The exact origin of the Blue Jays name?

Sanic

Been wondering this for a while now. Seen 3 sources and don't know which is credible.

Theory 1: Window
On Sportsnet, there's usually some special rerun of an episode explaining the origins of the team. The name was in 1 of 10 name submissions. Someone (forgot his name) connected to the staff had saw an actual blue jay by his window, and thought of naming the team the Blue Jays. It's probably unknown if he had known that was in the finalists, and then the others went on with it.
This was told by people who were actually part of the 1977 expansion process.
Theory 2: Beer
This site says that the name was chosen because of a reference to Labatt Breweries "Labatt Blue" beer. People hated the branding right off the bat and referred to the team as the Blues.
The same episode on Theory 1 shows that if the team was specifically a promotion for beer, they would allow beer in the stands. But they didn't. Also, people were wearing some Jays gear at the time and some banners used the Jays nickname, most of the time leaving out the word blue.
Theory 3: Colour
Sports E-cyclopedia says that there were a lot of blue jay species at the time in the Toronto area. This is actually true in the fact that it still is, according to the current range. The other point is that all Toronto-based teams wore blue and white.
I think point 1 is right. Thoughts?

Why pick one?

I had heard before that since Labatt owned the team, they wanted to work the "Blue" in there somehow and have people nickname the team "the Blues". Of course, people settled on "Jays" instead of "Blues". Probably apocryphal, but there's probably some truth in there, since a "blue" company did found the team.

I think everything just probably came together. Blue company, blue and white for Toronto sports, bird names are somewhat common in baseball, Jays are probably the best blue bird to pick, and they're local to the area. Win-win-win-win-win.

From Wikipedia:

Licensed by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) on April 2, 1984 as Action Canada Sports Network,[4] the channel was launched by the Labatt Brewing Company on September 1 of the same year as The Sports Network, or TSN. TSN was formed partly to promote Labatt's flagship products, but also to act as a vehicle for the Toronto Blue Jays baseball team (which was also owned by Labatt at the time).

I believe this was also touched upon in an anniversary retrospective that TSN themselves produced but I can't be arsed to look for it.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I had heard that MLB shot down "Blues" on the grounds that it was an obvious attempt to advertise beer, so they went with Blue Jays thinking everyone would just call them the "Blues" anyway.

I've got nothing to back that up. It's just the story I was told.

Is it true that the University of Toronto Varsity Blues got some sort of royalties or payment for that football movie of the same name that had the whipped cream bikini?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived