Pictures of Fake Jerseys that are "Almost" Real (and other jersey topics for articles I write)

rmackman

Need to be careful between labeling something a "fake jersey" when it's a "real" jersey just with poor after-market lettering / numbering.

Since >95% of NFL jerseys are sold with factory-applied lettering, chances are that one with poor lettering / numbering is fake, but there's always that 5%.

More often, you see this with MLB and NHL jerseys, where they're purchased blank and then taken to the local sporting goods shop to get lettered, and they just slap whatever twill numbers / letters they have laying around.

What BBTV said. I'd say more than 99% of the time, you can judge an NFL jersey to be counterfeit or real by its numbering, but there are exceptions.

I bought this Patrick Willis jersey at a discount from someone who had the blank attributed but got some details wrong. I forget the guy's name, but he's based in Texas and specializes in MLB jerseys.

willisfront_zps18eee008.jpg

willis_zps4aa7be6b.jpg

The front number font is too thick, the shoulders numbers are off, the back numbers and name are perfect.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the forth one seems too be real

3rd cant tell based off those pictures

2nd looks like a fake but i dont know enough about CCM jerseys to make a call

1st obvious fake the numbers and crest are really shiny which points to a fake

They're all legit

/resident knockoff Leafs jersey expert

The crest is the biggest thing to look at on a Leafs jersey. If it has a raised outer edge and the fonts are correct, it's most likely legit.

With the newer jerseys, the shoulder patches are also something to check. China just recently figured out that they're not using the 90s Leaf on the shoulders.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

the forth one seems too be real

3rd cant tell based off those pictures

2nd looks like a fake but i dont know enough about CCM jerseys to make a call

1st obvious fake the numbers and crest are really shiny which points to a fake

They're all legit

/resident knockoff Leafs jersey expert

The crest is the biggest thing to look at on a Leafs jersey. If it has a raised outer edge and the fonts are correct, it's most likely legit.

With the newer jerseys, the shoulder patches are also something to check. China just recently figured out that they're not using the 90s Leaf on the shoulders.

I might be wrong here, but aren't the shoulder patches on that 4th one incorrect?

I thought the maple leaf patches had more of a standard block font- and the uniform with the Y neck and the styled numbering had the TML shoulder patch?

5amlwx.jpg

With Packers jerseys the quickest way to tell a real from fake is the sleeves. If the stripes on the sleeves are elastic like the collar is a fake. Here's an example. Look at the sleeves on the Cobb jersey compared to the Harris Jersey.

null_zps75578900.jpg

null_zpsb428c5ef.jpg

t.jpg

Part owner in the Green Bay Packers

With Packers jerseys the quickest way to tell a real from fake is the sleeves. If the stripes on the sleeves are elastic like the collar is a fake. Here's an example. Look at the sleeves on the Cobb jersey compared to the Harris Jersey.

null_zps75578900.jpg

null_zpsb428c5ef.jpg

the nike packers authentic jerseys have the elastic arm holes too?

null_zps75578900.jpg

null_zpsb428c5ef.jpg

yes but not the stripes them selves. The stripes should screen printed, its hard to tell but the Cobb jersey the stripes are elastic.

t.jpg

Part owner in the Green Bay Packers

Cheap jersey and very nice quality NFL Jersey just need $18.99
Order 10 pcs jerseys we provide free shipping.
New Camo US.Mccuu Jerseys Available Now
NFL Nlike Drift Fashion II Elite Jersey in Stock
Share our site on Facebook you can get the 5% discount code!~
We also have the customized jersey service and you can have the jersey stitched on you name and your number!
Enjoy the best online shipping experience
www.efeelsports.com

So they're splitting the article in to Part 1 and Part 2.

Part 1 is up today: http://www.baconsports.com/comprehensive-guide-to-buying-jerseys/

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Just FYI you say something along the lines of, "if your stripes are material, it's a fake jersey". I have a Browns Elite that is 100% real and the stripes are part of the fabric on the arm, my Cowboys elite does have printed on stripes though.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

The steelers use the woven stripes as well.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

null_zps75578900.jpg

null_zpsb428c5ef.jpg

yes but not the stripes them selves. The stripes should screen printed, its hard to tell but the Cobb jersey the stripes are elastic.

The numbers on the Packers fakes are wrong too.

Just FYI you say something along the lines of, "if your stripes are material, it's a fake jersey". I have a Browns Elite that is 100% real and the stripes are part of the fabric on the arm, my Cowboys elite does have printed on stripes though.

The stripes should not be fabric. The Chicago Bears had, for a time, two printed stripes, and then the third stripe was part of the armband/cuff. I cannot think of a time when the Browns ever had material/fabric stripes.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I can't think of any examples so

I may be wrong, but I would imagine that there are examples of twill numbers combined with heat pressed NOBs.

In the case of that Ricky Watters jersey , they only had stitched numbers in '95, but they were noticeably thinner than the heat pressed ones that they replaced. The example in the article shows twill numbers that are the same thickness of the heat pressed ones.

That may be an authentic jersey just with poor customization. I have a pro-line Eagles authentic from '92. They only had numbers (or blanks) back then, no names. Could be a NFLPA thing. Anyway , I had it customized by the now defunct Gold Medal Sports, who actually did the work for the team. I got a twill nameplate with twill letters. The letters were standard block, while the Eagles actually had a much more square font. ( for example , the A had a straight horizontal line on top).

Even at 15, I was very disappointed, and to this day I've wanted to fix it, but nobody - even Exclusive Pro - can match the font (they said it was the same as the Colts current font, which is absolutely not true.)

The stripes should not be fabric. The Chicago Bears had, for a time, two printed stripes, and then the third stripe was part of the armband/cuff. I cannot think of a time when the Browns ever had material/fabric stripes.

You are wrong. That's all there is to it. Look at any steelers jersey to see woven stripes. I can't confirm the Browns, but I do think they have the same thing.

Just because team x is printed doesn't mean team y isn't "material".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I can't think of any examples so

I may be wrong, but I would imagine that there are examples of twill numbers combined with heat pressed NOBs.

In the case of that Ricky Watters jersey , they only had stitched numbers in '95, but they were noticeably thinner than the heat pressed ones that they replaced. The example in the article shows twill numbers that are the same thickness of the heat pressed ones.

That may be an authentic jersey just with poor customization. I have a pro-line Eagles authentic from '92. They only had numbers (or blanks) back then, no names. Could be a NFLPA thing. Anyway , I had it customized by the now defunct Gold Medal Sports, who actually did the work for the team. I got a twill nameplate with twill letters. The letters were standard block, while the Eagles actually had a much more square font. ( for example , the A had a straight horizontal line on top).

Even at 15, I was very disappointed, and to this day I've wanted to fix it, but nobody - even Exclusive Pro - can match the font (they said it was the same as the Colts current font, which is absolutely not true.)

You are wrong. That's all there is to it. Look at any steelers jersey to see woven stripes. I can't confirm the Browns, but I do think they have the same thing.

Just because team x is printed doesn't mean team y isn't "material".

That's true, but my comment was that I've never seen a Browns jersey with material stripes.

spacer.png

The browns Nike elites do have woven in stripes. My jersey has it and I got it from Fanzz, so I know it's real, Larry Miller companies don't sell fakes. Also looking at browns bengals game photos they look woven in. The entire sleeve is a different color (different material which it wouldnt be if the sleeves were the same material), there is no gloss or shine to the stripes which you can see on the bengals stripes, they crease and bend in a way that makes me think they aren't printed on and they seem to stain very easy which printed ones wouldn't. The Browns do in fact have woven in stripes just like the steelers. I'm not here to argue about it though, i promise you the browns do not have printed stripes.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

The browns Nike elites do have woven in stripes. My jersey has it and I got it from Fanzz, so I know it's real, Larry Miller companies don't sell fakes. Also looking at browns bengals game photos they look woven in. The entire sleeve is a different color (different material which it wouldnt be if the sleeves were the same material), there is no gloss or shine to the stripes which you can see on the bengals stripes, they crease and bend in a way that makes me think they aren't printed on and they seem to stain very easy which printed ones wouldn't. The Browns do in fact have woven in stripes just like the steelers. I'm not here to argue about it though, i promise you the browns do not have printed stripes.

Okay, then I'm wrong. It's possible that changed when they switched to Nike and I did not notice. For a long time it was indeed printed. Even way back when Tim Couch was there:

0419_large.jpg

spacer.png

Archived