Super Bowl Field Database - Super Bowl LVIII

pitt6pack

The field started looking like crap as the game went on.  I don't know if it's the paint they're using or what, but I've never seen a big game field deteriorate like that.  I mean, there have been plenty of college bowl game fields that have looked good through the whole game. Just total amateur hour here.  

From a non-aesthetic POV, the field quality was poor.  Guys were slipping the entire game and I think Dion Lewis suffered a pretty bad injury on the trick play at the end of regulation.  And it was supposed to be FieldTurf, or somesuch, too.  No excuse.  Last years field was bad too.  I feel like they're trying to get this painted and prepped at the very last minute.

Field quality was good to start, but got worse in the second half big time. The reason why the paint started to fade was the stage set for Lady Gaga. The stage tunnel was to the left of the field and all the equipment had to go through the Patriots end zone. I am wondering with the fields, if the "walk through" of both teams and the stage prep the night before did a number on ERG Stadiums' field, and because of the "fiasco" of the Hall of Fame game's markings. DID the NFL go with a new formula of paint?

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

I will say this.  I was not to fond of the field at NRG Stadium.  The SB LI logos looked awful.  They were dark grey and can be barely seen.  The white line marker (25) was visible.  It did not look right.  I am guessing it was due to the lighting of the stadium.  I also noticed that the blue background on Patriots end zone had some faded sections.  

If I were in charge, I would make the SB LI field like this.  I made it by using an Excel spreadsheet.  Even so, my field would have turned to crud after the Lady Gaga halftime show.  Just my opinion.

Da Field.xlsx

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kroywen said:

Not sure what looks worse: the Patriots offense or their end zone markings. The blue has almost completely faded in one part of the end zone.

Interesting to see this post now knowing what actually happened

20 hours ago, Silence of the Rams said:

More of a process question. Do you have all the super bowl team endzones before the season to make sure you are not rushing come playoff time

I make the endzones as I see the field. It's really hard to predict the exact dimensions until I see the field. To get the sizes right I have to get a behind the endzone shot, and base the widths and locations of logos and wordmarks relative to the numbers and center field hashes.

15 hours ago, Salvy_Mic said:

The field started looking like crap as the game went on.  I don't know if it's the paint they're using or what, but I've never seen a big game field deteriorate like that.  I mean, there have been plenty of college bowl game fields that have looked good through the whole game. Just total amateur hour here.  

From a non-aesthetic POV, the field quality was poor.  Guys were slipping the entire game and I think Dion Lewis suffered a pretty bad injury on the trick play at the end of regulation.  And it was supposed to be FieldTurf, or somesuch, too.  No excuse.  Last years field was bad too.  I feel like they're trying to get this painted and prepped at the very last minute.

I've never seen paint deteriorate like that on a field that badly before. The bottom corner of the Pats endzone was nearly green in some parts.

Anyhow. I'm making final updates that I'll fix in the official post. Here is midfield with the logo update.

Before

51_Midfield.png

After

51_Midfield.png

• Like 1

Made my final updates

51.png

The sideline banners were red in the areas seen in this re-creation. I made the Patriots navy a bit lighter. I also made the Super Bowl logos darker. They were sort of hard to see on the field, and didn't really look good. The template logos have never been painted consistently, except for maybe Super Bowls XLVI and XLVII. Last small change, I made the two point line wider.

If only I could change a certain play call or two, maybe the Falcons would be kicking a field goal to take an 11 point lead.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pitt6pack said:

Made my final updates

51.png

The sideline banners were red in the areas seen in this re-creation. I made the Patriots navy a bit lighter. I also made the Super Bowl logos darker. They were sort of hard to see on the field, and didn't really look good. The template logos have never been painted consistently, except for maybe Super Bowls XLVI and XLVII. Last small change, I made the two point line wider.

If only I could change a certain play call or two, maybe the Falcons would be kicking a field goal to take an 11 point lead.

That is the truth,

I was not very confident with the Play calling by the Falcons on the critical series. A big sack, a really bad time to get a holding penalty, and what was that call on 3rd down? A sideline pattern that was way out of bounds!

48 minutes ago, RayFinkle said:

Could just be me, but it seems that the endzones and SB logos always get washed out, but the NFL shield always looks good. Am I crazy or does anyone see that too?

It's all in protecting "the Shield!" man. "the Shield!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fouhy12 said:

I'm not sure if your representation of the field really matches just how washed out it was. 920x920.jpg

This picture really shows how washed out the Super Bowl logos were.

To the point of being almost invisible. They just blend in with the grass.

Between the washed out Super Bowl logos, the faded paint in the Pats' endzone, and the general blandness of the field markings (which has been a problem for quite a few years now), this was one of the worst Super Bowl fields ever. Combine the aesthetic appearance with the inexcusably poor condition of the field, and this really felt like amateur hour.

If you ever told me that the above picture was taken at the Super Bowl - before the game began, no less - I'd have never believed you. Incredibly boring field and rather ratty looking.

Here's what gets me.  Considering these sorts of fields are synthetic anyway, would it perhaps make more sense to actually have the field itself pre-colored at the plant?  They could install the field in jigsaw like fashion, the colors wouldn't run, then they could probably recycle or donate the patches once the game is over.  

I think that's what they do at MetLife, because the end zones always look like they're full of barely noticeable squares, while the rest of the field stays static.  

Then again, painting is probably more cost effective, but whatever paint they're using, it does not bond well at all with artificial turf.

• Like 1

I have no inside knowledge, but my suspicion is that time is the determining factor. Sure, they could easily pre-fabricate the NFL and Super Bowl logos, but they only have 2 weeks advance notice to allow them to produce the endzones and sideline designs. That's probably too short of a turn around for the turf company to manufacture.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

I have no inside knowledge, but my suspicion is that time is the determining factor. Sure, they could easily pre-fabricate the NFL and Super Bowl logos, but they only have 2 weeks advance notice to allow them to produce the endzones and sideline designs. That's probably too short of a turn around for the turf company to manufacture.

You're probably right, so in that case, they need to procure better paint that will bond with the synthetic field better. Even before field use, the last few synthetic turf Super Bowls had fields that looked washed out and as if the colors were already running.  

• Like 1