rvrdgsfn

2017 NASCAR Season Thread

330 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, stumpygremlin said:

I don't follow this stuff closely enough. Kyle claimed that "that's how he races." Is this a common thing with Logano?

 

Also, if NASCAR were to determine that Logano dumped Busch intentionally (I don't think he necessarily did), could NASCAR put Busch in 3rd, which was where he was when spun?

Yes it is how he races. In the end he constantly gets too aggressive and runs out of talent and wrecks people. its why Jeff Gordon has tried to fight him. It is why Matt Kenseth took him out 2 years ago. It's why Denny Hamlin got wrecked and broke his back 3? Years ago in California. I'm sure there are more examples of people being upset with him that I'm missing, I remember his dad got banned because he tried fighting for his kid too. 

To answer your second question. No nascar never alters the results of races.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang I'm excited to see stage racing at the short tracks. It was good to see Blaney, Elliott, and Larson all have strong runs today, and I'm happy Truex was able to pick up a win. In my opinion, Busch and Logano were both aggressive, but I don't think anything was intentional; just racing. But, with that said, I definitely wouldn't be against a heated rivalry forming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's another angle of the altercation, shot by Jeff Gluck and his surprisingly-high-quality cell phone video:

 

Should be in one of those "Shot with an iPhone" commercials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Truex became the first driver in the segment era to sweep the whole shebang. Harvick shoulda, coulda, woulda did it last week; but decided to be "Leadfoot Larry" on the last pit stop.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So how is everyone feeling about segment races now? Last year, Harvick and Truex run away from the field all race then the checkers fall without much of an issue. This year it seems like they've had to fight for it a lot more, though the problems with Harvick last week and Kes this week may have happened in the previous format.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, raysox said:

So how is everyone feeling about segment races now? Last year, Harvick and Truex run away from the field all race then the checkers fall without much of an issue. This year it seems like they've had to fight for it a lot more, though the problems with Harvick last week and Kes this week may have happened in the previous format.

I'm enjoying it thus far. I think the biggest complaint at Daytona was that fans thought the stages caused too many wrecks, but that hasn't been an issue since. What I don't like about the current stage format is that the cautions after the stages count towards the next stage's laps, but other than that I'm a fan so far. I'm excited to see the stages at the road courses and short tracks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, PSUcelticsWON95 said:

I'm enjoying it thus far. I think the biggest complaint at Daytona was that fans thought the stages caused too many wrecks, but that hasn't been an issue since. What I don't like about the current stage format is that the cautions after the stages count towards the next stage's laps, but other than that I'm a fan so far. I'm excited to see the stages at the road courses and short tracks. 

 

I think Daytona and Talladega are going to be the outliers of stage racing. The Daytona 500 was unnecessarily aggressive; all things considered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm liking the stages so far. I'm also noticing a decline in debris cautions as well. Interesting...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm enjoying the stages. I like seeing the drivers actually driving for positions instead of just cruising on & on, hoping for the best. They know the points add up & could help them in the long run, especially if they want to be in the playoffs. I just hope when they get to Talladega it won't be too bad. Like the majority, consider me a fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thinks it's another gimmick that they are using to swing for the fences to get the younger crowd in. The only time you see anyone racing any harder at the end of a segment is if there is a caution prior to the finish because the field is bunched up. The caution kills the flow of the race. 

 

Similar to Kyle Busch winning the championship after missing 1/3 of the season, which is a farce. You could see a guy who finishes 20th every week make the playoffs (another silly gimmick) and be a championship contender because he's got a fast car for half a race. The point of a long enduring 500 mile race is lost. 

 

I use to watch NASCAR for the sport of it. Legit competition. I would have to re-train myself to watch it for the entertainment of it like any sitcom or reality show. 

 

And while I'm on a rant, NASCAR really lost sight of how to get the younger fans in. And it's not that hard. The secret is the old people! When you're a little kid, the only way to get to the track is by an older person! Many of the traditional NASCAR fans that use to bring the young people to the races just aren't going anymore because of the gimmicks and the young people don't get exposed and keep the cycle going. 

 

I'm not going to knock anyone that enjoys this format. It's just not for me. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you talking young people like 12 and under, which get in free to Xfinity and Truck races? Or young people as in the next wave of fans with purchasing power since the older generation is dying out or not relating? Just genuinely curious.

 

I think with Monster on board, they're aiming at the 18-30 crowd. I actually have been seeing some interest through friends and twitter, people who are getting interested because their Sundays now are empty and there is entertaining races on 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 35-40 year olds who were brought as 10 year olds being turned off aren't bringing a new generation of 10 year olds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And if you want to really make an impression, let the 12 and under in to Cup races. There is plenty of room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jc... said:

And if you want to really make an impression, let the 12 and under in to Cup races. There is plenty of room. 

 

I think this'll happen in the Cup Series eventually; it seems to be relatively successful in the Xfinity and Camping World Trucks.

 

And it would make sense for NASCAR to do this; to further their attempts to get the attention of the age groups under the age of 25ish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just gotta get the people back that are gone to bring the younger kids. 

 

I am 36 and so much has changed since I watched as a little kid.

 

- "Stock" bodies are gone. Which I could go on a whole other rant about which could get technical. 

-The variety of tracks is gone. How great would it be for a place like Las Vegas (or Kansas, or Chicago, or Kentucky, or Texas) to re-build into a 5/8 mile track with a stadium setup like Bristol. 

-The messing with the championship system for entertainment purposes and to be like other sports. 

-Classy television coverage. Darrell Waltrip and his buffoonery really hurts. Mike Joy is still good, but he can get sucked into the goofiness. Other than a couple Daytona 500's, you would have never known Dale Jarrett was the son of Ned Jarrett. Benny Parsons was goofy but lovable, and the same with Buddy Baker. Today there is a lot of treating the viewer like they have no knowledge. Which is fine to give little details, but not every week. Then there is the actual production of the race using too many tight shots and following the leader. 

-Race procedures. The Green White Checkered finish, while I understand everyone wants a green flag finish. Sometimes in sports, you just have to let the clock run out. Especially on plate tracks, I am sure car owners would love it didn't cost half a million bucks fighting for 20th place. The free pass. Not racing back to the caution is a good thing. Giving someone a free lap back is not. They should have to earn it. I am fine with the wave-around because there is a little penalty because you cannot pit. Racing shouldn't be easy. Which leads to double file restarts. Yes, I am probably the only one who doesn't like them. The lap cars should be on the inside and have a chance to earn their lap back. 

 

I am sure there is more that I forgot but you probably haven't read through it all anyways. 

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jc... said:

Just gotta get the people back that are gone to bring the younger kids. 

 

I am 36 and so much has changed since I watched as a little kid.

 

- "Stock" bodies are gone. Which I could go on a whole other rant about which could get technical. 

-The variety of tracks is gone. How great would it be for a place like Las Vegas (or Kansas, or Chicago, or Kentucky, or Texas) to re-build into a 5/8 mile track with a stadium setup like Bristol. 

-The messing with the championship system for entertainment purposes and to be like other sports. 

-Classy television coverage. Darrell Waltrip and his buffoonery really hurts. Mike Joy is still good, but he can get sucked into the goofiness. Other than a couple Daytona 500's, you would have never known Dale Jarrett was the son of Ned Jarrett. Benny Parsons was goofy but lovable, and the same with Buddy Baker. Today there is a lot of treating the viewer like they have no knowledge. Which is fine to give little details, but not every week. Then there is the actual production of the race using too many tight shots and following the leader. 

-Race procedures. The Green White Checkered finish, while I understand everyone wants a green flag finish. Sometimes in sports, you just have to let the clock run out. Especially on plate tracks, I am sure car owners would love it didn't cost half a million bucks fighting for 20th place. The free pass. Not racing back to the caution is a good thing. Giving someone a free lap back is not. They should have to earn it. I am fine with the wave-around because there is a little penalty because you cannot pit. Racing shouldn't be easy. Which leads to double file restarts. Yes, I am probably the only one who doesn't like them. The lap cars should be on the inside and have a chance to earn their lap back. 

 

I am sure there is more that I forgot but you probably haven't read through it all anyways. 

 

I'm not as old as you are . I'm 22 so I don't remember the real stock bodies but I share pretty much all of your sentiments. I was a huge fan as a kid. I got that from my grandpa and my dad. We went to Indianapolis every year to watch practice and qualifying and I loved it. NASCAR really started to lose me when they brought in the chase. It devalued most of the season and has since gotten worse. Winning a championship feels so cheap now. I have really soured on NASCAR over the years with all of the rules changes and the stupid stages this year are ridiculously gimmicky. I didn't even watch a race last year and only a few races each year for the last few years, even as a huge Jeff Gordon and JR fan. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Results from Phoenix

 

1. Newman

2. Larson

3. Kyle Busch

4. Stenhouse Jr.

5. Keselowski

6. Harvick

7.Suarez

8. Jones

9. Johnson

10. Hamlin

 

Stage 1 winner: Logano

Stage 2 winner: Elliott

 

I honestly think if Logano didn't  have that caution, Rowdy would've won. Larson almost spun out but held the car together. Lots of good racing all day IMO. Erik Jones drove his car like there was no tomorrow, same with Chase & Kyle Larson. Harvick & Hamlin had problems & came back as well but for Newman, talk about the right place at the right time.

 

Next up, the West Coast swing ends in Fontana. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was hilarious how Logano ruins Busch's day twice in a row because of course he does. Newman, Stenhouse, and Truex didn't pit for the GWC, and with Larson winning off pit road, I figured it'd be hard for any of those 4 to lose. Harvick won last year on no tires over Edwards. Good for Newman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a fan of The Dinger; wake me up when they get to Martinsville, Sonoma and Watkins Glen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now