infrared41's Best and Worst of the Week

infrared41

Back for another season with picks that are sure to make some heads explode (or at least drum up some debate) it's the best and worst uniform match-ups of the week. With an added bonus this year - a best college game or two or three, etc. of the week. (Picking the worst in College Football is way too much work.)

NFL Week One Best:

1. Raiders - Colts: This one was a tough call. The Raiders road uniforms are why this game gets the slight edge and the #1 spot. Two perfect NFL uniforms.

Raiders_Colts_Football_137256_game.jpg

2. Packers - 49ers: About as good as it gets. The Packers need to bite the bullet and go with the new Nike jersey cut. Doing so would improve an already perfect look.

Packers_49ers_Football_137578_game.jpg

3. Buccaneers - Jets: If these two teams could just find a way to play as good as they look.

APTOPIX_Buccaneers_Jets_Football_137300_

4. Chiefs - Jaguars: Pretty sure this one is a bit of a shocker. 99% of us are in agreement that the Jags helmet is a disaster - and it is. But the rest of their new look has some potential. Helmet aside, I really like the Jags all white look. The Chiefs are one of the top looks in the NFL. This may be one of the few times - maybe the only time - that the Jags end up on the best list. Yeah, I'm simply ignoring their helmets.

Chiefs_Jaguars_Football_137224_game.jpg

5. (This spot is reserved depending on what the Redskins and Eagles wear tonight.)

NFL Week One Worst:

1. Ravens - Broncos: Denver is the perfect example of why modern looks are tricky. The Broncos look hopelessly outdated and they're in bad need of a fix. If they decide to go with a fix and they go with what's "in style" again, in five years, the Broncos will look hopelessly outdated and they'll be in bad need of a fix. The Ravens have the potential to look decent. All they need to do is stick with the basics: Purple over white at home and all white on the road. Until then, they'll be spending a lot of time on the worst list.

Ravens_Broncos_Football_137078_game.jpg

2. Cardinals - Rams: Cardinals - see what I said above about the Broncos. The Rams need to ditch the blue pants. Period.

Cardinals_Rams_Football_137617_game.jpg

Bonus coverage: Two college games that I really liked.

1. Notre Dame - Michigan: It's a shame that this is the last time for the foreseeable future that we'll get to see this great uniform match-up. Beautiful simplicity.

Notre_Dame_Michigan_Football_96566_game.

2, South Carolina - Georgia: (A tip of my Browns throwback hat to Chawls for reminding me - I totally forgot about this game) Georgia is one of my favorite looks. South Carolina looked great in all white.

South%20Carolina%20Georgia%20Football_28

3. Oregon - Virginia: Sure, Oregon doesn't do a lot with their actual school colors but who cares? They look damned good. Virginia looks pretty solid too.

Oregon_Virginia_Football_95957_game.jpg

That's it for this week. Be sure to tune in again next week for another exciting episode.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

1. How would the Nike cut improve the Packers?

2. To me, the Jaguars helmet can't simply be ignored. The helmet is one of the defining aspects of a uniform and one that bad ruins everything. Of course, I don't think that there is any reedeming qualities to the rest of their uniforms either.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My case for 49ers vs Packers over Colts vs. Raiders would be that the California sun made that game much more bright and saturated than the one played inside Lucas Oil. The picture you used doesn't really do it justice.

I also thought the Lions vs. Vikings would have had a good shot to make your top 3.

1. How would the Nike cut improve the Packers?

2. To me, the Jaguars helmet can't simply be ignored. The helmet is one of the defining aspects of a uniform and one that bad ruins everything. Of course, I don't think that there is any reedeming qualities to the rest of their uniforms either.

RE: Nike - The Nike cut seems to fit better over pads, etc. The numbers don't crumple as much. IMO, it's just a better jersey cut than the old Reebok mesh jerseys. The differences aren't drastic but I do think the new Nike cut looks better. It improved quite a few uniforms last season.

RE: Jaguars - this is why I do the thread every year.

BB52Big.jpg

My case for 49ers vs Packers over Colts vs. Raiders would be that the California sun made that game much more bright and saturated than the one played inside Lucas Oil. The picture you used doesn't really do it justice.

I also thought the Lions vs. Vikings would have had a good shot to make your top 3.

As a photographer, I totally agree. But I try not to let better photography conditions play into the process. I pick the uniform match-ups I think look the best regardless of lighting. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Wish NFL teams would break out the throwbacks more often. I could see the Rams/Cards going from worst to first with their old sets. The Jets/Bucs would have looked better than they played.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Wish NFL teams would break out the throwbacks more often. I could see the Rams/Cards going from worst to first with their old sets. The Jets/Bucs would have looked better than they played.

Totally agree on Rams - Cards. But only if the Rams were in the blue and whites. Not so much on Bucs - Jets. Traditionalist that I am, I still prefer Tampa Bay's current look to the creamsicles.

BB52Big.jpg

Totally agree on Rams - Cards. But only if the Rams were in the blue and whites. Not so much on Bucs - Jets. Traditionalist that I am, I still prefer Tampa Bay's current look to the creamsicles.

Hmm. Never even considered the blue/white Rams set. Yeah, that would work. Always had a soft spot for the creamsicles. Have the Jets ever used the green Gastineau helmets since ditching them?

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

No love for South Carolina and Georgia?

South%20Carolina%20Georgia%20Football_28

Damn. I forgot about that one. Thanks for reminding me. I even made a mental note to include that game while I was watching it. The list has been updated accordingly.

BB52Big.jpg

RE: Nike - The Nike cut seems to fit better over pads, etc. The numbers don't crumple as much. IMO, it's just a better jersey cut than the old Reebok mesh jerseys. The differences aren't drastic but I do think the new Nike cut looks better. It improved quite a few uniforms last season.

Not only do I disagree with your reasoning, but I believe one of the biggest reasons the Packers didn't buy Nike's snake oil is that Nike can't come close to getting their shade of green correct. Look at the Jets, whose official shade of green is identical to Green Bay's. Nike has the Jets wearing awful olive green jerseys with forest green accents (and different color belly and armpit sweat panels).

I agree with everything on this list other than the Jaguars. Holy hell, do I disagree with that pick.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Hmm. Never even considered the blue/white Rams set. Yeah, that would work. Always had a soft spot for the creamsicles. Have the Jets ever used the green Gastineau helmets since ditching them?

Here's what Rams - Cards could have looked like...

Jimmy's version:

dieter_brock_1985_08_15.jpg

My version: (Couldn't find a pic with them playing each other)

rosey_grier_1965_11_01.jpg

terry_metcalf_1974_12_01.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Not only do I disagree with your reasoning, but I believe one of the biggest reasons the Packers didn't buy Nike's snake oil is that Nike can't come close to getting their shade of green correct. Look at the Jets, whose official shade of green is identical to Green Bay's. Nike has the Jets wearing awful olive green jerseys with forest green accents (and different color belly and armpit sweat panels).

I agree with everything on this list other than the Jaguars. Holy hell, do I disagree with that pick.

EDIT: Misread the first part. I still think the Nike cut is a better fit. No argument on the colors.

I figured that Jags pick would catch some flack.

BB52Big.jpg

I can't see the Lions making a top 5 list as long as they have all that unnecessary black trim and silly number font. The trim itself isn't the worst thing in the world, but the combination of the two is enough to make them middle of the pack at best. More likely bottom third.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I like the purple over black look for the Ravens, but I agree it looks bad with the white jersey.

Off Topic, but if the Cardinals did what the Vikings did (go to a more traditional look), they'd probably have my favorite uniforms in the NFL. I love their logo, colors, and I'm a sucker for white helmets.

I can't see the Lions making a top 5 list as long as they have all that unnecessary black trim and silly number font. The trim itself isn't the worst thing in the world, but the combination of the two is enough to make them middle of the pack at best. More likely bottom third.

Agree 100%. If ever a team needed to go back a couple looks, it's the Lions. While we're at it, this is how Sunday's game should have looked...

yahoo_sanders_run.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Archived