US Open (tennis) introduces new logo for their 50th!

EvilChameleon

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2018-03-20/2018-03-20_new_logo_unveiled_for_50th_anniversary_of_us_open.html

In celebration of the 50th anniversary of the US Open, the USTA has introduced a new logo for the event, designed to launch America’s Grand Slam toward its next 50 years.

The logo, created by renowned graphic design firm Chermayeff & Geismar & Haviv, is a streamlined and modernized version of the tournament’s iconic flaming ball logo, which was first introduced in 1997. This new logo was designed to create a visual identity for the tournament that will last far into the future.

Cleveland sports for life!
"Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind." -The Doctor

49 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

That little movie was kind of weird... "We're gonna drop in on Mahatta...sike! We're going to Queens!"

And then at the end, "we're going to focus in on Arthur Ashe Stadium... actually let's go out to Nassau County and fade to a blur!"

Strange... and that logo could not look more generic if it tried. Downgrade, TBH.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that us open is a package delivering company with that logo... 

And apparently, a lowercase u and an s means the United States, and not you and me

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Somehow still better than the Australian Open, which could be  a logo for literally anything.  Wimbledon is unreachable, but they should probably just go the Roland Garros route and try to copy that. In fact I would mind if all of the Grand Slam tournaments were standardized to roundels. Still, use  capital letters and it would be undeniably an upgrade

07Giants.pngnyy.png

The lowercase letters make it look like a credit card or airline, but I really like the icon.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Looks like they caught the lowercase fad a few years late and the swooshing ball has been done. ie Magic, Suns, Dodgers, Canadian Soccer League, Kansas Wizards and the old Montreal Impact logo to mention a few.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

I'd call it a lateral move, but only because there is so much wrong with the old one.

New -- lower case wordmark, alleged flaming tennis ball that doesn't really look like a tennis ball.

Old -- gradient in the yellow, 90s swoosh and (I don't know how I never noticed this before, but I can't unsee it) flames that go in the opposite direction from the motion implied by the swoosh.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

2 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

I'd call it a lateral move, but only because there is so much wrong with the old one.

New -- lower case wordmark, alleged flaming tennis ball that doesn't really look like a tennis ball.

Old -- gradient in the yellow, 90s swoosh and (I don't know how I never noticed this before, but I can't unsee it) flames that go in the opposite direction from the motion implied by the swoosh.

The flames and swoosh being opposites (emphasis yours) are what really ruin the now-old logo. With just the flame, it's stuck in the nineties, but acceptable. With just the swoosh, it's a little corporate, but acceptable. With both fighting each other, it's needed a change since the day they unveiled it.

The new one is... Acceptable. Lowercase is a weird choice, and it somehow already looks outdated. But at least we know which way the ball is going.

Archived