Seattle Mariners Rebrand

raysox

I posted this on my Behance, but I felt like I should post it here too!

One of my least favorite brands in the MLB is the Seattle Mariners. I feel like their current brand is too cluttered with outlines, and doesn't represent a bold identity. This concept stems from an idea I've had for a while, adopt the color scheme the other pro teams in Seattle use. I was going for a bold refresh of a past identity, similar to the Houston Astros.

Mariners2016-01.pngMariners2016-02.pngMariners2016-03.pngMariners2016-04.pngMariners2016-05.png

1 hour ago, BenD said:

Are these supposed to be pullovers or just collar piping?

I see no buttons, so I'd take it that these are pullovers

I will say some things...first, some things.  :P All kidding aside, while I don't have any real nostalgia for the trident M, I did like it, and I like the color scheme used here.  Probably should've rethought the pullovers though, somebody might think you got hijacked by Phantom Dreamer :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Yeah, there was a poster by that name, a Mariners fan who was obsessed with the pullover era (granted, he kinda had a point about pullovers making baseballers look more athletic than traditional uniforms...about the only other athletes I can think of who play in buttoned shirts are golfers, bowlers and cricketers).  He got banned a while back because threads he posted in tended to devolve into tit-for-tat crap between him and whichever regular he was feuding with at the time, though I know he's taken his act elsewhere. 

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I really appreciate the craftsmanship of the concept (especially when it comes to the color scheme and font), and I think it's a fantastic piece of work for people who don't like the Mariners' current set. From within the context of the concept, my only suggestion would be to find a way to merge the trident and an "S" from your font to make a new cap logo. Well done!

However, I don't like it. I want to like it, but I don't. This might be because I think the Mariners currently have one of the top ten looks in baseball, but also because I think the 1977-92 identities were abysmal. There was nothing worth salvaging from that period (ugly logos, shoddy fonts, and a derrivative color scheme), and they were lucky to find such a brilliant look in 1993. Heck, I think you've made better Mariners concepts here before, like this one. If you want to rebrand the Mariners, move them forward instead of reviving something that should have been left behind decades ago.

Still, it's interesting to see fresh takes on older designs, and I think you've done that really well. Good work.

1 hour ago, Delayed Penalty said:

The kerning between the r and the i in Mariners is bothering me, especially right beside the space between the i and the n. Other than that I love everything!

Good call, I think what happened was I was fixing the kearning and did the wrong weight on the outline. Fixed.

But thank you everyone, I appreciate it.

I like the new look, feels a lot like the Everett Aquasox. The scripts bother me some, mostly the slope of the 't' and 'l' not matching in Seattle, similarly the second 'r' in Mariners doesn't feel very continuous with the rest of the script.

Can I buy those hats right now please?

I agree that the Mariners have one of the worst overall looks in baseball, especially the S/compass logo. Too much small detail crammed in that little compass, and their word marks have too many cluttered outlines. 

So I like the return of the trident/M here simply because anything is better than what they've been using for the last 20+ years, but these word marks need some cleaning up. Some of the small edges on the outlines could be smoother, and the tiny gaps between the white in lower 'S' in Seattle and the blue in the far right 'e' should be deleted.

Archived