Indiana Pacers Re-Brand

bohob

bucks_thumb.jpgsuns_thumb.jpgjazz_thumb.jpg

Hello all,

Above I have posted logos for my previous NBA Re-Brands, and I am back with my newest NBA concept, the Indiana Pacers. While the Pacers currently use the Fast-P logo, I find it boring. Now, I realize generally pace cars are not of the Indy mold and are generally really nice stock cars, but I decided the Indy car would make a great logo. I am a little unsure about the highlight on the hood of the car, but overall, I think it's ready for the first round of C&C. So, have at it!

pacers_primary.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

uhggggg for soo long I've wanted someone to do a good pacers re-design! SO LONG! thank you bohob. it looks really nice but doesnt say "basketball to me" which is a problem considering where the word pacer comes from, and basketball are two opposites on the sports spectrum.idk how you'd be able to combine them. but good work none the less.

lrg_6444e0b331f54e979d389637de158186.jpg

I think it's really cool. I think the car needs to have some basketball related stuff going on with it though because right now I wouldn't know it was the Pacers unless I saw the words. That is the problem with a team like that that never changes anything. When someone actually does come up with something cool to represent them, they have to spend a lot of time trying to make the new identity fit.

Like I said, it's a really cool logo but it just needs some basketball elements.

This looks very nice bohob. That car idea for the Pacers work well for a team like that. But, like mentioned above, it just doesn't say basketball to me. Maybe add some basketball stripes, very subtle though, onto the hood. Should work well since it's rounded.

Also, maybe as a secondary you could do a racing helmet with the basketball stripes. Just a thought; great work though.

It is a nice concept and design, but it doesn't say basketball. It doesn't really say any sport besides Indy car. I like the lettering... that is about the only thing that fits.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

this just dosent do it for me. the car doesnt really sit well on top of the word mark, it looks akward and out of place. perspective probably has a lot to do with that. it also appears you used an F1 car, i think an IRL car would make much more sense, though they are changing their chassis/body design in 2012. such a logo woul d have to be updated then, unless you went with an antique car.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

uhggggg for soo long I've wanted someone to do a good pacers re-design! SO LONG! thank you bohob. it looks really nice but doesnt say "basketball to me" which is a problem considering where the word pacer comes from, and basketball are two opposites on the sports spectrum.

Well, plenty of nice current NBA logos don't exactly scream "basketball."

The Bulls, Spurs, Rockets, Blazers, Grizzlies, Bobcats, Bucks, Timberwolves, Jazz, and Nuggets primary logos don't feature basketballs at all, but they're still iconic and people know right away that they are basketball teams.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

uhggggg for soo long I've wanted someone to do a good pacers re-design! SO LONG! thank you bohob. it looks really nice but doesnt say "basketball to me" which is a problem considering where the word pacer comes from, and basketball are two opposites on the sports spectrum.

The Bulls, Spurs, Rockets, Blazers, Grizzlies, Bobcats, Bucks, Timberwolves, Jazz, and Nuggets primary logos don't feature basketballs at all, but they're still iconic and people know right away that they are basketball teams.

I agree with Lights Out. It doesn't need to have a basketball in the logo to be a good one. I personally love the logo.

nlog42.jpg

Thanks Dolphins91 for the jersey avatars.

I agree with Lights Out. It doesn't need to have a basketball in the logo to be a good one. I personally love the logo.

I'm aware of that. not having a basketball in it doesn't mean its the end of the world. two of bohobs other recent logos don't have basketballs in them either. i love the logo too but it'd be cool if he could figure out a way to incorporate something to do with a basketball into the logo(s) that he's made. with this one it would just take time until people started to instantly think of basketball when they see it, other wise people who don't follow the sports maybe would have no idea what it was.

lrg_6444e0b331f54e979d389637de158186.jpg

Like a lot of other people, I think this is a really solid illustration that isn't quite working as a logo for the Indiana Pacers NBA team. Two places where the car needs work are the wheel size ratios (I think the back is fine, but the front is too big) and the motion lines (the current parallel lines seem like an afterthought). Also, the integration of the text is much weaker here than in your previous work.

I definitely don't think you need a basketball in the logo. Of course, it wouldn't hurt. You could try incorporating one into the wheels (like you did with the Suns), or what about as a decal? Indy cars are covered with them, so why not a basketball decal... maybe with a nice IP monogram logo on there as well? You could then use the stand-alone IP monogram as a secondary logo.

Another thing that's bothering me is the type of car you've chosen. I could see it for a team nicknamed the "Racers," but when I think "Pacers" I always associate it with a pace car, which for Indy should be a Camaro or something. Of course, I guess "Pacers" could mean the car setting the pace, in which case an open-wheeled car would be fine. That's always confused me about the Pacers' nickname.

Regardless, the whole thing just kinda feels bland. It looks like a car thats not actually moving, but has lines painted behind it, plopped on top of some type. I think it needs some work.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

When we say it doesn't fit, we mean it doesn't work... at all. It would be like putting a helmet and shoulders pads on the Boston Celtics logo, and spinning a football then trying to call it a re-brand for the Boston Celtics BASKETBALL team. Or taking the baseball out of the Dodgers logo and putting a basketball hoop instead, then trying to say its the LA Dodgers BASEBALL team.

It doesn't work. The Indy car represents Indy RACING not BASKETBALL.

I usually like a lot of the concepts people do, especially the three you have already done, but the indy car just doesn't work.

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

UPDATE: PRIMARY LOGO

Ok, I reworked a few things. I adjusted the front wheels and added the partial that Impaler suggested. On the front, I have added a hood ornament, which is a basketball and a P. The lockup treatment of the text and indy car, are reversed. I think this helps because the extra spacing in INDIANA allows the car and text block to share more space. Also, I have paired down the motion lines and adjusted their placement. C&C please.

pacers_primary2.jpg

Update is a big improvment. I still think the car looks parked, not really moving. Maybe there is something you can do about the shading of the wheels to help that?

And I think the text overshadows the car. I think it would work better seperated (you'll have to make a standalone car logo anyway because it can't always be displayed with the script)... and I'd like the see much less of a shaded text box and just the letters. That way the car will be more prominent.

Have you though about maybe using basketballs AS the wheels of the car? It might be a bit tough to execute, but that would look awesome.

700th post!

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

It looks better than the original... but in the end... you are still using an icon for one sport, and trying to make it a logo for another. I go back to my analogy of putting shoulder pads and a football helmet on the Celtics logo or putting a basketball hoop on the Dodgers logo.

The only thing that might work with the idea you are shooting for, is some sort of car wheel with an angel wing come out of it... kinda of like a modified Goodyear logo.

I think it's very solid as of now and has great potential great job.

However, there are 2 things that bug me:

1- It bothers me to read PACERS -> INDIANA in that order; maybe switch them up?

2- I suggest that you try to separate the car (the isotypical aspect) from the wordmark so they can work better on their own as well.

Also, it could have more basketball, but that is up to you, I personally think it looks great.

Keep up the great job.

Archived