Canadian Premier League

steve61

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Scratcher said:

Cavalry Football Club. What a horrible name. Could at least be the Calgary Cavalry (FC).

You just added the city name to it? I don't see the difference. (honestly, not trying to be a jerk, just trying to understand where you are coming from)

Cavalry FC

Calgary Cavalry FC 

Now that I write it out, I actually think adding Calgary is too "wordy". 

To @monkeypower's point it is very different that there are 3 versions of the logo all with completely different colours. Looks like the green will be the focus though based on what I'm seeing on social media.

But I really like the name and logo. Considering where they playing I think it's a cool identity 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

40 minutes ago, Pharos04 said:

Is no one going to point out that the C in Cavalry is a horseshoe?

...you just did :) 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

It's a new league, who has as one of its goals is to make football/soccer more popular in the country.

Cavalry FC doesn't mean anything to me. Not even related of what I know about Calgary.
So I don't know if it will mean much even in Calgary. (I could completely be wrong though)

To me it just sounds a very bad name.

- hey, seen that there's a new soccer league around?

- oh yea? who's playing?
- york9 against cavalry

18 hours ago, nas1787 said:

First, it's Cavalry, not Calvary. Those are two very different things.

Calgary Cavalry is an awful name, Cavalry FC is unique and interesting. 

The crest was designed by Jon Rogers, who you may know as one of the hosts of the Footy Soldiers podcast. Here is some of his excellent design work: https://www.flickr.com/photos/112145297@N03/ 

I think this is bound to be one of the best CanPL identities.

DdbtiTDXcAIlM8E.jpg:large

No disrespect to the designer....as I know often times these things get squandered in a committee...but this just looks lazy. It's clip-artistic to an "nth" degree. It looks like 2 items from Flaticons.com pieced together. 

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

The kerning is terrible.

Also, I'm sure it's not, but my mind keeps seeing the chevron being slightly off-center; the point looks slightly off to the right.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

23 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I don't mind the Calvary logo (er, crest), but I feel it's a bit boring just being one colour and I think they could have fit all three colours in there somewhere. However, the logo on Twitter is white with green writing but the logo on their website is green with white writing (both seen in Steve61's post above) and the logo shown in the stadium render is red with white writing, so I could see it being the case where the logo changes colour depending on the background it is on.

From their website about the colours of "Army Green", "Calgary Red" and "Black on Black". (I understand all these sports teams want their colours to be named something, but Black on Black is pretty dumb).

(For the unaware, Spruce Meadows is horse jumping/equestrian facility in Calgary, or technically just outside of city limits I believe, which is relatively world renown in the equestrian world from what I understand and it's where the stadium is going to be. The Spruce Meadows owners are the people owning the team.)

Calgary Cavalry is a mouthful to say. I think they might made the choice to go with one of those names and not both for that reason.

Though I do feel the name Calvary FC is going to lead to the inevitable calling of the team "Calgary FC" by people who mishear the name or just plain think the team's name is "Calgary FC"

Lots of negativity on this league and its branding.  Honestly a bit surprised but probably shouldn't be.  

edit: didn't mean to reply to this post

zzPEfBm.png

12 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Is the Cavalry a Portland Timbers' lower division team? 

I actually prefer this to the Timbers both in colour and design.  Especially the first clunky incarnation of the MLS Timbers.  

zzPEfBm.png

8 hours ago, Scratcher said:

It's a new league, who has as one of its goals is to make football/soccer more popular in the country.

Cavalry FC doesn't mean anything to me. Not even related of what I know about Calgary.
So I don't know if it will mean much even in Calgary. (I could completely be wrong though)

To me it just sounds a very bad name.

- hey, seen that there's a new soccer league around?

- oh yea? who's playing?
- york9 against cavalry

What do you know about Calgary then? How does an identity which evokes both the military and cowboy culture not scream Calgary?

2 minutes ago, Section30 said:

I actually really like this. The only thing I'd change is either eliminate the anchor at the bottom or make it more prominent, other than that I'd say this is easily the best logo in the league so far.

I don't completely hate the concept but the execution seems a bit off.  The Citadel shape could be much better and I'm not a fan of HFX in place of Halifax.  I think the kingfisher was assumed as their primary so this seems somewhat generic in comparison.  

zzPEfBm.png

3 minutes ago, steve61 said:

I don't completely hate the concept but the execution seems a bit off.  The Citadel shape could be much better and I'm not a fan of HFX in place of Halifax.  I think the kingfisher was assumed as their primary so this seems somewhat generic in comparison.  

I understand what you're saying and I also think the Kingfisher would have been better. I do think it is a good look overall though.

6 minutes ago, Section30 said:

I understand what you're saying and I also think the Kingfisher would have been better. I do think it is a good look overall though.

It could definitely have been worse.  The bridge logo has just been very overdone in Halifax so I was really looking forward to something different.  Still not terrible.  Overall the look of the CPL has exceeded my expectations for a relatively low budget startup .  

zzPEfBm.png

Yeah I don't love Halifax either, but I am glad that everything at least is very clean and professional looking. I was worried about some people being involved in the identity creation process, and that there may have been some very amateur designs. Luckily that has not been the case.

12 hours ago, steve61 said:

Leaked image.  Not great.  

JSk4uCS7KqzRsL_iG7dhq0lZyz_9--40aMW6VUyyVjk.jpg?w=1024&s=ca4615eb0863d8543d48e98e3a9f5905

QUIT. PUTTING. TINY. ILLEGIBLE. PHRASES. ESPECIALLY. IN. LATIN. IN. YOUR. LOGOS.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

13 hours ago, Section30 said:

I actually really like this. The only thing I'd change is either eliminate the anchor at the bottom or make it more prominent, other than that I'd say this is easily the best logo in the league so far.

Yeah, I'm with you there. 

Elminate it or drop all the lines in the bottom portion of the logo and just have 1 big anchor. 

Archived