Mizzou's Michael Sam comes out

McCall

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what was nice?

When Robbie Rogers came out, the soccer community was like "okay, cool." We weren't worrying about whether or not it would hurt his chances of returning to soccer or his USMNT chances.

Unfortunately, football culture isn't the same way. Hopefully one day the public opinion on these issues will change.

...Also the NBA was very supportive of Jason Collins coming out. BUT not supportive enough because no teams signed him, sadly. Yeah gotta agree with you about the NFL. Generally just not an accepting league you're either manly or you're dead to them.

You know what was nice?

When Robbie Rogers came out, the soccer community was like "okay, cool." We weren't worrying about whether or not it would hurt his chances of returning to soccer or his USMNT chances.

Unfortunately, football culture isn't the same way. Hopefully one day the public opinion on these issues will change.

...Also the NBA was very supportive of Jason Collins coming out. BUT not supportive enough because no teams signed him, sadly. Yeah gotta agree with you about the NFL. Generally just not an accepting league you're either manly or you're dead to them.

The Nets signed him.... after he came out too.

You know what was nice?

The Nets signed him.... after he came out too.
He also just wasn't very good, so the Nets did that as a favor basically.

Well, I don't know about that. He was able to contribute to their playoff run.

Neither the NFL nor NBA have shown they're ready to embrace a gay player. The NBA has done much more, but even so the only player comfortable coming out has been old enough that the possible blacklisting would only cost him a year or two at most. There's no comparison with MLS and Robbie Rogers.

Neither the NFL nor NBA have shown they're ready to embrace a gay player. The NBA has done much more, but even so the only player comfortable coming out has been old enough that the possible blacklisting would only cost him a year or two at most. There's no comparison with MLS and Robbie Rogers.

I don't know how minutes factor into PER, but his hovered around four his last four years. In his stint with the Hawks, his PER was .9. Also, per 36 minutes, he would have averaged more fouls than rebounds or points. In I think two seasons. Check basketball-reference, that's where I got this.

Edit: In all actually, Collins coming out may have helped his career. He came out later in the season and he was still a free agent in the downhill part of his career.

You may well be right, and I defer to your knowledge. I remember him being a decent bench player for the Nets, but basketball hasn't been my sport for decades.

Regardless, it's telling that the only NBA player to come out of the closet did so when he didn't have much career left to ruin. It's a positive step, but we'll know they're really there when their version of Robbie Roberts does it. And the NFL... well, they've got much farther to go.

I don't know how minutes factor into PER, but his hovered around four his last four years. In his stint with the Hawks, his PER was .9. Also, per 36 minutes, he would have averaged more fouls than rebounds or points. In I think two seasons. Check basketball-reference, that's where I got this.

Edit: In all actually, Collins coming out may have helped his career. He came out later in the season and he was still a free agent in the downhill part of his career.

Yeah, Collins best talent was being able to disrupt and frustrate Dwight Howard and providing the Hawks with 6 fouls. His skill level at that point of his career was "being tall/big". He was pivotal in that playoff series between Orlando and Atlanta the year the Hawks upset them.

I am glad to see that Sam has an opportunity to play professional football, even if it is for a team I despise. I hope he does well - just not against my Argonauts.

• 3 weeks later...

Well that didn't last long...

We'll have to wait and see what the full story behind this is, but he's turning into more of a circus than Tim Tebow.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Well that didn't last long...

We'll have to wait and see what the full story behind this is, but he's turning into more of a circus than Tim Tebow.

Only because certain people are intent on making it a circus ;)

Archived