Indiana Pacers Re-Brand

bohob

I'm slowly getting myself caught up on your stuff, Bowen, so bear with me for a lil' bit. ^_^

First off, I will say this: your illustration/rendering skills are absolutely amazing. That's one thing I've noticed about all your work--the manner in which you manage to render your logos, so kudos on that. That you're able to take C&C, go back, edit, change, tweak things on a consistent basis shows your determination and commitment to a quality product--something that will serve you well should you choose to pursue this as a full-time career. (Take it from one who knows.)

Now on to this...I'm no expert on Indy cars, but that's a right fine rendered version there. (I actually liked the version with the ball in the hood the best, but I'll digress.) I believe the car works best facing to the right, as in your most recent update (think of camera angles when cars come past the start/finish line; usually the camera angle is to the drivers' right). The streaks help enhance the sense of motion, so nice on that.

As far as car/script combos go, if you were to flip that car around to face the right in this most recent update, I think you'd be on to something. I think that somehow the 3/4 views in which you're rendering these things are probably what's throwing some folks off. Try a full-profile render of the race car with the script you have above the left-facing car--and shear it at a "faster" angle, to give it more "speed", if you will. I see how you stuck a basketball on as a decal; pretty clever. And finally, two last points on the script: I'd change the direction of the shadows (to make it appear the letters are rising to the right), and try adding some serifs to the letters to really hammer home the motion aspect.

This is all just my two rusted Lincolns, of course; do with it what you want. But as illwauk said, you already get major props for even taking on the Pacers in the first place, even more for coming up with yet another unique identity concept. Look forward to more!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Buc, for the kind words and helpful C&C. You've been very good about explaining you critique since I've come here. Anyways, here's an update with one of the logos from the previous update (on top) and two variations on that, one with a "leftalic" wordmark, and one with the further italicized wordmark Buc suggested. C&C please.

pacers_primary6.jpg

Those tertiary logos are sick man.

I personally like the tire one better because it has a better connection with the Indiana Speedway itself; however, I'd choose the one with the basketball for the sole reason that it basketballizes (not a word, I know) the identity a little bit more.

About the car: Looks much better facing to the right.

Now those are what i was talking about in my post. I would are say put some text on the wheel like goodyear... maybe INDIANA or something, to really mimic the writing on a tire. Or another idea would be hiding INDIANA or PACERS in the treads of the wheel.

For the basketball with the wings, i would modify the P and Basketball logo they currently have. Or, even just a P with an I in it, with wings coming off.

A lot of potential with the wings logo.

EDIT: another idea for a wings logo: You can have a wheel/tire combo... kind of how the Bobcats, Mavericks, and Timberwolves have the seems of the ball making some distinction of the Cat, Horse, and Wolf. There are a lot of possibilities with this. Feel free to toss me some credit. ;)

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The car should stay going left since that's the way races are driven. The wings with the basektball are sick!

doesn't it just depend on where you are watching the race from? I mean if you were in the stands wouldn't it be facing right and from the infield it would be left? I don't think it really matters it looks fine both ways, just saying

I still don't feel that the car fits an NBA team tho...I mean you could use it as secondary, and use one of the wing logos along with the script as the primary

The car should stay going left since that's the way races are driven. The wings with the basektball are sick!

doesn't it just depend on where you are watching the race from? I mean if you were in the stands wouldn't it be facing right and from the infield it would be left? I don't think it really matters it looks fine both ways, just saying

I still don't feel that the car fits an NBA team tho...I mean you could use it as secondary, and use one of the wing logos along with the script as the primary

Yeah, as much as I love your work with the Car I think the Wing logos would look more appropriate as a Primary and I don't know why. Maybe is their simplicity.

No, not really b/c you wouldn't see the car with the banking in that case. That's why it has to be to the left. It's a real nice logo though.

6fQjS3M.png

I have seen this argument in this thread many times and just don't get it. Just because you have never seen a car used in a sports logo- that means it doesn't fit a professional team? Does a plane/jet fit an NFL team? How is that any different? How does a Velociraptor fit into the NBA? The logo should fit the city and team name; here, it does. While I personally feel like Pacers is a term more commonly reserved for horse racing (I think Pace Car in racing), I do know it is most associated with car racing in Indianapolis.

UPDATE

I've finalized the logo set. I kept the car going left because it worked best with the wordmark treatment. The supporting marks are the stand alone car and basketball with wings. I will try to get uniforms up soon. And GFB, I think I like your tire tread idea.

pacers_logos.jpg

hey you might want to read to posts up... i posted more ideas for the wings logo. you could combine the ball with the tire or even use the current P logo.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Archived