Miami Dolphins- A worthwhile helmet gradient?

dakotapalm

As I was posting the first NFL division on my blog ( http://dakotapalmhelmets.blogspot.com/ ) I was thinking about the oft-mention "White Helmet division" label of the AFC East. Especially, this would be the case if New England ever went back to a white helmet which would make sense in my book, as the Patriots should have red, white and blue as their color scheme.

However... what if the Dolphins used their main teal color a little more in their helmet to allow the logo to make sense. For years as a kid, I thought the dolphin was jumping through a hoop; I never realized that that "hoop" was supposed to be the sun.

In the following concept, the blue-to-teal gradient helps connect the representation of the sun by adding the beautiful south Florida ocean below. I recognize it is a little "out there," but it has an actual significance here, and helps make the helmet distinctive.

Miami%2BDolphins%2BConcept%2B2015%2BA%2B

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to hate it off principle but I don't absolutely want to burn it with fire so that's a start. You're right, if it worked for any team it might be this one because it does look like the ocean the dolphin would be jumping out of.

I think you could even make it more wild and make the logo bigger to look like he's actually jumping out? Like the gradient is the horizon line. That might be too far and may be me jumping the shark (pun intended) with this idea.

The premise here is a unconventional but great idea, but it has the same downfall as the Jaguars helmet, it is too hard of a gradient. Luckily, Miami's color scheme allows for this sort of thing. If you can make the transition from teal to navy smoother, you make really have something here.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Thanks for the feedback. Trying to play with some of the suggestions, first I softened the gradient (although not drastically, to keep both Navy and Teal in the helmet), then enlarged the dolphin logo. I have one helmet with no stripe, and another with an edited stripe. I feel like the stripe is such a part of Dolphins' history, the helmet needs one.

Miami%20Dolphins%20Concept%202015%20C_zp

Miami%20Dolphins%20Concept%202015%20D_zp

Interesting idea. I also think the stripes don't work with the gradient.

The issue I have with your idea is that in this logo the dolphin is swimming under water, not jumping out of water. The sunspot has always bothered me with this logo because its underwater, yet the sun is there as well. Their old logo depicted a dolphin jumping out of water; this one does not. I'm not trying to say that I hate your idea, but I at least wanted to mention a potential issue.

award%20sig.png

FYI, with this edit, this is one example with NO stripe, the bottom example is with a tapered stripe, almost like Denver's in reverse.

Davidmiller, maybe I'm late in hearing this, but I'd not heard of the new logo as a change to underwater. Is that official?

El Scorcho, I drew it thinking it would be ridiculous myself. I don't like gradients, but this just seemed to work. Thanks everyone for the feedback. Let me know how else it should be changed.

Miami%20Dolphins%20Concept%202015%20C_zp

Miami%20Dolphins%20Concept%202015%20D_zp

Davidmiller, maybe I'm late in hearing this, but I'd not heard of the new logo as a change to underwater. Is that official?

No. The dolphin is still jumping.

Dolphin_Jump_by_Atmosphotography.jpg

Anywho. I find myself agreeing with everyone else. This is surprisingly not terrible looking. Obviously, the gradient would need to be done perfectly, but this is a very fun, very unique idea.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

No. The dolphin is still jumping.

Dolphin_Jump_by_Atmosphotography.jpg

Anywho. I find myself agreeing with everyone else. This is surprisingly not terrible looking. Obviously, the gradient would need to be done perfectly, but this is a very fun, very unique idea.

The way the tail and fins are moving seem to make is seem as if it is swimming. I know others mentioned it when the logo came out. I don't remember who anymore. I don't think that is officially from the team, though. Thanks Lafarge, for showing this picture. The logo still looks like it is swimming to me, but this picture shows that it could be jumping.

award%20sig.png

This is gradient done right, in my book. As said before it works quite well with the Dolphins color scheme and logo because the dolphin seems to be jumping/flopping out of the water-like gradient. As much as I loved the classic Dolphins look, if they're gonna change it, then I'd love something experimental/creative like this that's actually well-executed unlike Jacksonville's.

It looks much better without the stripe. The stripe looks out of place and kind of crams/clutters the helmet with too many things going on.

ICXC NIKA

I too was ready to hate this, but it does actually work. I know the blue is suppose to represent the ocean, but I would like to see you just use their primary aqua color for the gradient. I think it would look really cool with that aqua color coming off their home jerseys and up into their helmet in a gradient from aqua to white. Also agree that it looks better without the stripes. How about even kind of a wave pattern in it? Or maybe that's just too crazy! lol

Archived