LA Clippers logo (help wanted)

chipper12

Wouldn't it be a pair of scissors. Get it "Clippers"

Ok bad joke. anyway awesome job I have a suggestion. The sails would look better with a basketball pattern rather than plain white

Or keep the white and make the grey depth perception lines into a basketball, something like this:

nike_basketball_champs_2.gif

This is definitely a step in the right direction for a Clippers logo. I echo what HVF said: either the ship and wordmark are too small or the circle is too big. I'm more in favor of shrinking the circle down a bit. Secondly, I'm not so big on a basketball design for the sail's shading, as it's absolutely great as it is. If it's done right, the basketball could look good as well, but you'd have to make sure it was good. I also think adding a "Los Angeles" above the Clippers script would make it look more like a basketball logo. The only NBA teams that don't use both the city name and nickname in the primary logo are the Indiana Pacers and Washington Wizards. Lastly, I don't dig the grey background. Make it look like it's sailing out on the ocean, like try adding a light blue background with a couple of white clouds if you really want to. I know people always say that the Clippers could benefit from making their blue a light blue, but I think you could incorporate both blues in this very well. Can't wait to see where you go with this!

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

It's definitely an upgrade, nice work. I'm not too sure about having the basketball there bur maybe it would look good if the background was a different blue. A little experimenting in Paint tells me that a good option would be using the color with the RGB values of 98, 177, and 237. Try it out and see how it looks to you.

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

the type is just pasted on. you need to "tie it in" with the rest of the logo better. what i would do is forget about about the boat (red part). put Clippers in the center and treat the word mark as the boat; put the sails above it. then, make LA much smaller, you've got to establish some hierarchy with the type. to finish it off, all the key strokes need to be the same. that blue line around the outside of the basketball should be the same thickness around the sail and the type

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

As miken623 and KGB_slicedbread have pointed out, a Clipper is much larger than the little sailboat you have here. The original Clipper logo only featured three triangular sails at the very front of a clipper. Here is a drawing of what we're talking about.

sailing-ship-32.jpg

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

Archived