Concept - Memphis Grizzlies

DanOtis

This is incredible. I love the black and gold, and the teal/red/white would make an awesome fauxback/alt with a nod to Vancouver.

mainescarf.png

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many thanks everybody!

Again - for those who are interested - here's the development of the logo...

This was the picture of which I chose the pose of the head.

img_bear_zps6a3e82a3.jpg

Before - I had scrolled through many many bear pictures and did some pencil workout - getting to know the shapes of the bear's head.

1 - Pencil on paper - top: Rough sketch on paper of the intended pose; bottom: refining the sketch, defining lighting and shadowing

2 - Sketchbook light - top: resketching the lines with a tablet in sketchbook; bottom: bringing in the shapes and shadows

3 - Illustrator - top: using the pen tool to redraw the sketchbook sketch; bottom: fixing the the eyes

4 - Illustrator - top: implementing the wordmark; bottom: adding outline and implementing color.

sketch_bear_zps94ad5dcf.jpgsketchbook_bear_zps1fcacc0d.jpgillstrator_bear_zpsfa8aa469.jpg

illstrator2_bear_zpsfbd579db.jpg

atbw

Daniel

Awesome execution dude! You should definitely fill this project out- Try a secondary logo and a tertiary logo. Looks like great portfolio work.

Thank you! Now you got me started about a secondary...

Wanted to include a basketball as there is none in the primary logo and tried to stick to the primary's look. Also had to introduce more shades of grey and yellow in order to create more depth.

EDIT: Updated the top shadow of the ball.

Logo_Presentation_Grizzlies_secondary_zp

Primary & Secondary together...

grizzlies_presentation_850x400-ps_zps71e

atbw

Daniel

Awesome execution dude! You should definitely fill this project out- Try a secondary logo and a tertiary logo. Looks like great portfolio work.

Wanted to include a basketball as there is none in the primary logo and tried to stick to the primary's look. Also had to introduce more shades of grey and yellow in order to create more depth.

grizzlies_presentation_850x400-ps_zps278

atbw

Daniel

I think the grizzly eating a basketball looks really weird and forced. The ball looks huge in the grizzly's mouth. Maybe try the basketball in the grizzly's hand (like what Memphis does now), or just a paw itself. Great logos by the way!

Here is the current secondary logo for the Grizzlies.

MemphisGrizzliessecondarylogo_zps540670f

The bear in the secondary looks like it's gagging on the basketball. Not an appealing image. When you first proposed a secondary, I had thought paw-and-basketball, but immediately realised it's already been done. Not sure what direction you could go. Maybe something specific to Memphis, rather than specific to grizzlies? It worked great for the former New Orleans Hornets. A basketball and paddlewheel merged, maybe?

rATMcmK.png

Every logo with an animal shows the basketball in normal form. What if the ball was deflating as the Grizzly was biteing it? It would look less forced and more natural, plus it is a different take on using a ball.

EDIT: Updated the top shadow of the ball.

grizzlies_presentation_850x400-ps_zps71e

atbw

Daniel

This is pretty great. I love the little "M" on the nose. I don't like how the nose is black on the primary and grey on the secondary. Same goes for having lighter gray highlights on the secondary, but not the primary. Both are great marks, but some increased consistency would make them feel like a set.

On the secondary I would also try shrinking the ball a little and showing a portion of the lower jaw.

Hey guys. Thanks for your comments.

Thought that this pose has not been used that much before and tried to give it a go - but perhaps there is a reason for it. So you're probably right. Don't want this bear to choke. Also not a big fan of a deflating ball. So this fella might get a lower jaw and will be used in a different way.

The Memphis theme is something I would have to discover first. The paw thing is too overused so I probably won't go that direction.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Atbw

Daniel

This is incredible. I love the black and gold, and the teal/red/white would make an awesome fauxback/alt with a nod to Vancouver.

The Grizzlies' original colours should stay in Vancouver, not in Memphis. For those who may not know, the turquoise represented the British Columbia waters and the red represented the Grizzlies as a Canadian-based team.

In fact, not to get off base with what is supposed to be a Memphis Grizzlies concept, but the Grizzlies' Vancouver colours would make a great look for another Vancouver franchise, should the NBA return. Transfer the orca brand from the Canucks to a new NBA franchise, it's perfect. The black and white represent the orca, the B.C./Pacific turquoise, and the Canadian red. Just exclude the bear bronze and it's the perfect fit!

As for the Grizzlies, their double blue and gold work for me. I also like the idea of black and gold as well. Don't see Pittsburgh getting a team so the latter colour-scheme would work.

This is pretty great. I love the little "M" on the nose. I don't like how the nose is black on the primary and grey on the secondary. Same goes for having lighter gray highlights on the secondary, but not the primary. Both are great marks, but some increased consistency would make them feel like a set.

On the secondary I would also try shrinking the ball a little and showing a portion of the lower jaw.

Hmm - Don't know how that happened but I somehow overlooked your post and answered without considering your words. Thanks a lot for your critique. I already had that bothering me (nose black/gray, gray highlights) and was wondering if that really makes it inconsistent or if the different scale of detail justifies a different approach (at least for the gray highlights). I'll try the nose job anyway. Again - thanks for looking at it that detailed.

At least - your response ecourages me to give the ball eating grizzly another chance. Perhaps - with the lower jaw visible - it will take away the fear of choking.

Atbw

Daniel

Archived