Houston Astros Concept

speedy

So with all the talk of a rebrand for the switch to the American League, I decided to throw my two cents in the ring.

I looked through pictures upon pictures trying to make a cohesive brand that ties together the best aspects of the Astros history. Gone is the Wild West theme and back is a more space oriented package. I've returned the Astros to their original orange and blue and brought back the star H.

Here is the new primary logo, loosely based off the their first anniversary logo. The stripes in the roundel will make sense later.

AstrosNewLogos.png

AstrosNewJerseys.png

What do you think? C&C is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually really like this. I like the modern font, and I think the logo looks great. I would, however, ditch the "1962". I think they're unnecessary to put on primary logos. Aside from that, there are a few nitpicks I have with this:

• On the road, I'd make the striping (on the jersey and pants) orange-white-blue as opposed to grey in between; it would really make the other colours pop
  • The primary cap has a blue brim, but an orange button. This is really nitpicking here, but the button should always match the bill (I think the context implied that it was conditional on the bill being a different colour, but no matter)
  • Likewise, the alt cap has a random orange button. It looks odd and sticks out too much; just go solid blue.
  • I can't believe I missed this - make the belt blue.

You know what, I've looked at the font again and I agree with the other posters. I just noticed how bad the "T" looks (among others, of course). You're best off going all-serif if you want to modernize it, and not half.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

This is a fantastic concept. All I have are suggestions for minor tweaks:

-Go with navy belts

-Give the orange hats navy buttons

-Switch the navy hat to the road and use the orange cap with the orange jersey

While I'm not normally a fan of roundells for primary logos, this one is amazing.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

The font simply does not work. It looks like a stock font that someone said had to be customized just enough to make it proprietary. The angles on each letter seem arbitrary and awkward - like mistakes that weren't caught. For example, the jagged edge on the serif of the T (the bottom one mostly, but the top too) is difficult to look at and destroys the flow of the word, which is the whole point of a serif to begin with. I stared at the H for a while figuring that it was a mistake until I saw that it was part of that font package, which explains it, but just shows why it doesn't work - especially in front of the star.

It's too traditional a font to be modified with contemporary jaggedness (I hate to keep using that word but I don't know what else to call it.) The styles really clash. It's tough to combine clashing styles on a uniform and logo, but it's nearly impossible on one of the base elements, like a font. Just my two cents.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I actually really like this. I like the modern font, and I think the logo looks great. I would, however, ditch the "1962". I think they're unnecessary to put on primary logos. Aside from that, there are a few nitpicks I have with this:

• On the road, I'd make the striping (on the jersey and pants) orange-white-blue as opposed to grey in between; it would really make the other colours pop
  • The primary cap has a blue brim, but an orange button. This is really nitpicking here, but the button should always match the bill
  • Likewise, the alt cap has a random orange button. It looks odd and sticks out too much; just go solid blue.
  • I can't believe I missed this - make the belt blue.

I agree on all of these points except the font. The jagged edges are really unnecessary and really throw off the whole look. Serifs can be modified in different ways, but the one thing that doesn't really work is asymmetry.

Also, the letters in the jersey wordmarks should be spaced out more IMO. The overlapping keystrokes makes them seem crowded. I would space out the letters enough so that none of them are touching.

Great job overall, though. This is a really solid identity.

You know what guys, I appreciate the honesty. I too had a problem with the jersey script, the more I looked at it the less I liked it. I figured I'd throw it to the wolves and see what kind of critiques I could get.

Should I lean more towards the font in the roundell or try a better serif font?

I'll make the changes to the jersey, pants, and cap - all great suggestions; but I'll wait till I rework the script before I post an update.

Thanks for the help so far.

but the button should always match the bill

False.

The button of a cap should match the bill if the bill is a different color than the crown. If the bill and the crown are the same color, a button can either be the bill color, or the color of the cap logo, a la Mets, Giants, etc.

Or if you're the Phillies, you can slap on a random blue button.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Shoulder stripes = 70's/80's fad. Doesn't really transition into this era and really would not look very good when worn in their old tymey park.

Which I said in the first post, so I agree.

But... their old tymey park doesn't transition very well into their naming. Can't change the ball park, you can certainly change the uniforms though. Double blues were an old fad too, as was white paneled caps. Design is cyclical. Look at the Majors right now, teams that are redesigning are either reworking designs they've passed on from, or going a simple route to return to an old era. I think just because it was an old fad doesn't make it serviceable today. But who knows, I didn't expect everyone to like 'em.

I love this concept minus the shoulder stripes like others have said. It's a better direction than the confused "are we about space or about being ranchers?" thing they've got going right now.

mainescarf.png

this is exactly what thew astros should wear exceopt for one small change:

bring this era back somehow :1078.gif

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

I had the impression in the first set that the star was sort of pinched between the top of the H.

Would have been a great and unique way to add some perspective, because now, its looks almost indentical to the 70's logo.

Also, is there a way to make the top star spike looks a bit like an A?

Just askin.

My 1.98 cents ;-)

Archived