Pittsburgh Penguins Logos and Jerseys

piratesfan16

I was wondering what people's opinions were on the Penguins jerseys of the past and present. They have had many different color schemes over their history such as blue and white, blue and gold, black and athletic gold, black and vegas gold, or mixture of them. So what is your opinion on the current jerseys? Are you a fan of the RBk Edge template? Are you a fan of the skating penguin or the 'robo-pen'?

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Personally, I prefer the black and athletic gold. With a mix of the robo and skating penguin. I love the baby blue but the three colors do not mix well together. The Rbk-Edge, I don't hate as much as many others here but I do prefer the CCM days.

Jets_zps66b1c061.png

As a Penguins fan I can honestly say they have one of the worst jerseys in their history right now. I (unlike many other Penguins fans) don't mind the Vegas gold but if they're going to stick with it I wish they'd go back to these jerseys.

02Home.jpg

These were far superior to the ones they have currently IMO.

I also don't mind the robo penguin but I much prefer the skating penguin.

I love how they have the blue alt for their third jersey but I wish they would have switched to this for the '11 WC.

67home.jpg

I made a super-quick mock up of what I'd like to see out of the Pens one day.

2lmtmbo.png

2ev59cg.jpg

21dh5qp.png

In my opinion, the current logo (no matter what colour - yellow, gold or vegas gold - ) is just fantastic. It's perfect, one of the best hockey logos ever, makes the top 5 of all time for sure. The jerseys have a different story, I don't like any of them really.

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

I do not mind the current Penguins set. They are not fantastic, but they are not horrendous either. Not many people feel the same way that I do, but I think the Penguins have had one of the less disastrous Edge makeovers. They survived it, unlike Edmonton and Calgary to name a few.

Here's what those late 90's jerseys look like in the current color scheme. Which do you prefer?

10h6g60.jpg

By today's standards, that uniform would receive Slug treatment if it was introduced today. Yet for some reason, I just really like it.

And to answer your question, I'm sorry but I think the original yellow looks better.

I may be in the minority, but I love the 'Robo-pen' logo. Bold, proud, and original. Triangle representing the three rivers, a much better looking penguin than the one we have now, and it spawned some of the best NHL jerseys I've ever seen. Of course there is a nostalgic factor, but I'm still in favor of the robo-pen. I don't understand why people diss the logo on the basis that it doesn't look like a penguin. It make me wonder if they have ever seen a penguin. The current logo, while it is very classy, does not look like a penguin IMO.

168eo8n.jpg

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

I may be in the minority, but I love the 'Robo-pen' logo. Bold, proud, and original. Triangle representing the three rivers, a much better looking penguin than the one we have now, and it spawned some of the best NHL jerseys I've ever seen. Of course there is a nostalgic factor, but I'm still in favor of the robo-pen. I don't understand why people diss the logo on the basis that it doesn't look like a penguin. It make me wonder if they have ever seen a penguin. The current logo, while it is very classy, does not look like a penguin IMO.

168eo8n.jpg

Could not agree more with this assessment. I've never understood why the majority appear to think that the robo-penguin didn't look like a penguin, especially compared to the skating penguin.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I used to think the Cup jerseys were the best, but lately I've fallen in love with these (the top two)

PittsburghPenguins1992-2002.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

In regards to the current doesn't look like a penguin... got this from National Geographic, ignoring the white running down to the feet on the actual one and white on the beak, that's basically like the current penguin in the primary logo.

adelie-penguin_433_600x450.jpg

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

To me, it's less about the color patterning (because there is obviously a lot of variety there among different species, though I'd still argue that the king/emperor penguins are the more "recognized" ones to the general public). It's more about the shape of the head and beak, which are far too boxy and clunky on the skating penguin. The robo-pen does a much better job, imo, of nailing the smoothness of the head and the sharp, tapering beak.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

It's not that it doesn't look like a penguin, it's that it looks like the logo for an air conditioning company.

That, and the robo-penguin replaced a logo that was associated with back-to-back Stanley Cup championships. Replacing a look that's so associated with franchise success is never a good idea.

The robo-penguin/pidgeon was a cash grab, and I'm a bit ashamed of it for that reason. Supposedly, and I've never seen anything in print to back this up, but Mellon Bank paid a whole bunch of money to get those little white horizontal stripes in the black so it mimics their logo (it doesn't look like their logo much, but still, that's the best reasoning i've heard for those random stripes). The pidgeon logo just doesn't say much. It's TOO bland for this team.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived