dfwabel

Football and CTE

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

This kind of implies that the other kids are participating of their own free will.  But do 7-year-olds even have free will?  It's a parent's job to protect them from dangerous choices like playing football.  Kids that age watch their NFL team play every week and then want to play themselves.  I don't think telling a kid that age "well, football has long-term consequences that could impact quality of life when you're an adult...but the choice is yours" is effectively protecting the kid from danger.  Kids don't think of the future that way.  They barely even recognize they'll ever be "super old," like 30 years old.

In short, a 7-year-old is under the age of consent...or at least should be.

We can debate whether the phrase "child abuse" applies, but I honestly don't think putting the choice on a kid ill-equipped to make that choice is a lot better than forcing them.   

I'm somewhat sensitized to this perhaps as when I was a kid it wasn't at all uncommon to get my ass whipped by my father's 42 inch belt wherever he happened to connect with it, or because I got my upper jaw cracked by his repeated left hooks at the age of 13.  But I think as a term "child abuse" sometimes gets tossed around more than a coin before a football game, often where I don't think it at all fits.

Is it ill advised of a parent to let their 7 year old play tackle football?  Perhaps.  That's an argument I can readily see either side of.  Does it qualify as child abuse to let them play though?  No.  Not even close.  Abuse is deliberate and with intent, or at the very minimum wanton neglect.  Johnny wanting to play football at 7 is a judgment call; it might be a bad one, but it's a judgment call for the parent.

37 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

Johnny wanting to play football at 7 is a judgment call; it might be a bad one, but it's a judgment call for the parent.

It really ought not to be. 

15 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It really ought not to be. 

Okay, but that's a slippery slope argument in that at what point do you draw that line, and who are you or I to draw it?  It ranks up there with at what age can parents leave their kid home alone, or the law that states a kid has to be 8 years old or weigh 80 pounds to not require some form of booster seat while riding in a car.  It's arbitrary, as every kid is different.  I'm not saying you're wrong; I wouldn't let my kids play tackle football at all (yet I did).  I'm just wondering where that arbitrary line gets drawn.  Is it 18?  Is it 21?  Is it 14 if the kid's 6'5", weighs 300 pounds and can bench-press a Buick?

It's not a slippery slope at all.  We set these kinds of limits all the time.  In my state, kids can't sit in the front seat until they're 12, because it's too dangerous.  Kids can't drink alcohol until 21.  It's illegal to sell cigarettes to anyone under the age of 18.  Nobody worried about the slippery slope there.

We as a society should take a look at the science and go from there.  The article indicates that some states already are:

Football is already facing a reckoning. Lawmakers in New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Illinois, and California recently proposed legislation that would prohibit tackling in their states below the ages of 12, 13, and 14.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I don't see anything wrong with that (setting an age limit)

I would like to see Texas do that, but they probably won't. I am looking at that article I posted on the last page, and it is sad. This guy is telling eight year olds to practice full throttle and be tougher. Several families took their kids out of the program because of that letter (and they were scared of repercussions, including the guy that e-mailed Rick Reilly).

Heck, in that same Frisco, TX league, a coach was caught telling his eight year olds to hit someone in the face the year before.

Those kids are Junior High age now. If those same kids that quit football (because of that letter) are still not playing today, I wonder if they are taking abuse from other students.

17 hours ago, Gothamite said:

It's not a slippery slope at all.  We set these kinds of limits all the time.  In my state, kids can't sit in the front seat until they're 12, because it's too dangerous.  Kids can't drink alcohol until 21.  It's illegal to sell cigarettes to anyone under the age of 18.  Nobody worried about the slippery slope there.

We as a society should take a look at the science and go from there.  The article indicates that some states already are:

I don't see anything wrong with that.

The Illinois bill died.  Arguments were a combination of "the important character values of playing football, concern trolling over not knowing how to tackle in high school (and increasing the risk to life and limb), and a lack of realization that your average JFL coach probably has more in common with John McGuirk from the Home Movies cartoon than say Vince Lombardi."

6 hours ago, rams80 said:

The Illinois bill died. 

Well, damn. 

I have to have a little more faith in California and New York.  That's a lot of kids than can be protected from the likes of that insane Camron Miller.