Football Rules that Need to Change

OnWis97

The best part about moving the PAT back is dumb coaches trying to over think it now and going for 2 in normal situations. Get ready for 11-6 games everyone!

As for the length of the games, as I'm getting more and more into soccer, I'm come to appreciate the how concise a game is. Every game is over in 2 hours no matter the level or what happens (except weather delays of course which use the same rules as NFL games) Went to the Bears-Colts preseason game and started looking at my watch in the middle of the 2nd quarter. I love(d?) football but it can be excruciating to watch anymore.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best part about moving the PAT back is dumb coaches trying to over think it now and going for 2 in normal situations. Get ready for 11-6 games everyone!

As for the length of the games, as I'm getting more and more into soccer, I'm come to appreciate the how concise a game is. Every game is over in 2 hours no matter the level or what happens (except weather delays of course which use the same rules as NFL games) Went to the Bears-Colts preseason game and started looking at my watch in the middle of the 2nd quarter. I love(d?) football but it can be excruciating to watch anymore.

can a soccer game be snowed out, or would they keep trying to play like they do in football?

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Only in the regular season if a game is still tied after one period of overtime, it ends in a tie. In the postseason, they keep playing until there is a score.

Actually, the NFL unnecessarily complicated things by deciding that if the first team to get the ball on overtime kicks a field goal, they must kick off to the other team and only if the team ahead by a field goal prevents the other team from scoring does that team win the game. Only from the second possession onward would a field goal automatically win the game. Only a touchdown or safety automatically wins the game, regardless of the circumstances.

As I said, the league should return to the old "sudden death" overtime rule: ANY score in overtime automatically ends the game with a victory for the team that scored. Period.

"I love(d?) football but it can be excruciating to watch anymore."

Especially with Roger Goodell screwing up the game by eliminating hitting and continually handcuffing defenses. I also think the new overtime rule has to go.

Especially with Roger Goodell screwing up the game by eliminating hitting and continually handcuffing defenses. I also think the new overtime rule has to go.

Because that is what the game of football needs to be... unsafer.

As I said, the league should return to the old "sudden death" overtime rule: ANY score in overtime automatically ends the game with a victory for the team that scored. Period.

Does not work in a league that has virtually engineered defense out of the game.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Because that is what the game of football needs to be... unsafer.

Some of the hitting rules have gone overboard. For example, hitting a QB. In a lot of cases, the allowable tackling part of a QB's body is smaller than the strike zone in baseball. You really can only safely hit a QB in the waist.

"Because that is what the game needs to be...unsafer."

No, it just needs to be football again.

"Does not work in a league that has virtually engineered defense out of the game."

That's the underlying theme of my posts about the game. The game needs defense and hitting (as a part of defense) brought back, AND the old overtime rules.

"Get rid of the helmets, and you won't have to worry about the hits."

Then you would just have more head and facial injuries. Plus the helmets are an important part--in fact, THE part--of team identity.

"Because that is what the game needs to be...unsafer."

No, it just needs to be football again.

"Does not work in a league that has virtually engineered defense out of the game."

That's the underlying theme of my posts about the game. The game needs defense and hitting (as a part of defense) brought back, AND the old overtime rules.

"Get rid of the helmets, and you won't have to worry about the hits."

Then you would just have more head and facial injuries. Plus the helmets are an important part--in fact, THE part--of team identity.

Wrong. As far as I know, rugby doesn't have the same issues with head injuries football does because players can't use their helmet as a device to help them tackle.

IUe6Hvh.png

The dumb fair catch rule in college football. When a guy is waving people off from the ball he's obviously not calling a fair catch and should be able to return the ball.

I have a good football rule that needs to change. Make the NFL salary cap at about, 50 million.

EDIT: You know what, that is way too high. Let's move the decimal point, and cap it at 5.0 million for the entire team

Yeah, and have the owners make all the money while the guys who play the game get significantly less.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

The dumb fair catch rule in college football. When a guy is waving people off from the ball he's obviously not calling a fair catch and should be able to return the ball.

I have a good football rule that needs to change. Make the NFL salary cap at about, 50 million.

EDIT: You know what, that is way too high. Let's move the decimal point, and cap it at 5.0 million for the entire team

Yeah, and have the owners make all the money while the guys who play the game get significantly less.

my hope for that is that the low salary cap will make no one want to play, the NFL gets shut down, and rugby and soccer take the spot that the NFL did. prefer rugby, but soccer works well too

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

There is one reason why I would like to get rid of the salary cap, and that is that it makes it a lot more difficult to keep teams together from year to year. Yes, without the cap we would have a few competitive teams that can outspend everybody else, but at least we would have rivalries between teams once again, which helps make the game more competitive and fun to watch. And why were there rivalries? Partly because the same players would be on the same teams year after year, and every season they would pass on to the new guys on the team who their enemies were and whom it was most important to beat, both teams' won-lost records notwithstanding.

One can say the same about free agency as well, but that needs to be kept, at least to provide a bargaining advantage to players.

Archived