Duck_Duck

MLB 2 Portland Concepts

3 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

In case it's not immediately apparent, Swifts isn't just an allusion to speed. Swifts are a small migratory bird that for five weeks every September roost inside the chimney of a 1920s Portland elementary school as part of their pilgrimage south. Each evening at sunset they gather above the school and funnel themselves into the chimney, a natural visual spectacle here in Portland that regularly draws big crowds.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaux's_swift

This. And for anyone wondering about “Buds”, it relates to the city on a few levels.

Rose buds for the Rose City, smoking bud (yay, legal weed), and former mayor Bud Clark.

Extremely down with Portland Pines if the NHL Seattle team doesn't get named the Evergreens. Most of the rest are terrible and scream minors, "River Rats" in particular. No to "Buds," but yes to "Rosebuds" casually abbreviated as such.

6 hours ago, Duck_Duck said:

I’m not sure I could root for a team called the “Buds”.

It was really hard for a long time but with John Tavares joining Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner, things are finally looking up!

Portland Volcanoes since the city itself sits on a bunch of small inactive ones.  

Volcanoes erupt with 6 runs in the 8th inning.

I really see potential in the Pines and Steelheads but I also really “Stags.”

I love the creative output for these concepts and I really wanna see Portland grow as a sports city (despite the difficulties surrounding Stadiums).

I think Pines is the only one on that list I could live with as a mlb team name.

Stags is one I like but don't love. Steelheads is, again, very minor-league: ECHL Boise and OHL Mississauga are the first come to mind. Swifts doesn't roll off the tongue, plus there's Taylor Swift. I am ready for yet another passerine baseball team: Larks would be cool, or even the Wrens!

I mostly just wanted to post a Wrens song.

5 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

The names and logos aren't the worst things, though they seem way more minor league than major league but man pretty much every jersey there is complete trash. I can't imagine any MLB team wearing jerseys like that. 

Those Pines jerseys look like a great design.....for 1980.

11 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Larks would be cool, or even the Wrens!

or the Herons, while we’re on the subject.

2 hours ago, Wings said:

Portland Volcanoes since the city itself sits on a bunch of small inactive ones.  

Single A Salem-Keizer might have an issue with that

https://www.milb.com/salem-keizer

21 minutes ago, nate.sweitz said:

or the Herons, while we’re on the subject.

But they'll fly into your kitchen and make a mess of your pots and pans!

At first glance, when I thought this was actually a group trying to come up with a final identity to pitch bringing Baseball to Portland, I thought how horrible all these were...

Then about halfway down the page I saw the local news report and when viewed in the right context it's actually a very cool idea.

To have a local firm print out Hats, Pins, etc. of the these proposed teams to sell for charity is actually kind of cool.

I think more cities should have events like this, here in Buffalo someone could do an NBA version.

I love all these designs but they are definitely not MLB material

These names are so insipid, I don't even think summer college-league teams would want to adopt these names.

What's wrong with Portland Pines? It's simple and snappy -- two things most minor-league teams aren't in this age of Binghamton Rumble Ponies, Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs, and Northeast Mississippi Golden Devil Possums.

On 9/24/2018 at 10:11 AM, Duck_Duck said:

Yeah, forgot to upload it.  Here ya go.  Definitely the most creative, from a tongue-in-cheek perspective.

These were all done for a fun / excitement building promo event.  As far as I know, none of them are actually in consideration for the new team.

That said, it was sponsored by the group trying to land a franchise in Portland so I don’t think it’s a given that any relocated team would keep their previous name. They’re clearly thinking about new branding.

I liked the Pines name and uniforms a lot. The logo was almost too minimalist for me (and I’m a huge fan of the 70’s Blazers look).

The Steelheads logo was superb, but the wordmarks and uniforms were pretty underwhelming.

The Buds has a great concept, but  I couldn’t get behind the colors, and I’m not sure I could root for a team called the “Buds”.

bmfI97h.jpgYYDP56k.jpg

"STUUUART!"

4 hours ago, buzzcut said:

These names are so insipid, I don't even think summer college-league teams would want to adopt these names.

Insipid?

I don't think that means what you think it does.  They're maybe not "MLB" names, but you're talking about a league with A's, Reds, Giants, and Tigers.  The majors don't lack for innocuous monikers.