#1 andrewharrington

andrewharrington
  • The Go-Getter

• Members
  • 5,475 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 21:28

This topic comes up every now and then. Here's one I didn't know about:

Tiffany Blue

I wonder how many other companies have their own custom, PANTONE-recognized colors that are completely exclusive and not printed in the book.
I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of the adidas Group and its brands.]

#2 CRichardson

CRichardson

• Members
  • 5,392 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 21:29

TV Tropes has a listing of a few of them: http://tvtropes.org/...eyOwnsThisTrope

sport-scarf_blackhawks_zpsb1797cb7.png
GOAL ACHIEVED - 2013 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL) | The South Texas State University Rangers (NCFA-FCS)
Chicago Rivermen (UBA - 2013-14 National Conference Champions) | Quebec Metropolites - (UL) | Red Bull Seattle (ULL)

#3 andrewharrington

andrewharrington
  • The Go-Getter

• Members
  • 5,475 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 21:35

TaylorMade used to have a line in their legal sign-off on all their products that stated their copper color was a trademark.
I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of the adidas Group and its brands.]

#4 Sec19Row53

Sec19Row53
  • Stat Man

• Members
  • 1,841 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 21:42

Similar but different - Harley Davidson has trademarked the sound of their motorcycles.
It's where I sit.

#5 CRichardson

CRichardson

• Members
  • 5,392 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 21:52

Similar but different - Harley Davidson has trademarked the sound of their motorcycles.

No, they tried to do that but were laughed out of court for it. Basically, they tried to trademark the sound of the engines they used, which their competitors also used. If they got the trademark, it would have meant their competitors wouldn't have been allowed to use those engines, thus harming their business. It was a transparent attempt at corporate sabotage and didn't work.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL) | The South Texas State University Rangers (NCFA-FCS)
Chicago Rivermen (UBA - 2013-14 National Conference Champions) | Quebec Metropolites - (UL) | Red Bull Seattle (ULL)

#6 sc49erfan15

sc49erfan15
  • Mascot Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 5,901 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 22:21

UPS has the color brown trademarked in the delivery industry. Not sure if it's a specific shade, or brown in general.

Didn't know that about Tiffany, though. Interesting.

#7 CRichardson

CRichardson

• Members
  • 5,392 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 22:22

UPS has the color brown trademarked in the delivery industry. Not sure if it's a specific shade, or brown in general.

It's a very specific shade. Lots of companies do it via exact Pantone specifications.

#8 sc49erfan15

sc49erfan15
  • Mascot Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 5,901 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 22:26

It's a very specific shade. Lots of companies do it via exact Pantone specifications.

Right - but if I started a delivery company (or if another changed theirs) to a similar but different shade of brown, wouldn't it be infringing on their trademark? Wasn't that their point?

#9 CRichardson

CRichardson

• Members
  • 5,392 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 22:30

Right - but if I started a delivery company (or if another changed theirs) to a similar but different shade of brown, wouldn't it be infringing on their trademark? Wasn't that their point?

No, it wouldn't, because the other company could just point out that it doesn't match the Pantone specifications of UPS' brown and thus, no trademark infringement. It's the exact shade. If UPS was allowed to trademark all shades of brown, it would lead to a similar situation (though not nearly as bad since brown isn't the only color a company can use) as the Harley-Davidson example I mentioned.

#10 sc49erfan15

sc49erfan15
  • Mascot Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 5,901 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 23:02

No, it wouldn't, because the other company could just point out that it doesn't match the Pantone specifications of UPS' brown and thus, no trademark infringement. It's the exact shade. If UPS was allowed to trademark all shades of brown, it would lead to a similar situation (though not nearly as bad since brown isn't the only color a company can use) as the Harley-Davidson example I mentioned.

I'd have to think there's something stopping another delivery company from painting their trucks brown and calling themselves USP.

#11 CRichardson

CRichardson

• Members
  • 5,392 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 23:07

If you include the name, then yeah, UPS would probably have a case.

#12 Sec19Row53

Sec19Row53
  • Stat Man

• Members
  • 1,841 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 10:49

No, they tried to do that but were laughed out of court for it. Basically, they tried to trademark the sound of the engines they used, which their competitors also used. If they got the trademark, it would have meant their competitors wouldn't have been allowed to use those engines, thus harming their business. It was a transparent attempt at corporate sabotage and didn't work.

My mistake. I didn't recall hearing about the outcome. That's what I get for assuming.
It's where I sit.

#13 Mingjai

Mingjai

• Members
  • 1,149 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 11:05

It wouldn't be as cut and dry as you say because courts don't require the marks be exactly the same. If the marks--in this case the shade of brown--are not identical, then the court would examine whether there is likelihood of confusion that consumers would believe the goods/services came from the owner of the mark. There are several tests used by courts to examine that likelihood, the more famous being the DuPont factors and AMF v. Sleekcraft Boats, but I think UPS would have a very strong argument against a delivery company using brown trucks.

Posted Image

Support my design hobby by visiting my portfolio on REDBUBBLE

#14 CRichardson

CRichardson

• Members
  • 5,392 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 12:06

It wouldn't be as cut and dry as you say because courts don't require the marks be exactly the same. If the marks--in this case the shade of brown--are not identical, then the court would examine whether there is likelihood of confusion that consumers would believe the goods/services came from the owner of the mark. There are several tests used by courts to examine that likelihood, the more famous being the DuPont factors and AMF v. Sleekcraft Boats, but I think UPS would have a very strong argument against a delivery company using brown trucks.

Aha, thanks for the correction.

#15 pianoknight

pianoknight

• Members
  • 1,887 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 01:48

Symantec has copyrighted a shade of Pantone yellow.

Posted Image

5 National Titles. 9 Undefeated Seasons. 50 Bowl Appearances. 43 Conference Championships. 10 Division Titles.

uQegTQ6.png
3 Heisman Winners. 54 Consensus All-Americans. 28 Major Award Winners. 23 College Football Hall of Famers.

There is No Place Like Nebraska.

#16 BrandMooreArt

BrandMooreArt
  • Independent Graphic Artist

• Members
  • 3,512 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 08:00

i believe Coca Cola's red, Mickey Mouse's red pants (Disney), and Kodak gold are all trademarked.

#17 stumpygremlin

stumpygremlin

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 11:45

SPAM above me...

But I remember hearing that Fenway's Green Monster color is trademarked as well

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

#18 speedy

speedy

• Members
  • 2,741 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 13:26

SPAM above me...

But I remember hearing that Fenway's Green Monster color is trademarked as well

It's not trademarked per se but it is considered proprietary by the Red Sox. It's called "Fence Green" and made by California Paints, the formula is kept secret and the color isn't sold.

skyline-1.png

#19 bucknut40

bucknut40
  • 12-OH!

• Members
  • 923 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 16:49

How can you do that?
Posted Image Posted Image
#RaiderUp
Twitter-@R_Redinger4 My Blog-Southwest Ohio Football
NCFAF-Wheeling Coal Miners,NCFAF-FCS Lake Erie Shoremen, NCFAB-Wheeling Coal Miners

#20 BigBubba

BigBubba
  • 11/12/31

• Members
  • 4,477 posts

• Favourite Logos:Ball in Glove, Whalers, North Stars, Robo-Pen

Posted April 17, 2012 - 16:48

Guess the Leafs didn't get the memo (and I say that in all seriousness - is it that their shade of blue is too common to trademark?).

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

PotD: 29/1/12