NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

Your "curse on both their houses" doesn't work here.

Bernke chose to be childish and nasty when someone else was getting screwed, and now he wants the entire world to come to his aid when he feels he's being screwed. Far as I'm concerned, this is the only good thing about the probable relocation.

This is just basically the raw emotion of sports right?

Bad things that happen to your team are bad. Good things that happen to your team are good and deserved because of the bad things that happened to your team. Screw everyone who disagrees.

The NFL thrives on this emotion. I'm not absolving Bernie of hypocrisy, but I'm saying it's something most people are guilty of in sports.

I dunno, if the Post-Dispatch is forced to RIF Bernie as a consequence of the Rams moving, I can't help but think that this is objectively a victory for journalism. Mind you, I've never read his baseball stuff, so I'm just going off of the football side of things.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your "curse on both their houses" doesn't work here.

Bernke chose to be childish and nasty when someone else was getting screwed, and now he wants the entire world to come to his aid when he feels he's being screwed. Far as I'm concerned, this is the only good thing about the probable relocation.

This is just basically the raw emotion of sports right?

Bad things that happen to your team are bad. Good things that happen to your team are good and deserved because of the bad things that happened to your team. Screw everyone who disagrees.

The NFL thrives on this emotion. I'm not absolving Bernie of hypocrisy, but I'm saying it's something most people are guilty of in sports.

Hardly. Most sports fans are able to maintain a semblance of rationality from time to time.

But he's not a fan. He's a journalist. Or at least he's supposed to be. Behaving like the worst kind of fan is beneath him, and beneath his station. He loses all credibility.

It's one thing for fans to whinge about "fairness" and "rules" and "the process". But this man has a Hall of Fame vote. He has to have just a little more prospective than your average internet troll.

He was a columnist, and now he's a radio host. I think there's a pretty blurry line there on whether he has to remain objective in those roles.

The Board of Aldermen moved forward with the new version of the stadium bill today. It will pass officially on Friday.

Sigh.

I don't know what's changed to make you say that. Nobody seriously thought the city would reject the plan, least of all you. But have they closed the budget gap? Have they done anything to address the deficiencies Grubman talked about that make the plan substandard?

And yes, I had forgotten that Betnie is now a radio host. He's the perfect guy - objectivity is not required, and neither is consistency, reason or intellect. He has the perfect radio blather. ?

It's not that St. Louis passed it that has me feeling that way. It's that all in the past week we've found out that the Raiders and Chargers are staying strongly committed to each other, the LA committee (via Richardson, collusion concerns aside) has been pushing the Carson plan forward, and now apparently the changes in the STL stadium plan are largely driven by working with the LA committee (reportedly led by McNair).

All Grubman would commit to was that the plan wasn't good enough to get Kroenke to sign on the dotted line. He even admitted getting the owners to block Kroenke was another story.

And that seems to be the story we're heading towards.

Not a prediction or a statement of fact. It's not even what I want to happen any more. Just seems the most likely of the outcomes at this point to me. All remains fluid.

To, me, because of Ricardson getting involved when he shouldn't have, it all but guarantees the Rams will be one of the teams moving.

IMO, it seems like the owners prefer Kronke's stadium over the Carson stadium, but because Spanos has been struggling for 15 years to get something done in San Diego, they feel like he deserves LA. Which would be fine and dandy if he was the first owner to announce he was building a stadium in LA, but he didn't. He only did so because someone else had the initiative to get something done.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I think the owners like Spanos better, and would probably prefer that it is Spanos.

But business is business, and Kroenke's plan is by far the most sound. That's why you're hearing noise about the NFL putting money into a stadium in Oakland; they need to make sure all three teams are taken care of somehow.

Bob McNair is just one of 29 owners with a vote. (I'm assuming the 3 involved have to sit it out.)

He is on the LA committee, though, and he seems be leaning pretty strongly towards one outcome.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2015/12/bob-mcnair-discusses-nfls-possible-move-back-to-l-a/

With this next week's game in San Diego against Miami quite possibly being the last game the Chargers play there, Dolphins owner Steve Ross (who supports Kroenke/Inglewood) will meet with Dean Spanos. Other than that, the article covers much of what we already know.

The main players on supporting each project are listed, but do we have a rough count of who (supposedly) supports which project?

Once the committee makes its recommendation, how much weight do they have? Certain individual owners will, of course, but McNair? I honestly don't know the answer.

I believe the last update was that it isn't even a certainty the committee will make a recommendation. So who knows.

Exactly. I'd be surprised, for example, if the Bidwills or Irsays voted against any of the applications. I'd be equally surprised if Kroenke, Spanos or Davis voted for any of the others.

I'd be at least a little surprised if anyone had the 24 'yes' votes needed to move, at least at this point, especially given recent developments. The only one I'd think a lock to move is the Chargers, because "they've been trying for 15 years" and most everyone in the owners' clique likes Spanos. But the clique also dislikes Davis which, as business-like as these guys are playing it, will be a factor in the end.

nav-logo.png

No news to report here, but Philip Rivers acknowledges what could be the last game in San Diego.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/philip_rivers_ill_soak_in_potential_final_game_in_san_diego/s1_12680_20061487

The sports media around San Diego in the last week have gone from being defiant and optimistic to downright defeatist. They're giving off the vibe that it really is over and this is the San Diego Chargers final game. And based on comments and actions by the owners in the last week it's not hard to see why. The relocation committee seems to be lining up behind Carson and pushing St. Louis through to the exclusion of Kroneke's wishes. If one of two of Kroenke's supporters turn, it's all over.

I think the owners like Spanos better, and would probably prefer that it is Spanos.

But business is business, and Kroenke's plan is by far the most sound. That's why you're hearing noise about the NFL putting money into a stadium in Oakland; they need to make sure all three teams are taken care of somehow.

Which is why it's becoming painfully obvious the Chargers are one of the teams moving to LA. The league is hinting at putting some money into Oakland, they're hinting at more money going to St. Louis which would put it over the top on funding. The only city they're ignoring on the assistance front is San Diego. If they deny the Chargers LA they're up :censored: creek in San Diego as their scorched earth mouthpiece Fabiani has done a bang up job of creating mistrust and indifference toward the Chargers in San Diego.

Archived