CFL Expansion

Foolio8ca

What city do you want to be in the CFL?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Halifax can't be that big a market, can it? If the CFL's counting the whole of the Maritimes as the Halifax market, then maybe.

That said, I voted for Quebec City. Nice rival for Montreal.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

You have a point on several fronts. Quebec City has a population of 680000 while Halifax has only 360000; there is a greater fan base from which to draw. It is also closer to Montreal than Halifax is.

Without trying to start something, the province of Quebec seems to really only support professional hockey to any great extent. They did lose the Alouettes once. This go round, they've found an ideal stadium and regularly have sell-outs. Could this be the case with Quebec City? I don't know. I do know that baseball, sadly, is soon to be relegated to history in that province.

However, I think a place like Halifax would show up in huge numbers to support a team. Canadian college football thrives in the Maritimes, as it also does in Quebec. Given the CFL's non-import rules, the possibility of supporting a local guy would be even more appealing for the folks there.

It's more a gut feeling than anything...kind of hard to explain.

OK, CFL fans...this takes some guts to say...but....

Raise the amount of imports a team can have.

then, Expand by 3 teams so that no Canadian jobs are lost.

Add Quebec, Halifax, and Kelowna or Saskatoon out west. Make it a 6 team leauge, and with crossover, it's extremly unlikely that a team will make the playoffs without a winning record. More people go to games, intrest increased.

Halifax or Quebec make the most sense--then after they get established try adding one in the West & one in the east and make it a 12 team league--but only after it's stabilized...

There was once a Halifax group who would have had a team if they'd had a stadium (Atlantic Schooners--if Halifax gets a team they should still use the name...)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I voted Halifax, partly because I've always thought "Sea to CFL" would be a clever slogan.

...and I don't want the import limit increased. In fact, I'd like to a ways in the other direction: eliminate the quarterback position from being exempt. Since only backups would be affected, it would hardly affect the level of play, plus it would help Canadian quarterbacks who deserve a shot in the league (like Denison did in Winnipeg) get their chance.

The CFL is increasing in popularity, and so will junior football in Canada. If they put a little money into developing football coaching in Canada, we might one day see more Davis Sanchezes, Ben Cahoons, and perhaps the next Russ Jackson.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I think the CFl should expand to 12 teams. Quebec or Halifax and then add the one that didnt get the team and another(saskatoon, london, victoria?) in a couple years down the road.

I think the question is what should the 3rd city be.

but for the first expansion site id say give halifax a chance

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

I heard that the CFL was leaning toward Moncton rather than Halifax, just because there are more people within an hour driving distance, but the problem would be building a stadium out there. Maybe Quebec would be a better choice.

Sacramento or San Jose. Either city can be capable of a team and with the head start the CFL has, it could work!

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Sacramento or San Jose. Either city can be capable of a team and with the head start the CFL has, it could work!

Say, Sacramento did alright, right? At least in the first year. So what happened after that?

I saw, I came, I left.

Sacramento or San Jose.  Either city can be capable of a team and with the head start the CFL has, it could work!

Say, Sacramento did alright, right? At least in the first year. So what happened after that?

Sacramento did so well they moved to San ANtonio--of course their first season was tough as they were the only US based team that year...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived