Vintage Getty, SI and other NFL photos

14 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

157293fc6c0ed6931e730ade35ed8841.jpg

It's funny, if we were to see a fan wearing a jersey nowadays with numbers that looked like that we'd immediately point out how bad of a counterfeit it is.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This reminded me that I posted the thread "Treasure Trove of Old NFL Pics" in 2010. Most of my photo links in that thread are dead now but they were the work of David Boss. You can go here and click "View Collection" to see 51 pages of NFL glory. Sadly, most are in b/w. Here are a few of my favorites:

File under "Unis I Didn't Know Existed."

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 8.28.45 AM.png

Pacific Blue Chargers

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 8.39.33 AM.png

Blue/white Rams

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 8.40.09 AM.png

Billy Kilmer and Charlton Heston, who played a Saints QB in the movie Number One

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 8.41.15 AM.png

No, really.

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 8.57.41 AM.png

Somehow I don't think Roman Gabriel was one to whine if no flag was thrown for roughing the passer.

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 8.41.52 AM.png

Absolutely love this pic - the unis, the slight blur of action, Merlin Olsen and Jim Brown - this is the essence of the NFL in the '60s.

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 8.43.11 AM.png

Tommy McDonald, the last active player without a facemask.

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 8.43.33 AM.png

On another note, is there no way to preview a post? What am I missing?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

1 hour ago, DouglasQuaid said:

I wish the redskins would go back to this more simplistic look, think how great it would be against the giants current away uniiforms.

Well, considering that's pretty much the Giants' current away uniform in the photo...

On 6/27/2017 at 10:32 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

This is indeed a great shot for so many reasons, especially the uniforms.

But what is weird is that the gold in the Saints' numbers seems to disappear at a distance.  The players on the sidelines all appear to have solid white numbers.

Dude, good eye. The numbers do look white from a distance. Guess maybe the outline was too thick...it sure looks right when you're closer to the action, though.

10 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

be0ff70b60dc3c7e3590b0c5fc2aac7d.jpg

It never registered with me that the Broncos' old helmet stripes were white/(color)/white like the '68 Saints tried, or that the pants stripe doesn't match. 

44 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

It never registered with me that the Broncos' old helmet stripes were white/(color)/white like the '68 Saints tried, or that the pants stripe doesn't match. 

Actually, at one time that was a fairly common helmet stripe design, especially for dark helmets;

vannote_bio.jpg

Chuck_Ealey_Retro3352.jpg

j

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Actually, at one time that was a fairly common helmet stripe design, especially for dark helmets;

Chuck_Ealey_Retro3352.jpg

j

Makes senses aesthetically if the point is to make the team color stand out against anything but a white shell. Pet peeve alert - I despise weirdly low logo placement like that shown above, or these abominations from some dark segment of Packer history:

1985PACKERS-Ellerson.JPG

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

At the risk of being annoying, 4 more great late 60's Vikings shots.  The old Met was an amazing wreck.

football-nfl-championship-minnesota-viki

football-nfl-playoffs-minnesota-vikings-

football-minnesota-vikings-qb-joe-kapp-i

Annoying? No way. These are three spectacular examples of greatness we seldom see much of any longer. Guys playing in the elements on a natural field that hasn't received better care than the citizens of most Third World nations, the resultant muddy uniforms, and quarterbacks being treated as if they're like any other player.   

On 6/27/2017 at 10:14 AM, leopard88 said:

Is it weird that one of the things that fascinates me about this photo is that Toyota still uses the same wordmark font today . . . 50 years later?

I was going to say that I was surprised to see a Toyota advertisement at a 1967 football game. I know they entered the US market in the late 1950s, but the late '60s-early '70s is the peak of the American muscle car - not Toyota sedans. It just seems way too early.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

19 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

I was going to say that I was surprised to see a Toyota advertisement at a 1967 football game. I know they entered the US market in the late 1950s, but the late '60s-early '70s is the peak of the American muscle car - not Toyota sedans. It just seems way too early.

I had that thought as well.  My parents bought a Corolla in 1972, but the late 60s hardly seems like the Toyota era.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The classic Chuck Bednarik shot after knocking out Frank Gifford (via time.com).

IMG_2366.JPG

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Great thread ?

While I've never been to Minnesota, to watch a late season game from old Metopolitan Stadium on TV was a great experience as a kid.  Nothing beats football in the cold, mud and snow.  ??

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

2 hours ago, Mitch B said:

Great thread ?

While I've never been to Minnesota, to watch a late season game from old Metopolitan Stadium on TV was a great experience as a kid.  Nothing beats football in the cold, mud and snow.  ??

...especially when you're warm and cozy inside. I don't know if that's schadenfreude there or just a creature comfort, but there's something cool (no pun intended) about watching a cold game from a warm house.

12 hours ago, leopard88 said:

I had that thought as well.  My parents bought a Corolla in 1972, but the late 60s hardly seems like the Toyota era.

The smaller Japanese (and other foreign) cars had been sold (and advertised) in America since the early 60s, but back then something "made in Japan" was seen as cheap and cheaply made, a knock-off of American technology. Their sales really didn't take off until the 1st oil embargo- with resulting scarcity of gas and inflation of gas prices-- in 1973. People starting buying them for their gas economy, but soon realized they were well-made, durable cars (often better quality than what Detroit was putting out at the time).

After that, things were never the same...

It is what it is.

Archived