Green is the Colour

NickNickNick

Riders unveil their retro look for Labour Day - finally.

(I've known about this for 2 years, but they wouldn't say what year or or anything like that until this week.)

Looks good - a little plain.

jersey.jpg

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

Riders unveil their retro look for Labour Day - finally.

(I've known about this for 2 years, but they wouldn't say what year or or anything like that until this week.)

Looks good - a little plain.

jersey.jpg

Plain yes, but 1000 times better than the black shoulder striped crap they wear now. And any idea as to when are they planning on updating that cheap helmet decal? Their marketing rep has emailed me two years in a row telling me that they were making a change in the upcoming season. Two years later, the same bush look.

zzPEfBm.png

I also heard the decal was to be updated...I think they're locked into their black look for one more season, but I think after that they'll go back to just green/white/silver with a new helmet design. OR so I've heard...

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

Not even the authentic or replica jerseys are sold with numbers in the CFL. What's the problem with CFL making the numbers cost extra? A CFL replica jersey with numbers cost $162 American, while an NFL replica jersey that they only sell numbered is $75. Plus they're both made by Reebok. It's just never made any sense to me.

well, there is a difference.

in canada, and specifically the store i work at, CFL jerseys are $90. there is no different levels of replicas, or authentic jerseys. just one jersey, which is a good replica. cresting costs $100 and is authentic, stitched cresting. no screen printed stuff., which would bring it up to $190.

reebok canada does not sell authentics, or blank jerseys to its retailers, or to anyone in canada i assume. all you can buy are the screen printed jerseys or the stitched replicas in only the names of players supplied, nothing else. screened is $110, stitched is $150.

there aren't any authentic CFL jerseys sold at retailers, nor any authentic NFL in canada.

Based on the old original green and whites... these should have been brought in last year for the anniversary game it looked ridiculous to have all those old players like lancaster, reed, and company in the new jerseys... i actually based my Saskatchewan Knights retros on this design and i did it last year... they are wearing retro helmets too on labour day... no not leather... and they are wearing their silver pants... you would think they would have gotten some white for this occasion... but i bought mine and ill be wearing it sunday...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Yes this is their new alternate... cfl rules state you can only have 3 active jerseys... so the black jerseys are officially retired...

Well, those were Roy's babies...

Hopefully, the Bombers will be wearing the gold jerseys for this game, it should look sweet.

And Greg, look around the bus tours, ask for a guy named Jeff G. He's a buddy, tell him you know me, and chances are, he'll beat the :censored: out of you, being a Rider fan and all :)

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Alright, I'm ready to comment on these.

While I like the idea of a throwback alternate, here is why it didn't work, and why I won't be buying one (even though I'm a die hard fan and season ticket holder).

First, a couple of pics to remind everyone of what the original looked like.

Lancaster.R1.JPGjaster.jpg

And, what they will actually be wearing. (As modeled by our homely CEO Jim Hopson.)

riderretro082707.jpg

- The number font doesn't match (check the 2 on Lancaster and on Hopson)

- There was no logo on the sleeve. The numbers were on the sleeve, and there was another set of stripes below the numbers.

- According to the Leader-Post, they will be worn with the current silver pants (and I assume current helmet)

I really wish they would have gone all out and got another set of pants and helmets, not to mention a jersey that they actually wore. And I know, there's not much room on the sleeve these days, but they could have at least put the numbers on the sleeves.

I just think they really half-assed this one.

K when they unveiled them they said they are based... yes they are missing the bottom stripes and im glad they are just looks better... you will probbaly be pisssed to know that the stripes dont even go all the way around the arm like they do on the old jersey... 2 how the hell can you get a clear look on either 2s... 3 when they unveiled them they did say numbers were on the sleeves they just wanted to feature the old logo... should it have been bigger i think so but thats neither here nor there... and as mentioned before it was stated they will be wearing throwback helmets...

and Lee... a buddy of yours you say... does he look like Linus or Snoopy...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

K when they unveiled them they said they are based... yes they are missing the bottom stripes and im glad they are just looks better... you will probbaly be pisssed to know that the stripes dont even go all the way around the arm like they do on the old jersey... 2 how the hell can you get a clear look on either 2s... 3 when they unveiled them they did say numbers were on the sleeves they just wanted to feature the old logo... should it have been bigger i think so but thats neither here nor there... and as mentioned before it was stated they will be wearing throwback helmets...

Are you posting the TajMcCall Way©? Because you're just not funny.

Of course, being from Saskatchewan might help.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I realize the stripes don't go all the way around... that's pretty much inevitable with the cut of today's jerseys. What I think they should have done is something like the Colts have, with the numbers on the sleeves. If there's not enough room for the second set of stripes, so be it.

Maybe I should have explained the number font a bit more, but the 2 on Lancaster has the diagonal crossing part, whereas Hopson (wearing 52) has a 2 with a horizontal crossing part. I hope that helps. That's the most obvious difference.

The fact that they'll have throwback helmets is a big plus. Bad assumption on my part.

I never said they were claiming these to be totally accurate, but I wish they would have committed to accuracy, because they could have got much closer than this. The fact that they're wearing the current silver pants just screams laziness.

Having said all that, anything that forces the retirement of the black jersey deserves a thumbs up from me.

Archived