The Beginning of the End

Waffles

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Phil, Shaq, Kobe gone, Malone, Payton arent guaranteed to stay are they? and also Fisher is a Free Agent  i believe... am I right or mistaken.

Actually, no. You're right about those things, however the situation would be different.

Ya see, the Lakers don't have Grant Hill taking up just about half of their salary. That means the Lakers can go out and get talent to surround T-Mac with (or Kobe shall he choose to stay). They would have as much money as anyone in the league to land a player like Kenyon Martin who would dramatically help.

And to answer habsfannova's question -- there are a few answers for both players--

For Shaq

He can go where I suggested in return for T-Mac. I'm sure most teams would be more than willing to put together very nice packages for the Lakers in return for someone of Shaq's caliber.

For Kobe

Anyone who has the money, which includes teams like the Nuggets, Clippers, Lakers again, Jazz, and some other possibilities. However, the scariest one for the rest of the NBA is that if the Spurs choose not to resign 'Manu' Ginobli, they would have enough money to enter the running for Kobe Bryant. Kobe, Tony Parker, and Tim Duncan would be scary as hell, probably more so than Kobe and Shaq on the Lakers teams of the past few years.

edit: And with Phil Jackson leaving, so goes the triangle offense. So Gary Payton may very well pick up his option to stay and play in an offense where he CAN be successful.

IUe6Hvh.png

May they miss the next 1000 years of the playoffs, and rot in H*LL.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Is Shaq really that good trade bait? I mean he himself is getting on a bit, and fair enough you might get a couple of good years from him, but are teams really gonna trade a franchise player for the guy?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I doubt anyone will have to. I really only see Kobe OR Shaq leaving the Lakers, not both. I think their main problems with the Lakers organization stem from personal problems with each other and with Phil Jackson. Since Phil will no longer be coaching the Lake, that's one problem down. If Kobe does in fact sign with another team, then expect Shaq to stay on with LA. If Kobe resigns with the Lakers, Shaq will continue to demand a trade.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Actually, Shmee, Shaq is now mad at the Lakers front office after Kupchak for publically saying if he had to keep one of the two superstars, he would prefer to have Kobe. Here's a little from the article --

General manager Mitch Kupchak made clear the team's priorities Thursday when he said the Lakers would do anything they need to keep Bryant and would try to accommodate O'Neal if he demands a trade.

Apparently upset over Kupchak's remarks, O'Neal canceled his exit interview on Friday. O'Neal, who has been one of Jackson's biggest supporters, is under contract for two more years but could opt out after next season.

Pretty much, Shaq's beef isn't with Kobe anymore as much as the lengths the Lakers would go to keep Kobe, and how they would let Shaq go free.

And Saintsfan, it depends on what team you're considering. If it's the Magic, as I have suggested should happen, don't know the likeliness -- but Tracy McGrady has already said he will not resign with them. Might as well trade him and get something out of it. And why not get the most dominating force in the NBA? Shaq, combined with Possibly Emeka Okafor would be scary down low. And you never know, Grant Hill is making his last attempt at a come back. Crazier things have happened than him staying healthy. And if he can do that and produce a little -- the Magic would be good.

IUe6Hvh.png

Kupchak must be putting all his eggs in one basket. What if Kobe isn't "ABLE" to return to basketball next season. Maybe he knows like the rest of us that a good leagal team will get you out of any mess. I hope Shaq get's traded, Malone finally hangs it up, Payton goes away, Fisher goes and signs with some dopey team like the Hawks, and Kobe stinks it up in LA taking every shot for the team.

Yeah, the general feeling is that Kobe will be found innocent. Even the girls friends are testifying against her, I believe. But why do people criticize Kobe's shot selection? Nobody complained about Jordan shooting alot.

Remember the point in this season at which EVERYONE was on Kobe's back about him taking too many shots despite the fact that the Lakers were winning every game? And then against the Kings, he made a huge statement by only taking one first half shot and the Lakers lost by some 20+ points? Can't have it both ways people. You can't score points by not shooting.

IUe6Hvh.png

Amazing what happens when they lose an NBA Finals series. If the Warriors got their head out of their you know what, this is a golden (state, sorry had to make a joke) opertunity to grab Shaq and try to tell fans in Oakland that you are serious about winning for once.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

The buzz here in Atlanta is for the hawks to put a serious run on Kobe and/or AI

Apparently, thats what our roster flush at the end of last year was about; making dollar room for this upcoming free-agency season. I think the Hawks have more empty space than any other team.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

The buzz here in Atlanta is for the hawks to put a serious run on Kobe and/or AI

Apparently, thats what our roster flush at the end of last year was about; making dollar room for this upcoming free-agency season. I think the Hawks have more empty space than any other team.

All I keep hearing about on SportsCenter and various sports websites is that no matter where he goes, there is no place Kobe can make more money than by returning to the Lakers. If you mean ASIDE from LA, then maybe the Hawks do have the most cap room available. I wouldn't mind seeing Kobe landing in Manhattan, but I'm not sure just how likely that is.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Archived