All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. It looks a little on the drab side... Like it could use a brighter, additional colour like Orange or the 'Senna' the Coyotes use. Still, how it looks on the ice depends entirely on whether the copper is metallic. The metal-flake material Vegas, L.A and Washington (RR 2.0) use could negate the need for additional swatch.
  3. I think the name will dictate a lot. If it’s Yeti’s could be the purple/light blue/dark blue wintery look. If it’s Outlaws I don’t see how purple could be a prominent color.
  4. Welp, seems like NFL aesthetics are finally dead that players won't even be wearing normal helmets anymore. I wonder how some classic uniforms are going to look like when they turn into flag football by 2030?
  5. With the backlash against public financing for stadiums at an all time high, Hawaii is best off staying at their on campus stadium.
  6. None of what you are posting addresses why I made the comment about attendance range in the 5-7k area.
  7. So, I just got back from a vacation to Hawaii. While there, one of the things that this old sports/sports logo geek had on the list was to visit Aloha Stadium, which has been vacant and unused since January 2021. Aloha will likely be demolished, and may or may not be replaced with a new stadium on the site. The stadium has always held interest for me since I read about it in the late 1970s, and found out about its interesting way of converting from a football to a baseball configuration. Completed in 1975, the stadium was home to University of Hawaii football, was a longtime host of the NFL Pro Bowl, was home to The Hawaiians of the WFL (last 4 games of the 1975 season ), the Hawaii Islanders of the PCL (1976-1987), Team Hawaii of the NASL (1977), and a series of bowl games: the Hula Bowl, the Aloha Bowl, the Oahu Bowl, and the Hawai'i Bowl. (I like the stylized volcano at the main entrance) This logo geek of course wore a NASL "Team Hawaii" shirt for the visit. What a goofball. The daughters were with me on this trip, and found that there was a "swap meet" (basically a huge flea market) held every Saturday in the parking lot, so we went there at that time, ostensibly so they could shop for stuff as girls tend to do. I think that was serendipitous , because the site MAY have had the parking lot closed otherwise, and I was able to actually get close to (and in one area, into) the stadium itself. As I mentioned, it was a convertible multipurpose stadium. This old seating chart on a wall in the stadium shows the football layout: The end zone sections are physically separate from the sideline sections, but are linked by curved skybridges in the corners, one at the lower level and one at the upper level. On that photo above, they are white outlined in black. Here is an interior shot showing the set up: What is interesting is how the stadium would switch to a baseball configuration. The sideline seats would split at the 50 yard line and pivot outward, connecting to the end zone sections and creating two opposite "V" shapes. The baseball diamond home plate would be in the curved south end zone. Here is a mockup I did using the above photo and photoshop showing how it worked: and here is an actual aerial photo of it in that configuration in 2007: I was told by the concierge at our hotel that he had never seen it in that configuration, and that he heard the mechanical means to do so were broken. After looking at it, I can believe it-- the "gap" area where the sideline stands would move looks like it hasn't been used in years : Looking back at the photo above and this one, a question I had before and still couldn't figure out is what happens to the curved bridges when the stands were moved? I wondered if they would slide underneath the curved end zone stands, or were lowered down to ground level and placed under the stands, or if they were removed by a crane or something and placed on the ground behind the lower level (you enter the lower level stands at the top of the section). After looking at it closely, still can't figure it out for sure. Here is a shot of the other side showing an upper bridge: With no obvious hinges, tracks or anything else, I am leaning to the answer of 'removing them by crane and placing them on the ground'. Another thing you notice in looking at the stadium and the shots before and one below is the amount of BROWN in the structure. That is not a style decision to match the WFL Hawaiians jersey color, but instead is the use of a material called "weathering steel". Essentially, rather than being stainless or painted, weathering steel forms a layer of rust on the exterior that acts as a protective patina. You can see examples of its use on pieces of art, certain transportation features (bridges), infrastructure items (catch basins and manhole covers) and in some buildings. Here is an area with notable uses of weathered steel, in the circular ramps, round elevator column, and lower level superstructure: The problem is, weathering steel does not work well in certain environments-- like the salt-laden ocean air of Hawaii. It KEEPS on rusting. A similar thing happened to the Omni Arena in Atlanta, where holes rusted through in the exterior. As such, the entire stadium has been been deemed unsafe and no events have been held since the Hula Bowl in January 2021. As linked at the start of this post, after several years of planning to redevelop the site with a new stadium and surrounding development (in the parking lot area), it looks like that idea may be out, and the U of Hawaii may stay on campus with a new stadium there. If that happens, who know what will become of the Aloha Stadium site?
  8. It's not our best look. It shouldn't see the field. ETA - hot pink would be visually different from our normal green and gold. I only think one member here would think that is a good thing to wear. Different doesn't equal good, nor does unique.
  9. For some reason, I prefer this throwback for the Packers. I don't know, it has a classic vibe to it and it's visually different from their normal dark green and athletic gold colors.
  10. That's still a dramatic improvement, and it still looks like a football helmet. If SAFR and Guardian caps have comparable stats, then SAFR would be the way to go.
  11. Not scummy in the same way that Snyder was, just scummy in the way he views teams as nothing but financial assets and means to ends, doesn't give a damn about the communities in which he operates in (despite making statements in all of them that paint himself as a hometown boy), and while he's mostly hands off as far as personnel goes (which is a good thing), he makes very questionable choices on who to give the keys to. He's pretty much hated here, and that was even before the arena thing.
  12. https://safrsports.com/lab-studies/ According to the link it's saying they reduce the risk of concussions by 77%, then it says 72% reduction on "concussive hits". But that's putting it on top of a 5-star rated helmet.
  13. Today
  14. So in a few years, he's going to say that they are going "All In" and not do anything to live up to that?
  15. Different number fonts for each team (specifically block for PITT) and yeah sure it’s great
  16. This has to be a top 5 uniform matchup IMO
  17. I am disturbed by how much I like the blue over bone combination.
  18. The weight isn't that much more. In fact, adding too much weight actually increases the chances of injury so that's taken into consideration when these are used.
  19. How scummy is he though? He seems to present himself as a cornball at most.
  20. Possibly stupid question here... but how much heavier are they? They seem like they would serve a purpose with hits but I cant imagine trying to run and juke with with massive thing on my head.
  21. I said the same thing about the New York Jets Namath-era uniforms on the Nike cut. Both the Rams and Jets would of benefit better with a modern take on it, but now with the Jets going back to the 1978-1989 Gastineau look make me happy because it does not look bad on the new uniform cuts. The Rams just need to stop the gimmicky gradients and the sectioned horns and they would look decent. The bone colored jerseys can work if the helmet and blue colors was navy blue without the highlighter yellow and given just a navy and bone look for an alternate look while the horns on the navy helmet is bone. I would of went in that direction instead.
  22. I've seen those too, but I don't know if there's any room inside the helmets for more padding. Not to mention, those make the aesthetic argument moot.
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.