Chicago 2016 Needs New Logo

Sodboy13

Jeez, you'd think some Olympic official would have noticed this one of the first 28,000 times they saw the logo, but whatever.

>>2016 Olympic Bid Forced To Get New Logo

(Chicago, IL) -- The City of Chicago's bid for the 2016 Olympics will have to find a new logo. The International Olympic Committee says cites can't use rings, torches or other Olympic symbols unless they've actually been awarded the games. Chicago's 2016 logo features the city's skyline emerging from a torch, and it's been featured in a major marketing campaign. Officials say they're working to redesign the logo.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I feel like the rings would be logical to bar the candidate cities from using, but the "other Olympic symbols" thing is going a bit far. That could be interpreted in a very broad way, and could be used to bar just about any host committee logo. I just think they'd offer SOME leeway there, but I guess not.

It's too bad, because I really like that logo, too.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

What about the Statue of Liberty? Sure she holds a torch already... but wasn't this a violation then, too?

olympics_nyc.jpg

Just something to think about.

Those are IOC rules. It's the USOC that's in charge of determining what US city will be bidding, and they clearly don't have the same rules.

All I see is a city sitting on top of a stalagmite.

Big ups for proper differentiation of 'stalactite' and 'stalagmite.'

Except not. Remember kids, a stalactite hangs tight to the ceiling. A stalagmite might fall over if you kick it!

Since the thing in the logo tapers downwards, it's a stalactite.

The rings, I understand, it's a specific tradmark, but did they Trademark ALL Torches?

It's a graphical representation, it is not a burning torch...

that's silly...

Why is that a rule?

It would influence the "smart" judges???

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

All I see is a city sitting on top of a stalagmite.

Big ups for proper differentiation of 'stalactite' and 'stalagmite.'

Except not. Remember kids, a stalactite hangs tight to the ceiling. A stalagmite might fall over if you kick it!

Since the thing in the logo tapers downwards, it's a stalactite.

I was always taught that StalaCtites hang from the Ceiling and StalaGmites grow from the Ground.

I'm glad someone else caught it, too.

When I read this story in the paper this morning my first thought was, "Chicago skyline in flames? What are they celebrating the Great Chicago Fire?" I know UIC is the Flames, but really. That would be like Atlanta representing itself with a flaming skyline, or better yet New Orleans representing itself with flooded destroyed houses. Yes, I know I'm going to the extreme, but sometimes people obviously don't think things out clearly. It's why suits should not design!

Archived