2017 NHL Offseason

ninersdd

4 hours ago, worcat said:

I'll be highly surprised if Vegas doesn't trade up in the draft considering they will receive several picks from predraft trades for them to not select certain players. They should have a stockpile of picks to trade away.

But they need to fill out an entire organization. I'd be very surprised if they moved up at all. Maybe back into the first round by swapping their second round; I could definitely see that. If there's a great player at #3 or whatever, then teams will be that much more unlikely to give Vegas the pick.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at the Metro Division right now

Penguins, Capitals, Blue Jackets, and Rangers had the four best records in the conference. The Islanders missed the playoffs by one point. The Hurricanes would've been in the playoffs with a decent goalie who they just acquired, the Flyers moved from 13th to 2nd because that's fair, and the Devils just won the #1 overall pick. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 hours ago, Cosmic said:

But they need to fill out an entire organization. I'd be very surprised if they moved up at all. Maybe back into the first round by swapping their second round; I could definitely see that. If there's a great player at #3 or whatever, then teams will be that much more unlikely to give Vegas the pick.

Very aware that they need to fill out their org/farm system but they are going to get alot of deals from teams for them NOT to pick certain players. Vegas should have draft picks hand over fist. 

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

19 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Look at the Metro Division right now

Penguins, Capitals, Blue Jackets, and Rangers had the four best records in the conference. The Islanders missed the playoffs by one point. The Hurricanes would've been in the playoffs with a decent goalie who they just acquired, the Flyers moved from 13th to 2nd because that's fair, and the Devils just won the #1 overall pick. 

Hey, did you watch them this year? It was brutal being a fan of them. They need all the help they can get! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sabres-Rangers at CitiField is official. I stand by my previous statement:

This is an embarrassment.

I'm embarrassed.

Everyone who made this happen should be embarrassed.

12 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Sabres-Rangers at CitiField is official. I stand by my previous statement:

This is an embarrassment.

I'm embarrassed.

Everyone who made this happen should be embarrassed.

?

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

2 hours ago, 2001mark said:

?

The Sabres are the home team, even though it is in NYC. Basically Buffalo is giving the Rangers a free home game.

This is idiotic. If the Rangers want to be the effing home team for a WC, then MSG needs to give up a home date. I'm sick of seeing O6 teams catered to, at the expense of the other 24.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

55 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

The Sabres are the home team, even though it is in NYC. Basically Buffalo is giving the Rangers a free home game.

This is idiotic. If the Rangers want to be the effing home team for a WC, then MSG needs to give up a home date. I'm sick of seeing O6 teams catered to, at the expense of the other 18-20.

We can probably discard a few teams. :)

9 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

This is idiotic. If the Rangers want to be the effing home team for a WC, then MSG needs to give up a home date. I'm sick of seeing O6 teams catered to, at the expense of the other 24.

I see.  I wasn't sure if Queens was an Islanders market & having the 2 other NY state franchises playing in the Isles' backyard for a special event might've been fubar.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

3 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

I see.  I wasn't sure if Queens was an Islanders market & having the 2 other NY state franchises playing in the Isles' backyard for a special event might've been fubar.

That just adds another minor layer of idiocy, but is far from the brunt of it.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

The Rangers aren't allowed to give up a home game without risking the Garden's tax exempt status. So the league screws Buffalo by making them give up a home game and flips the bird to the Isles by having a Winter Classic on Long Island (and across the street from their possible future home!) and not inviting them. How can the NHL expect the Barclays people to respect the Islanders when the league pisses on them?

1 hour ago, cmm said:

The Rangers aren't allowed to give up a home game without risking the Garden's tax exempt status. So the league screws Buffalo by making them give up a home game and flips the bird to the Isles by having a Winter Classic on Long Island (and across the street from their possible future home!) and not inviting them. How can the NHL expect the Barclays people to respect the Islanders when the league pisses on them?

They don't expect the Barclay's people to respect them.  Also looks like Belmont might be the landing spot for the Isles if my sources are correct.

22 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I love college sports.  But the one thing I prefer about pro sports in schedule integrity.  Giving the Rangers an additional home game (and yourselves a road game) is the antithesis of that.

I know it's an 82-game schedule and 40/42 is probably not gong to make or break a season vs. 41/41 but playing the same number of games at home vs. on the road is a pretty basic staple of pro sports.  In theory, Rangers division rivals should be upset (and Sabres rivals happy) about this.  I guess it's not worth getting worked up over but it bugs me.  The Rangers should be the home team.  Or play the game in Buffalo.

Of course the NFL does this every year oversees based on who has the newer / more lucrative stadium.  And you can pick out about five or six teams that will never be the home team for one of those games.  Schedule integrity is usually intact, but money beats it out sometimes...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

So, which teams do you think should seriously consider taking the 8 skater option, in the expansion draft? I think they'll try a draft pick trade to add an extra blue-liner to the 7-3 option, first, but the ball is in Vegas' court.

Not accounting for said deals, I think Nashville and Anaheim are the only two who are a solid yes. Winnipeg and Colorado are maybes. Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be little doubt that Jagr will play another season. Assuming that; he only needs to skate in 57 games, to move past Howe, as all-time games played leader.

6 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

There seems to be little doubt that Jagr will play another season. Assuming that; he only needs to skate in 57 games, to move past Howe, as all-time games played leader.

... despite one lost lockout season, two other lockout-shortened seasons, and three years in the KHL. Pretty crazy.

1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

... despite one lost lockout season, two other lockout-shortened seasons, and three years in the KHL. Pretty crazy.

I guess that's a somewhat fair handicap, considering Howe's seasons ranged from 50 to 80 games, in addition to spending six seasons in the WHA. (I still wish they would count WHA stats)

55 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I guess that's a somewhat fair handicap, considering Howe's seasons ranged from 50 to 80 games, in addition to spending six seasons in the WHA. (I still wish they would count WHA stats)

I didn't know they didn't count the WHA stats. That makes a bit more sense, then. I know Jagr is old and all, but it still seemed a little easy for him to swoop in to #1 all-time.

Archived