I done did it again...

tBBP

I know I been gone from these concept boards for a good long while now. Reason: just gradutated and got my associate's degree in Visual Communications from IADT Pittsburgh! And I been chillin' (and handlin issues) for the past 3 weeks or so...

So anyway, I came up with a nifty concept idea while walking down the street today, and it came from me reading about Brownie the elf making a resurgence in Cleveland. Somehow that and the talk of the NO Saints unveiling a new look ran together in my head and had me headed right back into this same lab from which I've concocted and posted every other concept I've done and bam out an update on my Cleveland Browns re-do set (the original or which can be found doing a search of "NFL Re-do Concept Series" in the Concepts boards).

So this is what I did: number one, I went with an idea I had the first time of doing shoulder stripes, the wraparound version. (And it IS possible for those things to wrap all the way, or at least most of the way, around...found that out while studying the road uniforms of the Minnesota Vikings--before the change.) The other thing I decided to do, and the reason I been on such a frantic search for the updated Minnesota Vikings number sheet (as some of you may have noticed), is because, well, they pretty much match the Browns wordmark, so I used them here, except I also did them in the same San Diego-style as said wordmark (for what it's worth, the shoulder and sock striping also mimic that style). Oh, and before I forget to mention this, because Brownie is making a comeback, I went on ahead, stuck my neck out there, and stuck the lil' critter on the jersey sleeves. Good move, yes? No? Anyway, I did not change a singular thing about the helmet (I know, I know...tradition, tradition...). The primary home set is brown over white, with orange/brown/orange pants stripe. The primary road set? White over white. Now, just because it's been toyed before in conversation in this community, I went on ahead and concocted a white over brown road set too, as a secondary. Also, to add to that, just because it ALSO has been toyed with, I also concocted a--wait for it and take a BIG gulp--brown over brown home secondary, with orange socks to balance it out. And for the 3rd/alt, I reached back into Browns history and concocted a TRUE inspired alt, based off the Marion Motley/Otto Graham era, with two minor inconcgruencies: a/the TV numbers (back then the unis didn't have them, but I believe that's an NFL rule now to have them--if I'm wrong, someone please tell me), and b/ the names on the back. (That came after like 1960, I believe). The numbers are on the sides of the helmet. And yes that is a single white stripe--just the same way it was back in 1957, the first year the Browns started doing that.

Okay, here it is, folks...have fun dissecting it!

newCLEbrowns.png

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I must say, I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of orange pants. In general, I really like these, but I'm thinking the pant stripes should mirror those on the jersey. I'm not sure whether I like or dislike Brownie on the sleeves, but I guess if I can't say I dislike it, it's fine to stay. Although I think the Browns have the best uniforms in the NFL currently, I'd accept this as an update.

1st- welcome back :D

2nd - lookin good, i like the use of the primary logo on the sleeves, everything looks ship shape....

3rd - i know, broken record here, but i think you should include some orange pants in a set, but besides that, looks awesome..

I just wanna do hoodrat things with my friends.

heh, if you were trying to dip back to the Motley/Graham era, the numbers shoulda had drop shadow, as their old AAFC jerseys did. and I noticed Brownie's sleeves are a little shorter than they use to be :D

gettin on with it, either make the shoulder stripes match the pants stripes or vice versa...sleeve stripes can usually get away with being different, but not shoulder stripes.

eh, to be honest, I gotta sleep on this one, I don't hate it but I aint in love with it either

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Congratulations on earning your degree! You >>> (bow)

I like the set, but Brownie...ummm...it's not your use, it's the thing itself. It just bothers me for some reason.

Agree with a previous poster about the drop-shadow numerals, that would be cool...except...I couldn't find a pic of Cleveland wearing 'em. I remember seeing pics of the 49ers with drop-shadows way back when, but not the Browns. Did they have them?

Matching the jersey stripes with the pant stripes might look good too.

Check out this great color shot of Otto Graham. Talk about "back in the day." If current players were REAL men, they'd wear true throwbacks...like without face masks! B)

OttoGrahamCLRpf.tif.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Bucco - welcome back! Just got back myself after my own hiatus.

I like some of what you did to this. But I'm a bigger fan of a lot of your other stuff, to be honest.

The UCLA-style shoulder stripes don't work for the Browns. For all the furious debate that went on for this season's update, the big changes centered on the sleeve striping. Simply put, what they went back to this year is how the Browns should wear their stripes. And what they had before wasn't that far off from what they have now. Either way, the Browns need the 5 stripes on the sleeves, not at the shoulders. And while I like using Brownie, I'm not sure that the sleeves are wear he belongs, certainly not at the sake of the striping.

And the all-browns... I'm not gonna say it, but if the team plays like it, and their uniforms look like it, well then by gosh, then they must be... :P

On the other hand, I love the throwbacks, and the change to the Vikings font with Chargers effects is subtle but really works well here. Good idea.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Congratulations on earning your degree! You >>> (bow)

OttoGrahamCLRpf.tif.jpg

Interesting find...cuz that's exactly what I used when doing my third/alt set.

Bucco - welcome back! Just got back myself after my own hiatus.

I like some of what you did to this. But I'm a bigger fan of a lot of your other stuff, to be honest.

The UCLA-style shoulder stripes don't work for the Browns. For all the furious debate that went on for this season's update, the big changes centered on the sleeve striping. Simply put, what they went back to this year is how the Browns should wear their stripes. And what they had before wasn't that far off from what they have now. Either way, the Browns need the 5 stripes on the sleeves, not at the shoulders. And while I like using Brownie, I'm not sure that the sleeves are wear he belongs, certainly not at the sake of the striping.

And the all-browns... I'm not gonna say it, but if the team plays like it, and their uniforms look like it, well then by gosh, then they must be...

On the other hand, I love the throwbacks, and the change to the Vikings font with Chargers effects is subtle but really works well here. Good idea.

Yeah, VitaminD, where have YOU been? And where's this new concept that your "stork" was supposed to drop on us, or did I miss it already??? Been waiting to see that one...

Okay, only because I rushed myself in my explanation, let me sort out some details as to why I did what I did with this (and by saying that I'm not saying anyone's wrong in their C&C because, well, comments and critiques can't be wrong if they're statements of opinion). First off, the pants stripes. I did them that way just to emulate the stripe on the helmet. I was originally going to do all the striping, even the helmet, the same way as the shoulder wraparounds, but then, the fact that that dome is iconic made me back off that stance. Secondly, I didn't want the helmet to be the only thing that had a triple stripe, so, to add some balance, I matched the pants stripe to that. The shoulder stripe and socks stripe also match, if only in style. That was something I noticed with the current Browns setup: the helmet and pants stripe match; the shoulder and socks stripe--at least in throwback guise--also match. I came real close to doing a Florida Gators-esque look with this concept, but then I backed off that because, well, NFL team emulating college team (especially one I despise with every bone in my body *SEMINOLES IN MY BLOOD*) is more like a step down in stature, even if, aestetically, speaking, the Gators do have some nice uni sets--can't hate on that.

However, I will eventually get around to putting up an orange pants version, and I may just ax the "turd set" altogether--it was just put up to fancy folks' curiosities, feel me?

I must say...I missed y'all cats! Holla back soon...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

skyaa: the Browns had only worn shadowed numbers on their white jerseys, and from taking a glance, I gather they only used it in 1946 and 47. and at that, some guys got drop shadow, while some had plain block numbers. (I figure now's a good time to mention I've never seen pics of any shadow being on that era's brown jerseys, only their original whites).

oh yeah, i promised coherence :D I'm not too high on the shoulder stripes, they kinda remind me of the 85 Pats. I would have gone with brown pants if I were doing a redesign, but I don't know how I'd go about it til I ended up doing it.

heh...that's all i got.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

skyaa: the Browns had only worn shadowed numbers on their white jerseys, and from taking a glance, I gather they only used it in 1946 and 47. and at that, some guys got drop shadow, while some had plain block numbers. (I figure now's a good time to mention I've never seen pics of any shadow being on that era's brown jerseys, only their original whites).

oh yeah, i promised coherence :D I'm not too high on the shoulder stripes, they kinda remind me of the 85 Pats. I would have gone with brown pants if I were doing a redesign, but I don't know how I'd go about it til I ended up doing it.

heh...that's all i got.

I kinda thought the same thing about the 80's-era Patriots myself...after I posted it.

By the way, that dastard Brownie took some TIME to do, but I still have the raw vector of that somewhere if anyone wants it.

Oh, and by the way, Frywulf, that template is one I created about two months ago for my Airline Football League Concept Series, then modified for my NFL concepts and any other football uniform concepts I may get to doing. Oh, by the way, a glimpse into the future of my concept ideas: the league right now is tentatively titled XCFL. First one to figure out what that stands for wins 10 bonus points! A while back I briefly touched on this idea--can anyone remember it???

(Hint: first letter is phonetically representative of the first syllable of the first word of the league title...happy guessing and brain bending!!!)

Don't get me wrong, your concepts for the Browns look great and I think they could use an update here soon but...IMHO the Browns finally got the unis right last year (2005).

The stripes with 2 brown and middle orange on the pants...

2006-05-09-frye.jpg

photo_charlie.jpg

And with the all brown socks even though I kindda miss the stripes...I thought it was these where the best so far and then they go and change them after they finally got it right... :mad:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not feelin' Brownie on the sleeve. I think if anything you should use the B-football. Otherwise, move the TV numbers from the shoulder and stick 'em on the sleeve.

And I'll co-sign to the pants striping needing to match the jersey striping and the need for orange pants in general.

That said, I could definetly see the Browns using these... which says a lot because any change they'd make to their unis would come under INTENSE scrutiny.

Archived