2011-12 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

jhans203

I'm in Lights Out's boat, in that I believe the Cavs should've never deviated from the early 2000's set. I don't believe in "OH BUT THEY LOST IN THEM SO THEY'RE BAD". Bottom-line: that was thier sharpest identity in team history, regardless of how the team played in them. A light blue alt would have polished it off. There was no legitimate reason to change it - no, not even LeBron. That set still would have sold as long as his name was on the back.

Wine and Gold are the Cavaliers' roots. I like the late 90's/early 2K sets as well, but they lacked an identity during that era. Their current uniform is classic. Maybe it's too retro looking, but they pull it off. If anything, once they are allowed an official 3rd alternate uni, I want to see a gold jersey added. Other than that, the new uni's are flawlwess....simple, but flawless.

I get that the two colors are thier roots, but that light blue, black, and orange were such a better (and much more unique) color scheme. I don't necessarily hate wine and gold, but it's one of the least appealing color schemes, in my humble opinion. The light blue-black-orange was alot cooler and appealing, and once they toned down the 90's set going into the 2000's, they got it as close to perfect as they possibly could have. A crisp, clean set with unique colors is always a win in my book.

It's not the actual retro-ness of the current set that I don't like (I lean traditional, myself), but it's the fact that the retro-ness is kind of uneccesary, in my opinion. They aren't this team that's steeped in this glorious tradition like the Celtics or Lakers - they don't need a retro-inspired uniform. I also don't like it because, even though I disliked the LeBron era set, I still feel it had more going for it than the current, which doesn't bode well. I just feel the Cavs have gradually taken steps backwards since 2003(?) or whenever thier 2000's rebrand occured. They went from a truly unique and appealing identity to a "meh" one, to a "why?" one within an eight year span. And really, it was all pretty unneccesary. Just because LeBron fell into thier lap, doesn't mean they HAD to change. The jerseys and memorabilia would have sold regardless, and the set was so well designed and clean that it could have lasted even into today.

I don't consider these a step backwards at all. Yea, they're not flashy or "cool", but if find the simplicity of the style in conjunction with their original wine & gold colors to be great. Like I said, I'd love to see a gold alternate once they are allowed to have an official 3rd unifrom. As for the CavFanatic jerseys...I don't mind them since they are only worn once or twice a season.

p8524626dt.jpgp8524632dt.jpg

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, agree to disagree then :) I just think that set could've had a little more going for it. I don't mind simple; like I said, I tend to lean more traditional when it comes to design than not. But it's just an unneccesary simplicity, in my mind. At least in the LeBron era, they had a unique striping pattern going on with the navy alternate. At the very least, this current set could have featured something similar, even in the collar and sleeve trim. It wouldn't have neccessarily made it an instant classic, but it would have stood out more and would have at least established some sort of identity.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

In a NBA 2K12 forum, I read of two "hidden" uniforms that have yet to be given art files, but the names were provided:

- Miami Heat "Back In Black" uniform

- Toronto Raptors "Military Night" uniform

Maybe the Heat uni will be something along these lines?

NBA_Adidas_Miami_Heat_Chris_Bosh_Revolution_1_Swingman_Fashion_Black_Jersey.jpg

I can't begin to imagine what the Raps uni will look like, but nonetheless, I find it odd that the only Canadian team will do homage to the military. Will it be US military-related? Or maybe Canadian military-related? I'm sensing some irony there somewhere...

The current Cavs' uniforms strike an odd tone with me... they're far less intricate than the LeBron-era uniforms. It's almost like it's saying "time to shut up shop and give up because LeBron's gone" because of how simple, generic, and cheap-looking they are compared to the LeBron set (which is still worse than the last orange/powder blue/black set).

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The current Cavs' uniforms strike an odd tone with me... they're far less intricate than the LeBron-era uniforms. It's almost like it's saying "time to shut up shop and give up because LeBron's gone" because of how simple, generic, and cheap-looking they are compared to the LeBron set (which is still worse than the last orange/powder blue/black set).

That's exactly what I thought. It was like a high school girl getting dumped and showing up to school with no makeup and the same North Face fleece every day.

The LeBron uniforms weren't perfect (I'd have had double outlines on scripts and numbers to incorporate all three colors, with numbers in wine rather than navy, and names in navy rather than wine), but they were as close to a modern classic as we were going to get.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If they HAVE to do a military homage uniform, that's the way to go. Still, I think the NBA in general needs to lay off the special event alternates.

I definitely agree...I hate seeing teams wear special event unis...I hate the Raptors and Bulls green the most....It always makes you go "Wait, Boston's playing" before realizing it's the Raptors in green...

http://whosbestnbateam.blogspot.com/

On the hill we view the silence of the valley, Called to witness cycles only of the past, And we reach all this with movements in between the said remark

Close to the edge, down by the river, Down at the end, round by the corner

Seasons will pass you by, Now that it's all over and done, called to the seed, right to the sun, Now that you find now that you're whole

Seasons will pass you by, I get up, I get down -Yes

I'm in Lights Out's boat, in that I believe the Cavs should've never deviated from the early 2000's set. I don't believe in "OH BUT THEY LOST IN THEM SO THEY'RE BAD". Bottom-line: that was thier sharpest identity in team history, regardless of how the team played in them. A light blue alt would have polished it off. There was no legitimate reason to change it - no, not even LeBron. That set still would have sold as long as his name was on the back.

EDIT: Come to think of it, same goes for the Nuggets in thier early 2000's rebrand.

That set was decent in and of itself, but to me the previous rebrand was so bad, the sharper black set suffered by association.

To me it works well as a "back to basics" look. The previous set was amazing (except for the alt - the blue totally clutters the look IMO.) But the current look is simple and nice as well, works as a fresh start to me.

All new NBA unis for next season (as seen in NBA 2k12):

New Jazz & Kings alts:

417044617.jpg

Memphis Tams & Heat "Back In Black" uni:

417044356.jpg

Bulls Xmas & Cavs blue alt:

417044004.jpg

More Xmas:

417046697.jpg

Mavs Xmas & new Mavs alt:

417044968.jpg

Celts Xmas & Clips "Stars" throwback:

417053721.jpg

Raps Military Night & Nets throwback:

417054455.jpg

Sixers alt & Bobcats "Cougars throwback":

417055282.jpg

Heat Xmas:

417054173.jpg

*thanks to hokupguy from NLSC*

That Raps Military Night uni is horrendous, and I'm lovin the Tams uni. Thoughts, everyone?

I don't know if this is something they're doing, but if the Nets are using that New York throwback this year, it's an inspired choice. They can use New York even while becoming the Brooklyn Nets next year. They might be smart to evolve to a similar style so they could keep that one in the rotation.

With next season being the 45th anniversary of the ABA, I'd expect a lot of teams in ABA cities to break out the throwbacks. The Timberwolves had the vote on the Pipers/Muskies unis, and from what I've heard the Hornets will be using the Buccaneers throwbacks again.

That is, if there is a season...

With next season being the 45th anniversary of the ABA, I'd expect a lot of teams in ABA cities to break out the throwbacks. The Timberwolves had the vote on the Pipers/Muskies unis, and from what I've heard the Hornets will be using the Buccaneers throwbacks again.

That is, if there is a season...

yea, going thru 2K12, i saw that the T-Wolves will be sporting these Muskies unis:

1967MinnesotaHome2.JPG

I wish the Jazz would have a Stars throwback jersey.

That's actually a pretty good idea, I wouldn't mind that at all. It'd be a great tribute to Utah's first champions, and with teams dusting off more and more ABA throwbacks, it wouldn't be that bizarre of an idea.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived