How 'Bout Them Cowboys!

wdm1219inpenna

Often I see posts on here where people ask "What changes or improvements would you like to see made to uniforms?"

One thing that has bugged me to no end, is not merely the mismatched color scheme of the Dallas Cowboys uniforms, but the thickness of the numerals on the uniform jerseys themselves. I was able to pinpoint when this happened. In 1985, the Cowboys still had the thinner numbers. In 1986, they switched to the thicker numerals, as showcased below:

THICKANDTHIN_zps163a83eb.png

I personally prefer the thinner numerals. I was wondering how the rest of you felt? Not just Cowboys fans, but football fans, or simply fans of uniforms/logos. I am in my late 40s and began watching NFL circa 1974. I stopped watching the NFL in 2013 for myriad reasons, but still am enamored with the logos, helmets and uniforms.

Perhaps if this becomes popular or semi-popular, I can add more, and others can feel free to do so as well. I thought of one more team too which I may post later today, if we don't lose power again, and if we don't get violent thunderstorms in the area.

I actually prefer bigger numbers on jerseys, but that's just me. For what it's worth, I'm in my mid 30s.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Raise your hand if you opened this topic in hopes of reading confirmation that they had fixed their issues and/or were going to start wearing navy jerseys at home. :)

Oh, and the old numbers look better. I usually don't like thinner numbers (current Dodgers as an example), but in this case, the thinner ones were clearer to read.

The 1996 Pittsburgh Steelers were the last to wear the, what I call "real", football numerals on their jerseys. Then in 1997 they went to what they currently have. And while that font does match the numerals used on the fronts of their helmets, I never much cared for the current numerals. They seem too rounded, too "soft" to represent "football", although with the way the NFL is anymore, with no defense allowed, perhaps it is fitting somehow that they and the Bengals both have the rounded numerals instead of the block numerals from the days of yore.

For as new as the Carolina Panthers are, and especially with their logo update just 2 or 3 years ago, it still amazes me that their uniform numeral font is "old school" block-style NFL.

Oldschoolvikings did an amazing job updating the slab-serif Cowboys:

cow1_zps2e2f6c22.png

Note the dark royal blue, single shade of silver, striped socks, and the elimination of black on the sleeve stripes.

Wow! Thanks for thinking of this one. I appreciate the acknowledgment.

as played out as double blue is (titans etc) this is by far the ideal look that the cowboys should run with...if they are going to wear white at home (with coordinate helmet/pants) they really need to have a bluish silver to differentiate themselves from looking like the lions on the road.

Raise your hand if you opened this topic in hopes of reading confirmation that they had fixed their issues and/or were going to start wearing navy jerseys at home. :)

Guilty.

Oldschoolvikings did an amazing job updating the slab-serif Cowboys:

cow1_zps2e2f6c22.png

Note the dark royal blue, single shade of silver, striped socks, and the elimination of black on the sleeve stripes.

Love it. Solid color choices, IMO.

Archived