2017 NHL Offseason

ninersdd

Drouin-Sergachev is a very fair trade in a vacuum, but now the Habs have lost their top trade chip and still do not have a first-line center. The Lightning needed another defenseman and they got exactly what they needed. Plus, Drouin seems a like a bit of a locker room cancer. Overall, I think TB wins this trade if Sergachev lives up to his potential.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is still surreal and weird that the next time we play an NHL season there will be a team called the Vegas Golden Knights.

Is this how you guys felt in the summer of 2000? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 minute ago, McCarthy said:

It is still surreal and weird that the next time we play an NHL season there will be a team called the Vegas Golden Knights.

The weirdness was already there at that point. Minnesota and Columbus weren't as strange of expansion options as Nashville was and Nashville had already played a few seasons by that point.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

57 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

55 minutes ago, CRichardson said:

The weirdness was already there at that point. Minnesota and Columbus weren't as strange of expansion options as Nashville was and Nashville had already played a few seasons by that point.

The weirdness for me was when Atlanta had a hockey team again.

The Canadiens, a team obsessed with having French-Canadian players, traded for a French-Canadian player. Folks, everyone in Montreal is racist!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Canadiens, a team obsessed with having French-Canadian players, traded for a French-Canadian player. Folks, everyone in Montreal is racist!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Yogd_fpko

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

So that map on the last page that we called "fan art" and "fan fiction" showed up in NHL.com's video explaining the Expansion Draft. Now the video looks like it was produced by SportsNet and probably some intern's mistake. This also could be filed under Only In The God Damn NHL. But still, the image somehow made it into an NHL sponsored video. (Video Link)

Again, we all know the facts and we know this league so we know how things work and how this could be messed up.... but still...

5944916a7c707_ScreenShot2017-06-16at7_17_51PM.thumb.png.cadacb522c3ab2093bb6f8d6662fdcd1.png

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Not even the NHL would make a map that ugly. That's some Pepe Silvia crap.

The league has made it pretty clear that there will not be expansion to Quebec City: potential ownership did everything the league asked of them and still lost to "not give the 32nd team to anyone." If we're lucky, Peter Karmanos will go to the Great Youth Hockey Program In The Sky and his kids will sell the team to Quebecor to get back the money he stole from their trust funds to pay Alexander Semin. The NHL will wait as long as it takes to give the last expansion spot to Seattle or get frustrated with Seattle's dithering and go to Portland. They'll never expand to Quebec.

But looking at that map, I do wish the league had simply flipped Nashville to the NASCAR Division (Atlanta fans like HedleyLamarr seem to have glommed onto the Perds anyway) and put Winnipeg in the Central in 2011. Maybe then we wouldn't have had the stupid alignment and matrix we have now.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Now the video looks like it was produced by SportsNet and probably some intern's mistake.

I could believe that; for what it's worth though, my theory is that said Sportsnet intern was salty about Quebec City not getting a team, so he made it real quick & put it in the video as a joke to spite the league... whatever the explaination, it's pretty funny that it snuck onto a league-sanctioned video. :P

3 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

So that map on the last page that we called "fan art" and "fan fiction" showed up in NHL.com's video explaining the Expansion Draft. Now the video looks like it was produced by SportsNet and probably some intern's mistake. This also could be filed under Only In The God Damn NHL. But still, the image somehow made it into an NHL sponsored video. (Video Link)

Again, we all know the facts and we know this league so we know how things work and how this could be messed up.... but still...

5944916a7c707_ScreenShot2017-06-16at7_17_51PM.thumb.png.cadacb522c3ab2093bb6f8d6662fdcd1.png

According to Reddit, it was from some French blog back in 2015 and someone just stuck a Vegas logo over where it previously said Las Vegas.

So yeah, laziness.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

full list of each team’s protected players:

ANAHEIM
Andrew Cogliano (F)
Ryan Getzlaf (F)
Ryan Kesler (F)
Corey Perry (F)
Rickard Rakell (F)
Jakob Silfverberg (F)
Antoine Vermette (F)
Kevin Bieksa (D)
Cam Fowler (D)
Hampus Lindholm (D)
John Gibson (G)

ARIZONA
Nick Cousins (F)
Anthony Duclair (F)
Jordan Martinook (F)
Tobias Rieder (F)
Oliver Ekman
-Larsson (D)
Alex Goligoski (D)
Connor Murphy (D)
Luke Schenn (D)
Chad Johnson (G)

BOSTON
David Backes (F)
Patrice Bergeron (F)
David Krejci (F)

Brad Marchand (F)
Riley Nash (F)
David Pastrnak (F)
Ryan Spooner (F)
Zdeno Chara (D)
Torey Krug (D)
Kevan Miller (D)
Tuukka Rask (G)

BUFFALO
Tyler Ennis (F)
Marcus Foligno (F)
Zemgus Girgensons (F)
Evander Kane (F)
Johan Larsson (F)
Ryan O’Reilly (F)
Kyle Okposo (F)
Nathan Beaulieu (D)
Jake McCabe (D)
Rasmus Ristolainen (D)
Robin Lehner (G)

CALGARY
Mikael Backlund (F)
Sam Bennett (F)
Micheal Ferland (F)
Michael Frolik (F)
Johnny Gaudreau (F)
Curtis Lazar (F)
Sean Monahan (F)
T.J. Brodie (D)
Mark Giordano (D)
Dougie Hamilton (D)
Mike Smith (G)

CAROLINA
Phillip Di Giuseppe (F)
Elias Lindholm (F)
Brock McGinn (F)
Victor Rask (F)
Jeff Skinner (F)
Jordan Staal (F)
Teuvo Teravainen (F)
Trevor Carrick (D)
Justin Faulk (D)
Ryan Murphy (D)
Scott Darling (G)

CHICAGO
Artem Anisimov (F)
Ryan Hartman (F)
Marian Hossa (F)
Tomas Jurco (F)
Patrick Kane (F)
Richard Panik (F)
Jonathan Toews (F)
Niklas Hjalmarsson (D)
Duncan Keith (D)
Brent Seabrook (D)
Corey Crawford (G)

COLORADO
Sven Andrighetto (F)
Blake Comeau (F)
Matt Duchene (F)
Rocco Grimaldi (F)
Gabriel Landeskog (F)
Nathan MacKinnon (F)
Matt Nieto (F)
Tyson Barrie (D)
Erik Johnson (D)
Nikita Zadorov (D)
Semyon Varlamov (G)

COLUMBUS
Cam Atkinson (F)
Brandon Dubinsky (F)
Nick Foligno (F)
Scott Hartnell (F)
Boone Jenner (F)
Brandon Saad (F)
Alexander Wennberg (F)
Seth Jones (D)
Ryan Murray (D)
David Savard (D)
Sergei Bobrovsky (G)

DALLAS
Jamie Benn (F)
Radek Faksa (F)
Valeri Nichushkin (F)
Brett Ritchie (F)
Antoine Roussel (F)
Tyler Seguin (F)
Jason Spezza (F)
Stephen Johns (D)
John Klingberg (D)
Esa Lindell (D)
Ben Bishop (G)

DETROIT
Justin Abdelkader (F)
Andreas Athanasiou (F)
Anthony Mantha (F)
Frans Nielsen (F)
Gustav Nyquist (F)
Tomas Tatar (F)
Henrik Zetterberg (F)
Danny DeKeyser (D)
Mike Green (D)
Nick Jensen (D)
Jimmy Howard (G)

EDMONTON
Leon Draisaitl (F)
Jordan Eberle (F)
Zack Kassian (F)
Mark Letestu (F)
Milan Lucic (F)
Patrick Maroon (F)
Ryan Nugent
-Hopkins (F)
Oscar Klefbom (D)
Adam Larsson (D)
Andrej Sekera (D)
Cam Talbot (G)

FLORIDA
Aleksander Barkov (F)
Nick Bjugstad (F)
Jonathan Huberdeau (F)
Vincent Trocheck (F)
Aaron Ekblad (D)
Alex Petrovic (D)
Mark Pysyk (D)
Keith Yandle (D)
James Reimer (G)

LOS ANGELES
Jeff Carter (F)
Anze Kopitar (F)
Tanner Pearson (F)
Tyler Toffoli (F)
Drew Doughty (D)
Derek Forbort (D)
Alec Martinez (D)
Jake Muzzin (D)
Jonathan Quick (G)

MINNESOTA
Charlie Coyle (F)
Mikael Granlund (F)
Mikko Koivu (F)
Nino Niederreiter (F)
Zach Parise (F)
Jason Pominville (F)
Jason Zucker (F)
Jonas Brodin (D)
Jared Spurgeon (D)
Ryan Suter (D)
Devan Dubnyk (G)

MONTREAL
Paul Byron (F)
Phillip Danault (F)
Jonathan Drouin (F)
Alex Galchenyuk (F)
Brendan Gallagher (F)
Max Pacioretty (F)
Andrew Shaw (F)
Jordie Benn (D)
Jeff Petry (D)
Shea Weber (D)
Carey Price (G)

NASHVILLE
Viktor Arvidsson (F)
Filip Forsberg (F)
Calle Jarnkrok (F)
Ryan Johansen (F)
Mattias Ekholm (D)
Ryan Ellis (D)
Roman Josi (D)
P.K. Subban (D)
Pekka Rinne (G)

NEW JERSEY
Taylor Hall (F)
Adam Henrique (F)
Kyle Palmieri (F)
Travis Zajac (F)
Andy Greene (D)
John Moore (D)
Mirco Mueller (D)
Damon Severson (D)
Cory Schneider (G)

NY ISLANDERS
Andrew Ladd (F)
Anders Lee (F)
John Tavares (F)
Johnny Boychuk (D)
Travis Hamonic (D)
Nick Leddy (D)
Adam Pelech (D)
Ryan Pulock (D)
Thomas Greiss (G)

NY RANGERS
Kevin Hayes (F)
Chris Kreider (F)
J.T. Miller (F)
Rick Nash (F)
Derek Stepan (F)
Mika Zibanejad (F)
Mats Zuccarello (F)
Nick Holden (D)
Ryan McDonagh (D)
Marc Staal (D)
Henrik Lundqvist (G)

OTTAWA
Derick Brassard (F)
Ryan Dzingel (F)
Mike Hoffman (F)
Jean
-Gabriel Pageau (F)
Zack Smith (F)
Mark Stone (F)
Kyle Turris (F)
Cody Ceci (D)
Erik Karlsson (D)
Dion Phaneuf (D)
Craig Anderson (G)

PHILADELPHIA
Sean Couturier (F)
Valtteri Filppula (F)
Claude Giroux (F)
Scott Laughton (F)
Brayden Schenn (F)
Wayne Simmonds (F)
Jakub Voracek (F)
Shayne Gostisbehere (D)
Radko Gudas (D)
Brandon Manning (D)
Anthony Stolarz (G)     

PITTSBURGH
Sidney Crosby (F)
Patric Hornqvist (F)
Phil Kessel (F)
Evgeni Malkin (F)
Brian Dumoulin (D)
Kris Letang (D)
Olli Maatta (D)
Justin Schultz (D)
Matt Murray (G)

SAN JOSE
Ryan Carpenter (F)
Logan Couture (F)
Jannik Hansen (F)
Tomas Hertl (F)
Melker Karlsson (F)
Joe Pavelski (F)
Chris Tierney (F)
Justin Braun (D)
Brent Burns (D)
Marc-Edouard Vlasic (D)
Martin Jones (G)

ST. LOUIS
Patrik Berglund (F)
Ryan Reaves (F)
Jaden Schwartz (F)
Vladimir Sobotka (F)
Paul Stastny (F)
Alexander Steen (F)
Vladimir Tarasenko (F)
Jay Bouwmeester (D)
Joel Edmundson (D)
Alex Pietrangelo (D)
Jake Allen (G)

TAMPA BAY
Ryan Callahan (F)
Tyler Johnson (F)
Alex Killorn (F)
Nikita Kucherov (F)
Vladislav Namestnikov (F)
Ondrej Palat (F)
Steven Stamkos (F)
Braydon Coburn (D)
Victor Hedman (D)
Anton Stralman (D)
Andrei Vasilevskiy (G)

TORONTO
Tyler Bozak (F)
Connor Brown (F)
Nazem Kadri (F)
Leo Komarov (F)
Josh Leivo (F)
Matt Martin (F)
James van Riemsdyk (F)
Connor Carrick (D)
Jake Gardiner (D)
Morgan Rielly (D)
Frederik Andersen (G)

VANCOUVER
Sven Baertschi (F)
Loui Eriksson (F)
Markus Granlund (F)
Bo Horvat (F)
Daniel Sedin (F)
Henrik Sedin (F)
Brandon Sutter (F)
Alexander Edler (D)
Erik Gudbranson (D)
Christopher Tanev (D)
Jacob Markstrom (G)

WASHINGTON
Nicklas Backstrom (F)
Andre Burakovsky (F)
Lars Eller (F)
Marcus Johansson (F)
Evgeny Kuznetsov (F)
Alex Ovechkin (F)
Tom Wilson (F)
John Carlson (D)
Matt Niskanen (D)
Dmitry Orlov (D)
Braden Holtby (G)

WINNIPEG
Joel Armia (F)
Andrew Copp (F)
Bryan Little (F)
Adam Lowry (F)
Mathieu Perreault (F)
Mark Scheifele (F)
Blake Wheeler (F)
Dustin Byfuglien (D)
Tyler Myers (D)
Jacob Trouba (D)
Connor Hellebuyck (G)

hvmY186.png

I'm Interested to see what Vegas does with the goaltender situation. Fleury, Raanta, Grubauer, Mrazek, Miller, Elliott even Halak, Luongo and Pickard all for the picking. From my understanding they can pick more than three and if they take more than two NHL goalies there's likely going to be another trade in the works.

Biggest unprotected names-

Marc-Andre Fleury

Jaromir Jagr

Patrick Sharp

Eric Staal

TJ Oshie

I'm very surprised that Oshie wasn't protected... It might have something to do with the Caps contracts, but that one really stunned me when I saw it...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

22 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

I'm very surprised that Oshie wasn't protected... It might have something to do with the Caps contracts, but that one really stunned me when I saw it...

I believe Oshie's a UFA. Vegas has a window to negotiate and sign UFA's but if they dont they have to draft a contracted player, so they cant directly draft a UFA from what I understand. Meaning Oshie wont go to Vegas unless he wants to go to Vegas.

Oshie is a free agent, I believe.  And it doesn't really make much sense to protect a player that's about to hit free agency unless you're absolutely sure that you can trade his rights before July 1 or can re-sign them.

Now don't put too much stock in all these exposed players being 100% free for the taking.  There's going to be a lot of side deals and wink-wink arrangements between Vegas and these teams.  Vegas needs to fill out not just an NHL roster, but two minor league teams and a pool of prospects that'll be playing in Europe or Canada or college this season.  They have to turn these 30 gift players into about 50-55 players, if not more.

For example, Columbus seems to have an agreement in place where they'll send their first round pick for 2017, a prospect, and for Vegas to take one of three players in exchange for not taking one of their exposed players.  That's turning one player into three.  There's going to be other side deals before the expansion draft, as well as teams making trades with Vegas if they take one of these exposed players....like, say Winnipeg wants the exposed Eric Staal.  Vegas selects Staal from Minnesota's pool, then trades him to Winnipeg for picks or prospects.

Vegas needs players, and more specifically, younger players.  I remember the Thrashers acquiring a ton of picks from their expansion draft season.  Vegas isn't looking to compete in '17-'18....they're five years down the road.  Except the lone difference is that they have to reach their established salary basement (and can't do so in the way of buyouts until next summer).  That's what will make this week so fascinating, I think.  Folks think Fleury is going to be Vegas's opening night goalie....I think he gets flipped while his value is at its highest.  There's a team that's on the verge of Cup contention or wanting to break through to make the playoffs that'll send quite a haul to Vegas if they can get Fleury and/or  another key asset.

28 minutes ago, TorinK92 said:

I believe Oshie's a UFA. Vegas has a window to negotiate and sign UFA's but if they dont they have to draft a contracted player, so they cant directly draft a UFA from what I understand. Meaning Oshie wont go to Vegas unless he wants to go to Vegas.

I think the way it works out is....Vegas can start negotiating (or maybe even signing) UFA's now.  But if they do sign that player, that's the player they take from that team's exposed list.  So if they have a contract agreement with Oshie, Oshie will be the player Vegas takes from the Capitals.

1 hour ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Las Vegas might've also found their best goaltending option in the way of the Red Wings exposing Petr Mrazek, which makes absolutely no g-ddamned sense except for that Ken Holland has really lost a lot of his luster in Detroit over the past 7-8 years. 

Holland had to protect Jimmy Howard because of his modified no-trade clause. As simple as that.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 0:37 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

Drouin for Sergachev is probably going to be a Win-Win Trade. Drouin is probably going to be a solid winger for the Habs, especially if he plays with Patches. Sergachev gives the Bolts a young defenseman & this trade helps both sides when it comes to covering players for the expansion draft. Smart move, in fact. 

True Lightning fans know this is a good trade for the team, but good luck telling that the vast majority of fans flipping out on social media.

Yzerman had a $$$ in mind for Drouin and assumed he would sign, but apparently Drouin had Kucherov $$$ in mind when he hasn't played 2 full seasons.  He's the kind of player when he's on your team you like him, but knowing he's a little bit of a prima donna (see his playing hiatus of 2015-16) I am glad we free'd up a spot by moving him and getting a solid, salary controllable defenseman in return.

Archived