Stein Creative - MLB All Star Game logo

OhioSportsMan61

Hi all,

Over this summer, I have been working on a few things to build up my design portfolio. In the past, I have extensively worked on uniform concepts that have been posted here on this board, but I would like to expand my horizons a bit and give logos, wordmarks and branding a shot. My goal for this thread is to be able to post my designs and get some constructive criticism on what I can do better so I can learn more about creating some nice designs and what is acceptable in the eyes of consumers (i.e. you guys).

I have a few things in the works right now, but I am going to start things off by sharing a personal logo that I have created. Problem is, I cannot decide what color combination works best! So I have worked up some mockups of different combos that I think could work well with each other, as well as two basic, simplified versions. C&C is always appreciated!

PersonalLogoMockups_zps42566dab.png

Simplified...

PLSimplifiedMockups_zpsd867e4d2.png

My Behance Portfolio --- Follow @Steinosaur19

2LYbxnm.png

So are options B, D, F, and H different in the fact that the background is navy? I would make the blue lighter. Either way it looks real nice.

Yes, options D, F, and H all have navy backgrounds. B still has a black one, just differs in the color of the "S" from option A

2LYbxnm.png

adjust the kerning in "CreATive"

Thanks for pointing that out, never noticed that until now. I'll fix that up

I'd go with D or F personally. How'd one look without the gradient?

I'm leaning towards D or F, too, but I want to be able to incorporate the simple black and white designs also. Comparing the designs with and without a gradient, I definitely prefer having it simply because it helps give the "S" its shape and depth.

2LYbxnm.png

I think the gap between the three shapes needs to be thicker to help maintain the mark when reproduced at the size of a dime

the text next to the mark just seems like it's there for no reason, is that the best place for it? Your mark has very sharp points but your text is rounded on the corners, I'd consider a different font

So I've taken into consideration what has been critiqued so far, and have come up with this update. I think I have settled on a color, but not yet for a typeface, so I think I am going to leave that out of the main mark. C&C always welcome, I am also working on more secondary/tertiary marks with a the word mark too.

MainMarks_zpsb77f183e.png

2LYbxnm.png

I really liked the green. really nice overall

Thanks! I still haven't exactly settled on a color yet, I really like both the orange and green ones.

Anyways, here is something I have been working on. Coincidentally, it is also my HJC Open second round submission (so vote for me! ;) ). I took inspiration from the Blue Jackets prototype jersey that came to light a week or two ago. The home and road tie in the branding that has been consistent throughout the team's existence, but also has a military feel with the chevrons, which evokes the Civil War branding. And the alternate continues and expands the Civil War theme, as it is based off of a Union Army uniform. Logo-wise, I felt the cannon fit better with the identity I was shooting for, as well as the hat/wordmark logo - took inspiration from a past logo by Justin Cox on that one. C&C is always appreciated! Look out for more mini projects to be posted in here, too

CBJLogos_zps66c65fc4.png

AviSecondRd_zps57714c4e.png

CBJAF_zpsdfbaed09.png

2LYbxnm.png

Overall, I absolutely love this concept. I love the civil war feel that this has and it works well to give the Jackets a solid identity. I think the alternate is brilliant. There isn't anything like that in the NHL yet and I think it would definitely draw interest with a jersey like that.

First off, I Love the home and road. They're brilliant, I dare say perfect. Really, superb work.

The third jersey looks good, but I wonder about the Mallard effect, where when you see 20 of them together, it gets ruined.

Like this,

QuadCityMallardsSherriff_display_image.j

I'm sure it looked good on paper, but when you get them all together...ugh.

If there was a mockup, maybe of the whole team photoshopped, you could really sell the idea. Until then, I have reservations.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

First off, I Love the home and road. They're brilliant, I dare say perfect. Really, superb work.

The third jersey looks good, but I wonder about the Mallard effect, where when you see 20 of them together, it gets ruined.

Like this,

QuadCityMallardsSherriff_display_image.j

I'm sure it looked good on paper, but when you get them all together...ugh.

If there was a mockup, maybe of the whole team photoshopped, you could really sell the idea. Until then, I have reservations.

I get your concerns about what it would look like altogether on the ice, but I'd like to think that the uniform you just referenced looks like crap in general - even by itself. The idea behind the alternate was to make it look like a battalion of the Union Army, while keeping a simple, relatively clean look.

2LYbxnm.png

I really like this look. The more basic (but still interesting) designs of the home and road pair well with the out there alternate, which is awesome. I just have two suggestions. One, recolor the shoulder patch on the home and road to match the color scheme better. Two, match the hem stripes to the bottom sleeve stripes. So for the home, make the white hem stripe smaller, and for the road, add a thin white stripe between the blue and red hem stripes.

Archived