Leafs, but rather the blue/white color scheme. If they went blue/silver or blue/black or even black/white instead, the outcry would be significantly lessened.

That's because even the most "airheaded hockey moms" can read the big "Toronto Maple Leafs" wordmark on the logo. The difference between your argument and the other arguments is that we don't watch hockey from 2 feet away from the players. Most people watch on tv, which is at a distance. I'd be willing to bet that a vast majority of regular fans, if put in front of a tv, and were told to watch a game Leafs-Lightning game without knowing who was home or away, and no player closeups, would have some trouble figuring out which team was which.

Please reread my post, no logos. When RBK sells NHL styled jerseys for actual use (not as replicas) they are sans logo. It's the same colors and striping but no patches.

Please reread my post, no logos. When RBK sells NHL styled jerseys for actual use (not as replicas) they are sans logo. It's the same colors and striping but no patches.

Ah, my bad. I think no names/numbers when people say blank. That being said... I'm not sure if I buy your story. They must buy them based on the style of the team they are on, because there's no way that you could throw someone who doesn't know anything about the NHL (which is what I assume you mean by "air headed hockey moms" and have them always get the right one by telling them to get a Maple Leafs jersey. There has to be a more logical explanation.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

That's what your point is based on, that they are too similar.

Yes. That's less to do with the shade of blue they use and more to do with the fact that they use that shade of blue in a manner very similar to the way the Leafs use it. If they kept the shade of blue the same but used more black and silver that wouldn't be an issue.

If they don't want to return to the Cup-era set, the Lightning should just take the useless piping off their alternate, use this logo as the crest, and make white and black versions for the road and third respectively.

And here's what it would look like on the ice compared to their current crap:

AUbL1AD.png

I love that blue bolts jersey, but if they are going to bring it back they should use the new logo.

The new logo is far and away the best logo in franchise history. The old logos were terrible.

4gWZlYp.png

Im calling bull :censored:, there is no way that even a casual hockey fan could get that right when the only difference would be a single stripe (tampa), versus a double stripe (leafs). I bet that most people take the first blue and white jersey they see, and believe that to be what ever one they want to get, but I'll also ask you this. Why get a jersey of a team without a logo or anything in the first place, unless you were a uni nerd like us and knew the differences and wanted to make a jersey yourself or something?

In a vacuum, I think these lightning uniforms are really, really nice. First off, I am with those that say this is their best logo. The old crest was awful. I remember seeing the florida logo before they started playing and thinking "cool" (which it was since they were the only Florida team at the time). But then they just had a bolt over a circle-ish shape. I never understood that; one of the worst NHL jersey crests ever, imho. The Florida logo is better, but I would not want them to switch to that primary because there now is another team in the state.

There is nothing, in general, wrong with just being "color" and white. So I like the look of these. And I have a higher tolerance for steps into 06DU than most do. So I am still quite comfortable calling this their best look ever. That said, I wish they'd do something different. Even if it was northwestern striping or shoulder yokes. I am not a fan of blue and black, but blue and gray or silver could look pretty nice as well. If they are going to go with the Maple Leafs colors, I'd rather they not go with the red wings stripes. All that said, I'd rather they have this uniform than any of their old ones.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Im calling bull :censored:, there is no way that even a casual hockey fan could get that right when the only difference would be a single stripe (tampa), versus a double stripe (leafs). I bet that most people take the first blue and white jersey they see, and believe that to be what ever one they want to get, but I'll also ask you this. Why get a jersey of a team without a logo or anything in the first place, unless you were a uni nerd like us and knew the differences and wanted to make a jersey yourself or something?

If you're calling bs than you're wrong. No two ways about it.

Jerseys without logos are sold to teams, who then put their own logos/lettering of their choice on. If the wrong one were picked up it would be changed at the register. Again, I have never ever had this happen. Hell, just two or three weekends back I had a guy browsing through all of our white ones to get a pickup jersey, had to do a special order because we didn't have XXL white Tampa. Pointed out to him we had "another style that could work" (the Toronto one) and was told "that's not the Lightning one".

The new logo is far and away the best logo in franchise history. The old logos were terrible.

The best in franchise history? It looks like it was slapped together in 5 minutes so the "designers" at SME could get an early lunch... The break in the circle is laughable and looks like they couldn't decide on whether to make 2 or 3 dimensional. Adding "Tampa Bay" to the top of the road version makes it look even more amateur. Overall, it's hard to imagine SME spending more than 10 minutes on this logo package including the jerseys.

Jerseys without logos are sold to teams, who then put their own logos/lettering of their choice on. If the wrong one were picked up it would be changed at the register. Again, I have never ever had this happen. Hell, just two or three weekends back I had a guy browsing through all of our white ones to get a pickup jersey, had to do a special order because we didn't have XXL white Tampa. Pointed out to him we had "another style that could work" (the Toronto one) and was told "that's not the Lightning one".

Great, so one guy knew the difference. I'm sure a vast majority of people who buy know that their team is wearing a blue jersey, with one sleeve stripe or two sleeve stripes, and then buy the one with that amount of sleeve stripes, or they ask someone who works at the store. Also, the claim that literally nobody has ever gotten the two confused is ridiculous.

You are dealing with people who know what they are buying then, not some "airhead hockey mom", i can guarantee you that the majority don't know what they are buying and are just looking for a blue and white jersey with how ever many stripes they need

Archived