St. Louis Cardinals Uniforms

Mitch B

The Phillies colors were never maroon and light blue. It was maroon and the road uniform was simply powder blue like other teams of the era. No different than gray now not being considered a team color even though its the color of their road uniforms.

And no to a light blue uniform for the Cardinals. They're already on the cusp of perfection and they don't need any alts really much less any crazy crap.

The Phillies colors were never maroon and light blue. It was maroon and the road uniform was simply powder blue like other teams of the era. No different than gray now not being considered a team color even though its the color of their road uniforms.

You are right that powder blue was the grey of that time (tho some teams continued to wear grey), but the maroon trim on those powder blues looked good together, one of the best road unis of that era.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

My feelings are pretty close to McCall's (quoted below for reference.)

Entering this season, I'd have told you the Cardinals uniforms were great as is. They really didn't need to add St. Louis to the roads. And I could take or leave the Sunday alt cap.

Now that they've messed around and shown a pretty cool St. Louis logo, I'd do this:

• Drop the alternate altogether. It's unnecessary.

• Put the St. Louis logo on the road greys.

• Either make the navy road cap the full-time road cap again, or drop it all together.

• If the navy road cap is dropped, then keep the Sunday alternate cap. Potentially change it from a bird on the bat to a red STL (without an outline but made slightly bolder).

I love the navy road caps, and I prefer them. But I'm used to the red caps on the road now. It's silly to have the navy caps around just for about 6 series a year. Use them or don't.

Pretty much I'm in favor of not having an alternate. Keeping the current clean (no-piping) look. Evolving the look to include the new St. Louis logo. And simplifying the hat options and rotation.

Leave the homes alone and put St. Louis on the roads. No cream primary homes or piping on either home or aways. The plain white with the birds on the bat are perfect. I still prefer the navy cap on the road, though not because I think the red looks bad. The navy cap is just my personal preference. I'd prefer no alt, but if they insist, place Cardinals on it (in the instance that St. Louis is put on the aways) and switch the Sunday cap to be worn with it. Really gives it more of a classic feel as their old caps were navy and red when they wore cream jerseys. Plus all that red looks awkward with cream. Not the best color to match up with cream. Just the navy crown would probably help.

I thought the Phillies maroon looked good with both the powder blue and the grey. I just think the maroon looked better than the red they switched to in the 90's.

The powder blues were an interesting era in MLB. Some teams looked better in them than others. I always liked the Phillies and Royals uniforms of that era. I thought the Braves powder blues were less appealing.

Leave the homes alone and put St. Louis on the roads. No cream primary homes or piping on either home or aways. The plain white with the birds on the bat are perfect. I still prefer the navy cap on the road, though not because I think the red looks bad. The navy cap is just my personal preference. I'd prefer no alt, but if they insist, place Cardinals on it (in the instance that St. Louis is put on the aways) and switch the Sunday cap to be worn with it. Really gives it more of a classic feel as their old caps were navy and red when they wore cream jerseys. Plus all that red looks awkward with cream. Not the best color to match up with cream. Just the navy crown would probably help.

I agree with nearly everything said here except the St. Louis script. I just don't like it. It's not necessarily bad but there's something off about it. I share the sentiment about the cream uniforms, too. Not a fan of the Cards having an alt, but if they insist on having an alternate uniform, they missed out on using the wide shoulder striping of the 1940's era uniforms and pairing it with the Sunday hat or a red-bill, blue crowned hat. I just hope one alternate uniform hasn't opened up the flood gates for a red BP lookalike jersey.

Very true. However, I really wish the MLB would start standardizing road uniform colors - most of the time, what is shown in official graphics aren't even close to what the team is wearing on the field. And then there are the Coolbase unis which often don't match the other Gray unis being used.

Here are the Phillies' colors in question:

PhiladelphiaPhillies_FRC_1988_SCC_SRGB.p

...and, the Cardinals:

SaintLouisCardinals_FRC_1984_SCC_SRGB.pn

Well revisionist history, especially with any throwback merchandise leads one to believe phillies light blue was an actual color.

Hell I'm sure most forget that once blue road uniforms weren't in anymore come the late 80s, the phillies switched to gray road uniforms.

Well revisionist history, especially with any throwback merchandise leads one to believe phillies light blue was an actual color.

Hell I'm sure most forget that once blue road uniforms weren't in anymore come the late 80s, the phillies switched to gray road uniforms.

Yes, the Phillies switched to grey, but initially continued to wear maroon and the old logo briefly.

Yes, the Phillies switched to grey, but initially continued to wear maroon and the old logo briefly.

Yea, thats what I mean, I'm sure theres people who think they went from the light blues to their current uniforms.

But they did wear these, which I think looked great.

mike.schmidt.philadelphia.phillies.1973.

Yea, thats what I mean, I'm sure theres people who think they went from the light blues to their current uniforms.

But they did wear these, which I think looked great.

mike.schmidt.philadelphia.phillies.1973.

I agree. They looked great.

• 2 weeks later...

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'd love to see the Cardinals use a modern-cut light blue uniform with similar Navy/White/Red striping as the 1980s uniforms (maybe thinner). I'd even be tempted to put that striping on the regular home and/or road. I'd actually keep the "St. Louis" on the cream alt and put it on the light blue road alt. That way, you have much of the team's uniform history in 2 home alts and 2 road alts., at least colorwise.

What's "modern cut", a jersey 3 sizes too big and baggy, long glorified sweat pants? The Cardinals should unretire their 1985-1991 uniform, with mid-calf pants, I call them "knickers" and low cut stirrups. Baseball, as a whole is in need of a major culture change.

Light blue may not have been an official color for the Phillies back then, but it should have been. It works well with that red. Also, single-color and white identities should be avoided entirely for rebrands. It's just better and more practical to have two team colors. And while the jersey Schmidt is wearing does look nice, if they wore it again, people would call for the white to be removed anyway.

As for the Cards, what STL and McCall said. Either use navy full-time on the road or get rid of it. Put St. Louis on the roads and lose the alts. Also, I want the BOB hats sent to the depths of hell, or at least accompanied by a matching batting helmet on Sundays.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'd love to see the Cardinals use a modern-cut light blue uniform with similar Navy/White/Red striping as the 1980s uniforms (maybe thinner). I'd even be tempted to put that striping on the regular home and/or road. I'd actually keep the "St. Louis" on the cream alt and put it on the light blue road alt. That way, you have much of the team's uniform history in 2 home alts and 2 road alts., at least colorwise.

What's "modern cut", a jersey 3 sizes too big and baggy, long glorified sweat pants? The Cardinals should unretire their 1985-1991 uniform, with mid-calf pants, I call them "knickers" and low cut stirrups. Baseball, as a whole is in need of a major culture change.

Speaking of culture changes, I wouldn't mind seeing these make a return to MLB clubhouses: :D

Disposable+Razor.jpg31DkguK4tRL.jpg

Today's uniforms are much better looking than the 80's crap that looked like grown men were wearing kids uniforms that were left in the washing machine too long.

Archived