"Cougars" outlawed as school nickname

johnnysama

sounds like a case of some butt hurt school board members.

If they're offended over "cougars" and their butts hurt, they're having more fun than my school board ever did!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Haha, I mentioned this in the Gear Grinder thread. I'm from a small town just south of Draper, so I've been hearing a lot about this. It's absolutely ridiculous. You can say what you want about today's youth, but I'm pretty sure the slang "Cougar" was not on the student's minds when they voted (as mentioned, BYU is just a good 15-20 mins away...pretty sure that fanship had more to do with it than anything). When Fox 13 posted the story on its facebook page, the comments were overwhelmingly (actually, pretty close to unanimously) opposed to the board's move.

Now, I'm just waiting for the day a name like "Panthers" gets rejected for some silly reason like "BUT IN ANCHORMAN THE COLOGNE BRIAN WEARS IS CALLED "SEX PANTHER"!! ZOMG!!!111!!". You might find that silly, but in this day and age, I really think that has a legit chance of happening somewhere. Stories like this one just make that all the more likely.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I posted this same story on a different section in the forum.

I managed to track down the email addresses of each board member and sent them a long email explaining just how stupid this story is making them look to the entire country

what exactly is so offensive about cougars?

Nothing.

But the reason is that "cougar" has become a slang term for a middle aged woman that pursues dating/sex with a younger male.

(Copied from my post on MGHelmets' thread)

I first saw this on some cheesy site and I honestly did not believe the "offending middle aged women" angle was true. I figured that was the knee jerk "shock value" response and that the real reason was that they did not want a name that could possibly drum up anyone making any sexual references whatsoever (particularly if the school should get a decent looking middle-aged female principle/teacher/coach). That's roughly as stupid a reason, anyway, I suppose.

I guess I cannot speak for all middle-aged single women in Utah, America, the World, but I have a hard time believing that this would offend anyone. And there is still part of me that thinks this may have been more "right wing PC" (the "sexual" angle) than "left wing PC" (oversenstivity), but all reports seem to indicate the latter. Either way this is dumb. A cougar is, first and foremost, an animal that is totally consistent with what schools name themselves. The other definition is essentially slang.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I suppose "Beavers" will be the next one to be banned - along with Trojans and Cocks.

Interesting...I have thought about this before, and while I don't think schools with these names will change them, I bet you'll never get "Cocks"/"Gamecocks" or "Beavers" as a new name again. Trojans, maybe/maybe not.

Personally, I don't mind if someone wants to name their school that...but on the other hand, I think I'd steer clear of it if it was up to me...based on how much "fun" the opposing team students could have with our school. Not because it's "offensive". For me, Cougars does not fall into that category.

(Plus I would suspect student bodies may vote for "Gamecocks" for the same reason people from the midwest by Gamecocks hats).

The smart thing would not be to have it as an option...

So I've softened my stance and I get why they would not want that name (though moreso with cocks or beavers), but once you let the students have it as a choice, you kinda gotta go with it. That's where they screwed up.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Having done some work in retail by all means feel free to offend as many middle aged white women as you can in your lifetime.

The shining star worst demographic of people I've had to deal with. No group of people I've had to deal with is more arrogant, more offensive, or more likely to say just downright nasty things in order to get their way then them.

Archived