infrared41's Best and Worst 2017 - NFL Week One

infrared41

Back for another season of weekly best and worst lists that are sure to please a few people, infuriate a few people, and be ignored by whole bunch of people. The lists are just for fun and they're just my opinion. Your opinion is always welcome.

A couple quick notes before we get started. Barring a particularly horrific match up, Color Rush games are not going to be eligible for a spot on the weekly worst list. Based on what we've seen in two years of Color Rush games, it's probably safe to say that the majority of the Color Rush games are going to look bad. I think including CR games on the worst list is too easy and a little lazy. 

We're running very late this week. Normally, I try to post the lists no later than Tuesday morning, but I have family down in Florida so I was a little preoccupied with Hurricane Irma. 

With that, let's get the show on the road. Put 60 seconds on the clock and let's play our game. 

Week one wasn't exactly a great start to the season, but we still got a few good looking match ups and a few not so good looking match ups. 

Best:

1. Philadelphia - Washington: Picking the game for the top spot this week was a tough call. In the end, Philly's all white look was the difference, but it was close. For those of you who are Best and Worst "regulars", I think the Eagles are going to be this season's "improvement through attrition" team. Good looking match up in a rather lackluster week.

Fu4u7td.jpg

2. Panthers - 49ers: There are probably going to be some people who say this game should have taken the top spot. I wouldn't argue with them too much. This was a really good looking match up too, but I liked Philly - Washington just a tad better. 

SqjENxG.jpg

3. Giants - Cowboys: Mismatched colors, blah...blah...blah...it's still a good looking match up between two classic looks. 

MRy98lP.jpg

4. Jets - Bills: This game would have taken the top spot if the Jets had gone with all white. The white over green look is pretty solid, but I prefer the all white. I've said it before, but the Bills should be page one in the great book of "This is How You Update a Uniform."

5GmYs1C.jpg

5. Raiders - Titans: Normally, I'm not a big fan of the Titans navy pant, but they looked pretty solid matched up against the classic Raiders uniforms. If the Titans had gone with the light blue pants, this game would have been in the running for the top spot. 

MrWb5NO.jpg

6. Steelers - Browns: The Browns current look ain't great, but there are a couple combos that I think look pretty good under the right circumstances. The all white combo in the sunshine matched up with the Steelers is one of those circumstances. 

63rBBly.jpg

Worst:

1. Falcons - Bears: The Bears making a very rare appearance on the worst list. The mono-blue is awful. It's even worse when it's paired with those boring, dated Falcons uniforms. 

9U54RtA.jpg

2. Chargers - Broncos: What happens when you chase uniform trends? This does. The Broncos Color Rush uniforms are a very nice start to a much needed update. The Chargers just need to go back to any uniform prior to this current set. 

Nq0D0c9.jpg

3. The Los Angeles Rams: Anyone that knows me around here knows that I am a big fan of the Rams late 60's - early 70's era blue and white uniforms. When I heard that the Rams were going with the blue and white helmets and pants, I thought that just maybe the little bit of gold left over wouldn't be enough to screw up the look. Wow, was I wrong. Hard to believe how much that little bit of gold screws up the balance of this uniform. It's not awful, it just looks like the team is wearing two different uniforms - because it is. 

LQz1E8o.jpgjID4WWK.jpg

That's it for this week. We'll reset and do it (on time) again next week. Thanks for taking a look. 

BB52Big.jpg

25 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Worst:

1. Falcons - Bears

Got what I came for. White socks with dark jerseys and dark pants, what the hell. They looked like the joke they really are.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Jets should be given a grace period for wearing their green pants... the greens actually match now! It's nice to see a little more green from them now. 

Speaking of the Jets... I thought this was interesting. Apparently, someone on the Jets website wants the old green to come back as much as some of us do. The first picture is from Buffalo's website. The second picture is from the Jets website. Maybe it's just me. but it sure looks like the second picture had the color adjusted a little bit. 

pOpPmVY.jpg

Rn91UvR.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Bills - Jets are my top pick.

I don't understand the hate for the Chargers current uniforms. This isn't a shot at you, @infrared41. If anything, your opinion seems to be the popular one here. I just never understood why. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

8 hours ago, Chawls said:

I don't understand the hate for the Chargers current uniforms. This isn't a shot at you, @infrared41. If anything, your opinion seems to be the popular one here. I just never understood why. 

The dash of powder blue + yellow often makes green to my eyes, but I do think the hate for them is a little overblown. Again, not just infrared... in general.

8 hours ago, Chawls said:

I don't hate the Chargers current uniforms. In fact, the Chargers have made the best list a couple times over the years. I just think any Chargers set prior to the current set is much, much better. The current set is a real snapshot of its time and it doesn't hold up well at all. 

BB52Big.jpg

9 hours ago, Heitert said:

Forest or Kelly Green, I still think the jets have some of the best uniforms in the league. Especially when wearing the green pants on the road. 

I agree...right up to "especially when wearing green pants." The Jets are in my top ten of NFL uniforms. The green pants aren't bad and can look great in the right match ups, but I like the all white look a lot better. I'll admit the all white is a bit of a nostalgia thing for me. It reminds me of the Joe Namath Jets. (Yeah, I'm old enough to have seen the Namath Jets. B)

BB52Big.jpg

13 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

I agree...right up to "especially when wearing green pants." The Jets are in my top ten of NFL uniforms. The green pants aren't bad and can look great in the right match ups, but I like the all white look a lot better. I'll admit the all white is a bit of a nostalgia thing for me. It reminds me of the Joe Namath Jets. (Yeah, I'm old enough to have seen the Namath Jets. B)

There aren't many of us around here, brother.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Bills-Jets would've absolutely been the best matchup of the week had the Jets not stupidly gone with those green pants. I wish those pants would burn, in all honesty.

This was a pretty bad week, all in all. Kills me how Steelers-Browns used to be such a classic uniform matchup, and now... not at all.

16 hours ago, Chawls said:

I don't understand the hate for the Chargers current uniforms.

Thin cyan next to thin yellow looks sort of green, and I think a lot of folks are burned out on Agency. I wouldn't even call it hate. We hate the Thunder. The Chargers are just mildly frustrating because they could go in several directions and look better than they do.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived