The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

This one had me laughing for a while

200911620530665.jpg

Thank goodness he never had to wear those.

Actually, I remember in my sophmore year in college (1999-2000) a guy in the cafeteria had a dark blue and copper Gretzky oilers jersey. This was in the pre-ccslc & pre-counterfit days. Nobody at my table could understand my rage at that jersey. I then proceded to wear my correct Gretzky jersey to the cafeteria for a week straight to prove my point.

The sad thing was, that kid probably paid a lot of money for his jersey and it was a top rate sewing job, just the wrong jersey.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I always thought anachronistic jersey/player combos like that were just kind of a fashion thing, though. Not necessarily because the wearer thinks that that player actually wore that jersey.

I would say it's on a case by case basis. Some (probably most) people are probably in the "thinks the player wore that jersey" camp. Remember, not everyone's as into uniform changes as we are.

I work at the main team store at Target Field. When it's the pregame rush in the store and I'm talking jerseys with someone and the subject of fakes comes up, there's a little game I like to play. I tell them I can spot a fake jersey within 10 seconds. There's so many of them around now I haven't lost yet.

I can't really argue with people who say "I know it's fake but it's all I can afford and it's good enough for me." I don't like it, and it probably costs my company money, but I can't argue with their reasoning. What I don't like is people who come in and tell me "they can get any jersey you want for $40 and you can't tell the difference". I can tell the difference from 100 feet away when they walk in the door.

The other thing that bugs me are people wearing fakes who come over and check the price of legit ones to "see how much they saved". Well, the spent less, but since they didn't buy a real jersey, they didn't "save" anything, they just paid less for something that is worth less. And worthless. Big difference.

We even had a supervisor accept a fake jersey in exchange for a real one! And it was in a size they don't make for retail!

For those of you who buy fakes and think no one will notice, those of us who do care, do notice and think less of you. :P

As for the Twins jersey posted earlier in this thread, the sleeve patch is a giveaway because it's flat across the top and bottom. It's supposed to be arched. And real patches are sewn onto the jersey, not embroidered into the jersey.

Still with me? If anyone here cares about the difference between real and fakes, can spot the difference and lives in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, we have a job fair coming up to hire people for the retail store and I can get you on the inside track for a job at the stadium team store. Send me a PM and I'll give you the details.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

666flames.jpg

If I order this thing, the logo damn well better be backwards.

If it's not, send it back because "the logo is backwards" (the right way)

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Piping gone wild... (look at that hideous 57, too)

Buffalo%20Sabrels-004.jpg

Isn't this stretching it just a bit?

NY-Mets-018.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The other thing that bugs me are people wearing fakes who come over and check the price of legit ones to "see how much they saved". Well, they spent less, but since they didn't buy a real jersey, they didn't "save" anything, they just paid less for something that is worth less. Big difference.

Absolutely, these are ignorant people with no knowledge of jerseys, sports logos, or anything else to do with them. Im sure most people on these boards pity these people. They will never know the joy of purchasing an authentic jersey, knowing its the real thing and being able to know why.

The other thing that bugs me are people wearing fakes who come over and check the price of legit ones to "see how much they saved". Well, they spent less, but since they didn't buy a real jersey, they didn't "save" anything, they just paid less for something that is worth less. Big difference.

Absolutely, these are ignorent people with no knowledge of jerseys, sports logos, or anything else to do with them. Im sure most people on these boards pity these people. They will never know the joy of purchasing an authentic jersey, knowing its the real thing and being able to know why.

It's hard for me to not make a joke about misspelling "ignorant." You walked right into that one. But I won't say anything else about that.

I disagree with you guys, I consider myself to be very knowledgeable about sports logos, but that wouldn't necessarily stop me from buying a fake. I mean it's not like I actually play for the team. As long as the fake doesn't have blatant errors, I would have no problem buying and wearing it. I think I would get more "joy" out of buying a fake and being able to buy something else with the money I saved, than supposed joy gotten from buying an authentic. And I guess that's what makes people different.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I know the Montreal Canadiens had a trade in sale where they offered a discount if you turned in a fake jersey, but it would be really interesting to see what would happen if a pro team really, really took a hard line against fakes.

Not allowing people into the stadium wearing or even possessing fakes, not allowing players to sign fakes, not allowing vendors to sell fakes near the stadium or at team sponsored events, like their fan fests. It sure would be interesting to see how many people would be turned away or would have to surrender their fakes to be allowed in the stadium on a game day. THAT would make the news and draw some real attention to the issue, and it might be worth the possible PR hit to try it if you could spin the media attention the right way and have them cover the anti-American Chinese counterfeit angle rather than have the issue become the greedy team angle.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Absolutely, these are ignorent people with no knowledge of jerseys, sports logos, or anything else to do with them. Im sure most people on these boards pity these people. They will never know the joy of purchasing an authentic jersey, knowing its the real thing and being able to know why.

It's hard for me to not make a joke about misspelling "ignorant." You walked right into that one. But I won't say anything else about that.

I disagree with you guys, I consider myself to be very knowledgeable about sports logos, but that wouldn't necessarily stop me from buying a fake. I mean it's not like I actually play for the team. As long as the fake doesn't have blatant errors, I would have no problem buying and wearing it. I think I would get more "joy" out of buying a fake and being able to buy something else with the money I saved, than supposed joy gotten from buying an authentic. And I guess that's what makes people different.

Blatant error = Illegal item w/stolen artwork?

"Joy" = Using the saving from the purchase of illegal items?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

I meant a blatantly noticeable error. Like a wrong letter, or wrong font, or something like that. Not the fact that it's illegal in and of itself.

And I didn't want to steer the discussion back to this, but here we go: Do you ever exceed the speed limit while driving? Then I guess you drive illegally.

I meant a blatantly noticeable error. Like a wrong letter, or wrong font, or something like that. Not the fact that it's illegal in and of itself.

And I didn't want to steer the discussion back to this, but here we go: Do you ever exceed the speed limit while driving? Then I guess you drive illegally.

#1 Speeding is a victimless crime, intellectual property theft is not. Speeding is a civil infraction where as theft is a crime.

#2 Since I drive a company car I do not speed out of fear/concern of tickets or trouble at work.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

#1 Speeding is a victimless crime, intellectual property theft is not. Speeding is a civil infraction where as theft is a crime.

#2 Since I drive a company car I do not speed out of fear/concern of tickets or trouble at work.

Speeding is not a victimless crime. It is one of the leading causes of automobile accidents. I say this as a former NHTSA Engineer (and someone with more than half a brain).

I'm not saying that intellectual property theft is not a crime (I have also worked as a Patent Examiner at the USPTO), but to say that speeding is less serious of a crime than IP theft is completely asinine.

Speeding is not a victimless crime. It is one of the leading causes of automobile accidents. I say this as a former NHTSA Engineer (and someone with more than half a brain).

I'm not saying that intellectual property theft is not a crime (I have also worked as a Patent Examiner at the USPTO), but to say that speeding is less serious of a crime than IP theft is completely asinine.

Let me clear it up for you (and yes I know your a college grad) but...

Driving 75 in a 70 is a victimless civil infraction.

A car accident is not a crime either.

Driving 75 in a 70, then hitting somebody due to wrecklessness or driver neglect is something different.

However, this thread is about counterfitting. It may not be the worst crime in the world, but it is one none the less.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

We are all very impressed with your ability to catch grammatical errors. Your opinions and knowledge of Jerseys... not so much. Ignorance is claiming that these counterfeit jerseys do not have blatant errors in a 12 page thread dedicated to pointing them out. If you had bothered to read the thread I am sure you would have seen things like the Flames jersey having the logo backwards, the Team USA World Juniors jersey having a Team Canada tag and every other Counterfeit rag sporting oversized, wrinkled crests that look nothing like the real thing. What takes the cake however is that you have the audacity to brag about the money you saved by purchasing said rags on a message board populated by the designers who are getting ripped off by people like you. That is Ignorance.

We are all very impressed with your ability to catch grammatical errors. Your opinions and knowledge of Jerseys... not so much. Ignorance is claiming that these counterfeit jerseys do not have blatant errors in a 12 page thread dedicated to pointing them out. If you had bothered to read the thread I am sure you would have seen things like the Flames jersey having the logo backwards, the Team USA World Juniors jersey having a Team Canada tag and every other Counterfeit rag sporting oversized, wrinkled crests that look nothing like the real thing. What takes the cake however is that you have the audacity to brag the money you saved by purchasing these rags on a message board populated by the designers who are getting ripped off by people like you. That is Ignorance.

Yeah, but some people speed on the free way so it evens out. :rolleyes:

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

i guess you would all look down on someone making their own jersey. and by that i mean actually making the crests and the striping and piping themselves.

where do you who are against this draw the line? if someone takes a blue hockey jersey and adds an iron-on oilers logo, would you rip them for that? both are cheaply made knock offs, but one happens to not be made in china and the other in someone's basement.

i'm sorry. i still can't get mad at anyone who buys one of these. as i said before, i would never do it because i have a discerning enough eye to tell bad replicas from the real thing. if someone does not want to pay out of their rear ends for an official looking jersey that has been marked up several hundred percent, i don't blame them and won't crucify anyone who gets one.

Two wrongs make a right, eh? This isn't a discussion about speeding, it's about the production, selling, and buying of counterfeit jerseys. Whether or not someone speeds has no barring on the fact that by knowingly buying a counterfeit you are knowingly contributing to intellectual property theft.

Ops, I forgot. Theft is ok when you're stealing from rich people, right?

Are authentics (and even replicas in some circles) over-priced? Yeah, they are. The answer isn't to support an illegal enterprise though. The answer is to simply stop buying the jerseys. That's the beauty of the free market. If enough people simply don't buy their goods due to the high price tag then Reebok, Nike, etc... will lower their prices.

i guess you would all look down on someone making their own jersey. and by that i mean actually making the crests and the striping and piping themselves.

where do you who are against this draw the line? if someone takes a blue hockey jersey and adds an iron-on oilers logo, would you rip them for that? both are cheaply made knock offs, but one happens to not be made in china and the other in someone's basement.

The line is very easy to spot, actually. If someone makes their own jersey for their own use in their basement that's fine. If he starts making tons of them and selling them for a profit, then it's intellectual property theft. Funny how a basic examination of the hypothetical situation clears up the question.

i'm sorry. i still can't get mad at anyone who buys one of these. as i said before, i would never do it because i have a discerning enough eye to tell bad replicas from the real thing. if someone does not want to pay out of their rear ends for an official looking jersey that has been marked up several hundred percent, i don't blame them and won't crucify anyone who gets one.

If someone cannot afford an official replica or authentic then the prudent thing to do would be to not buy a jersey at all.

Like I said, two wrongs do not make a right. Justifying your knowing contribution to a criminal enterprise because the evil corporation has marked up the real thing doesn't really change the fact that you have indeed contributed to an illegal enterprise.