Biggest upgrades/downgrades

Phils Phan

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Patriots fan, I also have to mention the huge downgrade from the 1995-1999 to the current set. The 0s set had such a beautiful shade of blue and a little more use of red, it was absolutely perfect. Even the huge shoulder logos kinda worked on that set.

NFL:

-Vikings .. I love what they wear now besides the black facemask and the numbers. Either put the serifs on both numbers or none, not just one.

Since Nike took over in 2012, the Vikings uniform change is the ONLY one I like.

There's only one thing you left out that makes it a complete thumbs-up change ......... the socks for the purple pants, then need to be white at the top, not a continuation of the purple. They could put that shoulder striping in the centre but those socks are just all wrong.

icon_25560133.jpg

I agree with expos. Their old uniforms in pictures from the 90s look really odd and outdated to me.

tumblr_lgt1x5Tnst1qccki6.jpg

Bonus points for featuring Randy Johnson as an Expos.

----------

Speaking of the Lakets, the worst part about their set are the NOBs:

635496973384145860-USATSI-7116946.jpg

Brutal.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Downgrade

kobe-bryant-late-draft-pick-lakers.jpg

To

KobeShaq.jpg

That was actually an upgrade. Their "classic" look always looked cheap and amateurish, between the poorly rendered wordmark and those awful drop shadows on the numbers. The current uniforms cleaned up everything that was bad about the previous set without changing too much. About the only things they should change are getting rid of the wishbone collar and using a "LOS ANGELES" wordmark on the road jerseys.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The updated wordmark is better, the loss of the drop-shadows is most certainly not, and the wishbone collars are awful. All they really had to do was clean up the script. That the Lakers looked a little handmade is something I can't say I'd mind: much like how the Yankees played in a crumbling concrete dump in the Bronx, it kept them grounded. Not looking like a perfectly designed corporate enterprise sort of reminded you that the Lakers were just a team in Los Angeles that people from Los Angeles would like, if that makes any sense.

Not sure how Los Angeles would look on the road. Both Lakers uniforms just saying "Lakers" are, sigh, iconic.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

There's gotta be a happy medium between having no drop shadow and the over-the-top one they had before.

Take the current look, make the numbers purple, add moderate drop-shadows, add neck collars, use a block font for the names, have them be single-ply, and you have a winner.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Not sure how Los Angeles would look on the road. Both Lakers uniforms just saying "Lakers" are, sigh, iconic.

I don't think the purple ones are particularly iconic. The gold ones are, to be sure, but they still managed to change the color and style of the numbers, and change the whole shape of it, while retaining its iconic-ness. I think they could easily change the road wordmark.

Sharks12.png

Upgrade (over previous set but downgrade from original jersey)

Sharks17.png

I'd argue that the latest incarnation of the Sharks set is a downgrade from what was released in 07. Waist stripes are important and there was no need for them to adopt a laceup collar. Had they just eliminated the shoulder yoke and left everything else as is, I would agree with you

Archived